Author Topic: A couple questions from a newbie  (Read 1826 times)

Offline brainsoverbrawn

• View Profile
A couple questions from a newbie
« on: February 28, 2015, 05:07:48 PM »
Hi all!

I am a relatively new player to Infinity Wars. I have played a lot of Hearthstone and finally decided to try another digital card game, and Infinity Wars just seems like the best choice. As a newbie, I have a couple questions:

What is the best way to learn the game other than just playing the game? Hearthstone absolutely spoiled me with a huge streaming community, thousands of Youtube videos, and dozens of dedicated websites with decklists and guides. I understand that Infinity Wars has a smaller playerbase, but are there similar resources?

How important are legendaries and epics compared to rares and uncommons/commons? Looking at "meta" decks such as genocide or triple genesis (I am definitely a control player) they all seem to run Martyr Golem and Calamity. How important are these cards for the deck as a whole and do they have budget replacements?

Is this the right part in the forums to post these questions?

Thanks!

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
Re: A couple questions from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 05:25:14 PM »
There are a few decent streamers and youtubers out there for Infinity Wars - but it is far more scarce than Hearthstone for sure. The best way to learn is to just play and ask in global chat whenever you have a question - the vast majority of players are friendly and helpful.

Most epics and legendaries are flat out unplayable. Martyr Golem and Calamity are some of the exceptions. They are not necessary in most lists, but they are fairly powerful cards. Most good decks consist primarily of commons and uncommons, with a small handful of rares and maybe one or two epics/legendaries.

Also I, personally, would not consider 3p GI 'meta' at the current time, and Genocide is about to get hit with nerfs. For a new player investing in Geno would not be the best option.

Offline brainsoverbrawn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 05:38:43 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

How did you know that Genocide is being nerfed? I am not doubting you or anything, I am interested in knowing where I can find this type of information.

Since Genocide is going to be nerfed do you have suggestions for other control or midrange decks? Aggro decks in Infinity Wars are definitely more fun and strategic than aggro decks in Hearthstone, but ultimately I have a defensive playstyle that simply gels well with control or midrange decks.

Offline NomiFromUR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

How did you know that Genocide is being nerfed? I am not doubting you or anything, I am interested in knowing where I can find this type of information.

Since Genocide is going to be nerfed do you have suggestions for other control or midrange decks? Aggro decks in Infinity Wars are definitely more fun and strategic than aggro decks in Hearthstone, but ultimately I have a defensive playstyle that simply gels well with control or midrange decks.
He's in the Council, which are pretty much beta testers and brainstormers, and Teremus said so in the pre-patch notes posted a few days ago.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:20:38 PM by NomiFromUR »

Offline goobypls

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 02:57:13 AM »
You should check merlinix on twitch, he's a very good deckbuilder in both constructed and draft. I learned a lot by just watching high ranked players stream.

Offline DrayGon777

• Friendly Neighborhood Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 03:09:36 PM »
At the moment, it seems that Aggro and Control are in the top running for the meta. I'm not a high ranked player and don't really play that competitively, but I do read the forums pretty much daily. For control, I'd suggest running at least some CoV since they are the primary control faction and from what I've gathered tend to be in a lot of the higher tier decks, though one of their cards people used a lot is also being fixed which may lower it's viability somewhat.

Exiles are a bit less about control, but are still fairly good. They also tend to be a bit more RNG dependent. Considering that Hearthstone has a good deal of cards that have randomized effects, it might not be so bad.

Again, since I'm not a top player, and considering I mostly prefer midrange (which currently finds it hard in the current meta), my advice might not be the best, but I do try to stay well informed regardless.
Just so you guys know, if you're ever vs WWK, just start putting out random numbers and mathematical symbols, he will surrender.

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 05:59:26 PM »
Control isn't really that viable at the moment.

The main reason is probably because there is no efficient way to kill 10/10 thralls early game. There health is too high for damage removal to be efficient and thralls are cheaper than any kill card.

Genocide is probably the closest you'll get to control, with CTA, Mass Death and Kidknapper.

Back on topic, I also wish there were more youtube videos to watch. I'd be nice to see more metagame discussion threads and people post their decks more.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxstLqzz_9RZ4SLrOB4JveA?spfreload=10
^ This guy has some cool videos, although very outdated, his deck building videos inadvertently teach a lot of basics about the game.

