Author Topic: Omnitron - Does anyone else have a problem with this card?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline TheRealTuna

• Prems 4 Sale!
    • View Profile
Re: Omnitron - Does anyone else have a problem with this card?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 12:13:18 PM »
Don't nerf my shrine plz, I will be in tears  :'( :'( :'(

I don't find omnitron to be overly powerful in any real way, but buffing the morale cost of the tokens isn't a bad idea. Gonna have a tough enough time doing away with them anyway with shield gen and high stats, so even that won't change it too much anyway.

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »
And as far as stall goes, if you don't want to play characters which the game is based upon and just play abilities plus, then your getting what you chose. I hope that I never see mill style decks return to a point of prominence in this game, it is a boring play style. Like a little girl sitting on the other side of the fence not showing her face but throwing stones.

Stall isn't fun when it's overpowered. Mad monk wasn't fun to play for me. And back in the days of COV it sounds like it was too easy as well.

Stall should be about predicting what's in your opponents deck and saving removal for the right time, or the right threat. Controlling the board until you can activate your win condition. Meanwhile your opponent is putting pressure on to try and force you to use your removal inefficiently, allowing the opponent to play their big threats safely. This has never been the game in IW.

But against Omnitron, removing Artifacts is not an effective solution as most artifact removal costs more than the artifact, so you're loosing tempo despite playing a direct counter (kinda logic is that?). Secondly, they still get Omnitron out anyway by saving artifacts and using them in a one turn burst.

Removing Omnitron is too hard, and if you do, they just play a second one.

The more and more I play Hearthstone, the more and more I'm hating the late game cards in IW. It feels like they've got the power level completely wrong on the release of every single expensive character.

But playing Omnitron wins you the game. Only 3 COV stands a chance and it's not easy for them.

This is not balance. Meanwhile cards like AO Shun are almost completely useless. How hard is it to make a decent but not overpowered late game card? Every other TCG makes it work.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:47:07 PM by 182jaja182 »

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 06:24:15 PM »
I hope that I never see mill style decks return to a point of prominence in this game, it is a boring play style. Like a little girl sitting on the other side of the fence not showing her face but throwing stones.

And one could argue that melee rush decks require the tactical finesse of an inebriated clown. Like two teenagers playing a game of chicken in their parent's car without brakes. But I digress.

To respond to jaja, lets get something straight - Ao Shun is NOT useless - his buddies are. Omnimind is not OP, GI is just overall a way better faction than DoD. If DoD wasn't laughably bad at stalling then Ao Shun would see far more play and be incredibly useful. As it stands, its just way easier to make cards more powerful or all around stronger with GI than to increase their toughness. Look at some buff comparison's.

Tinkerer - +3/+3 every turn for 1 cost
Daode - +0/+3 every other turn for 3 cost

Okay so sure Daode gives the buff to all your creatures, but the 3 cost also slows your tempo and gives you no offensive benefit. Against even one card that single card will be gaining 6 power to your 3 toughness and ultimately will simply outpace your defensive bonuses.

Daode's Protection - +0/+2 for 2 cost
Lucca - +3/+3 for 4 cost and you can CTA her (for 2) for an additional buff

The problem isn't that Omnimind is too powerful of a card, the problem is that DoD is just bad at being able to stall. I'll confess I like the longer games and DoD simply cannot stall as well as CoV or GI. Its also way too easy for FD to push out of the way, OOS can just fly over your head, and Sleepers can simply overwhelm them with numbers and om-nom corpses if they need morale.

CoV can be stall + removal
Gi can be stall + buffs
DoD is stall + half-buffs
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 08:10:56 PM »
what they really need to change is have morale partially scale off stats

Offline Jelle

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 09:49:06 PM »
Omnitron is one of the few cards I dislike for being incredibly strong but also unreasonably hard to actually play, making the deck either hit or miss depending on the matchup. Hard counters are boring.

That said some heavy duty artifact removal counters it quite easily. Corrupt machinery is especially hilarious against it, if you're running that purity.

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 11:36:46 PM »
Omnitron is one of the few cards I dislike for being incredibly strong but also unreasonably hard to actually play, making the deck either hit or miss depending on the matchup. Hard counters are boring.

That said some heavy duty artifact removal counters it quite easily. Corrupt machinery is especially hilarious against it, if you're running that purity.

Corrupt machinery is good against omnitron. But 3p Soa is not good against 3p GI. So it's almost never relevant.

I don't know of any 2p soa decks.

Offline OneTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 07:23:47 AM »
The answer is simple, just increase the moral cost of the tokens to a reasonable number for what is effectively a 15/15. Then Stall can make a game of it, while the effectiveness of the card against other decks isn't damaged.

I totaly agree with the morale cost! Adding to that, the production of the tokens could start at the beginning of the round.

So something like Calamity makes sense to play. You can rest for a moment and stall the game to a fortunate card draw, which might turn the tide again.

Right now, the game doesnt even reward you to keep 2 Artifact-Hate cards (while knowing, that 12 ressources for 2x Vandalize is just unrealistic in most cases) the whole match up in your hand, untill Omnitron shows up. In most unfortunate match-ups, the 1st attack-wave is already the final hit. Thats puts the player of Omnitron to the situation, that it doesnt even matter if he plays it on his priortiy or not.

Sometimes a little bit more skill should be needed, that if you want 2 tokens for sure, you have to play the card at the opponents priority. So production of the token starts at your priority!

But as usual, the well known counters to this kind of deck are existing. You only have to play Sleepers, CoV or FD... or mixed them up for the Clear Shot deck. Its still a shame, that a faction like DoD doesnt have any realistic answer to Omnitron.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:28:29 AM by OneTwo »