Other than that, playing the game and talking to the people you meet is the best way to learn.

Offline brainsoverbrawn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 10:29:16 PM »
When I looked at all the somewhat recent decklists I could find, Genocide stood out as most fitting to my playstyle. It would be a deck I am willing to invest in, but if it's going to be nerfed soon, I don't want to invest in a deck that will no longer be viable in ranked, which is the game mode I am most interested in. So I guess I am wondering how strong nerfs in Infinity Wars are. I know nerfs in Hearthstone often make the card or deck unplayable competitively until later expansions. How strong are nerfs in Infinity Wars?

Also, is the Verore card that is being fixed the Tormented Thrall? It seems extremely prolific in the decklists I have seen.

Another deck I saw that interests me is the Defiant Hermit deck. It seems to focus on aggressively buffing tokens, which I also enjoy, despite my slight aversion to pure rush decks. Is that deck perhaps more beginner friendly with a less uncertain future?

Thanks for all the help, and I am definitely going to check out the videos!

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 10:34:25 PM »
When I looked at all the somewhat recent decklists I could find, Genocide stood out as most fitting to my playstyle. It would be a deck I am willing to invest in, but if its going to be nerfed soon, I don't want to invest in a deck that will no longer be viable in ranked, which is the game mode I am most interested in. So I guess I am wondering how strong nerfs in Infinity Wars are. I know nerfs in Hearthstone often make the card or deck unplayable competitively until later expansions. How strong are nerfs in Infinity Wars?

Also, is the Verore card that is being fixed the Tormented Thrall? It seems extremely prolific in the decklists I have seen.

Another deck I saw that interests me is the Defiant Hermit deck. It seems to focus on aggressively buffing tokens, which I also enjoy, despite my slight aversion to pure rush decks. Is that deck perhaps more beginner friendly with a less uncertain future?

Thanks for all the help, and I am definitely going to check out the videos!

The only nerf that has been announced for Genocide at this time is the Tormented Thrall change. Genocide will still be viable - myself and some other players have already worked out new lists for post nerf - however a big part of it's early game strength is going to disappear. It will still be solid overall, but it will not be the top tier powerhouse that it currently is.

Hermit lists are decent, and they are actually more fun to play than you might think after just glancing at a list. They typically play as an aggro midrange deck with some light control elements. Various lists emphasize control and token generation to different degrees, and there are a lot of fun options under the Hermit umbrella.

Offline DrayGon777

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:24:27 AM »
Speaking of the thralls and how control (somehow) struggles with them, if they are being fixed to where they aren't 10/10 by sacrifice, then wouldn't that make them easier to deal with? Unless I'm mistaken, they need to die by the owner's ability in order to change into a 10/10, and even if they do make it to that stage, a Mass Death timed right would take them out along with whatever other characters that are on the battlefield.

Again, I'm not a top player so it's quite likely I'm not seeing what is really going on in the upper levels, but to me it seems that control is still strong.

I had almost mentioned Defiant Hermit in my previous post. While he does have a bit of a control element, he does tend towards aggro more than control, at least how I usually play him. Then again, I tend to favor midrange/aggro than I do control. I will admit the deck is fun, though. It's just a significant investment to try and build as it kinda requires a legendary to even work, unlike some of the other top decks.
Just so you guys know, if you're ever vs WWK, just start putting out random numbers and mathematical symbols, he will surrender.

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 08:26:33 AM »
The change will make it harder to get 10/10 thralls out early game. It will cost a minimum of 3 resources (with something like lightning blast) until  aoe effects like Overcharged storm and mass death come into play. It will also make it easier to snipe thralls before they get buffed.

So control may be viable after the change. But it is not viable at the moment.

Offline brainsoverbrawn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 02:55:52 AM »
I decided to invest a bit into a hermit deck. With the help of a few nice traders this is my deck now:
Aleta Inmortal Caretaker
Pack Leader
Defiant Hermit

Hulking Sniper x2
Caretaker of the Young x2
Brings Life by Passing x3
Dropbear x3
Swift Hunter x2
Rabid Rabbit x1
Killaroo x3
Enraged Hulker x1
Skraar's Young x1
Hehkeem x2
Shamba x1
Skraar x2
Verore Kidnapper x2
Fight x3
Primal Rage x3
Pack Hunt x3
Eucalyptus Tree x2
Lightning Blast x3
Untapped Wilderness x1

(Sideboard)
Word of Command x2
Called Shot x1
Granthar the Elder Ape x1
Stampede x1
Rift to the Old World x1
Pack Leader x1
Grave Rob x1
Wreckful Walrus x1
Hulking Sniper x1
Ancient Aether x2

Any tips on how to improve the deck would be appreciated. Right now the main problem seems to be that I have an identity problem and have trouble deciding to rush or control. Since I am running slow enrage cards I might want to go more control with verore cards like Death Ray, but I also notice that the hermit dies often in the midgame, so maybe going control isn't the best idea?

Offline DrayGon777

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 05:04:11 PM »
In what way does he die mid-game? Are you always using his ability, and thus keeping his health a little on the low side? I'd recommend only using his ability when you have a fair amount of beasts and/or they have a lot of human characters, particularly if some of them can be taken out.

Matriarch might also be a good card to use, and possibly run in command so that you can potentially move Hermit to support to have him heal, especially since his health will have gone up thanks to Aleta, Caretaker.

As far as other suggestions, Granthar, I'd think warrents being in maindeck. He's got a nice effect when he enrages, and is pretty beefy. He's also hard to dodge when you play him off of opponent's initiative. I'd also run a full set of Pack Leaders, but that's probably personal preference considering I like making my characters really beefy. It might not really be needed with Hermit.

Enraged Hulker isn't really that good of a card, I've come to find out. Sure it can enrage and become bigger than a One of Many, but that's throwing in another 3 resources and getting out less stats than two One of Many with no other additional benefit. It has it's uses, but in a game where single target removal is fairly prevalent, I don't see it's benefits really working out. :/

If you DO go with Pack Leaders in the main deck, I'd also recommend throwing in Word of Command as well so you can push them onto the battlefield immediately and give a surprise buff to everything. Even without, Word of Command is a rather versatile card so might be worth running in main regardless.

While kidnapper is a fairly good soft removal card, the fact it's human tends to pose a problem in this deck. Still, it could be played like an extended Controlled Temporal Anomaly to rest stats of an opponent's character so I guess it could still see a use.

Currently, Rabid Rabbit doesn't do well with Pack Leaders (or any kind of buffs) considering it loses it all when it transforms, and thus having it out with Pack Leader causes it to be weaker overall, if it even survives when it attacks. :( I do hope this gets fixed fairly soon. On the other hand, it's also a low cost character and Hermit decks tend to try and flood the field for massive buffing so I guess it could stay just for that.

Hermit decks usually don't need ramp as much, but that doesn't mean it doesn't help. Still, if intending to run Untapped Wilderness, if you don't have multiple copies of the card, it might be helpful to at least have a way to tutor it through Cartographer or Explore. The downside is that both these cards cost as much or more than the location itself, so that means you won't have the ability to play the land as fast if you don't have multiple copies regardless. You could also consider swapping it out for Corrupted Forest since that buffs your attack and lowers your opponent's attack (except in WP mirrors). Just an idea to consider.

Verore and WP have a pretty good combo together with Lightning Blast and Track. This combo essentially lets you kill any target for a fairly low cost. The downside is it takes two cards, but I think the benefits outweigh the cost, not to mention humans can also be instantly killed with Track and Hermit.

These are my personal thoughts on the deck, being an avid Warpath player, but I will admit that I'm not really considered a top player and others might have better advice for you. Still, I'd like to think my advice holds at least some weight as I have won my fair share of games with Warpath.

Offline goobypls

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 07:52:19 PM »
In what way does he die mid-game? Are you always using his ability, and thus keeping his health a little on the low side? I'd recommend only using his ability when you have a fair amount of beasts and/or they have a lot of human characters, particularly if some of them can be taken out.

assassinato

Offline DrayGon777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 05:48:25 AM »
Oh, Well that'll do it. Still, if they DO assassinate him, they trade off tempo as their max resources then drops. What tempo you 'might have' lost up till that point can be made up by them losing it for the latter part of the match. It does hurt to lose him, but I feel it hurts more to lose the resources, so I didn't consider that as an issue, but that might just be the level I'm currently playing at. Still, I hope the rest of my advice was helpful.