Author Topic: What if immortal searcher didnt exhaust to draw a card?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
What if immortal searcher didnt exhaust to draw a card?
« on: January 23, 2015, 03:58:13 AM »
Idk just thought that could make it more useable

Offline CubicBerserker

• View Profile
Re: What if immortal searcher didnt exhaust to draw a card?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 12:15:25 PM »
I'm not sure if it would matter all that much since you don't get the cards until the next turn anyway. Maybe you could block with her in a pinch and use her ability at the same time to hopefully draw an answer? I think it would be a bit weird to have just one Aleta not exhaust to use her ability. Just like I think it's weird that Devinedemonic seems to be the only Agent Coyle that isn't combat-oriented.

Offline HeliosAFlame

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 12:21:52 PM »
I agree with berserker, its not ideal to have exactly one aleta not exhaust when she uses her ability. That said she is a bit weak given that you can shuffle for 3 already or draw for 5. Maybe make her ability cost 2 or something?

Offline CubicBerserker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 01:11:02 PM »
Didn't her ability used to give you the card in the planning phase? I feel like perhaps her ability was balanced around that but then later changed to only happen during resolution, which is more in line with other abilities but in this case a lot less useful.

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 01:11:49 PM »
I agree with berserker, its not ideal to have exactly one aleta not exhaust when she uses her ability. That said she is a bit weak given that you can shuffle for 3 already or draw for 5. Maybe make her ability cost 2 or something?
Actually, shuffling is unreliable as it cycles with a handful of cards, and is meant to be that way in order to prevent overshadowing the usefulness of drawing a card for 5.

As a rule of thumb, abilities tend to cost more for what they do if they are repeatable, and more so if they can be repeated without exhausting. This is to place more value into abilities which can only be used once (either activated ones or card ones).

3 for a card is already awesome in my opinion.

Offline Nehkrimah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 01:26:40 PM »
what do you mean about the 3-shuffle?

I thought it put it into the deck and got a random from the whole deck. Is this not the case?

Offline HeliosAFlame

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 02:53:32 PM »
Its meant to be random Nehkrimah.
In actual fact it kinda cycles, so if you had like 15 mana and just cycled 5 times in a turn without doing anything else you will start seeing repeats way more often than usual.

Offline CubicBerserker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »
I do not have the impression that the cycle for 3 repeats unusually often. Rather, people are probably underestimating the probability for repeats that should be expected. Similar to how there's a 50% chance for two people in a group of 23 to have the same birthday, the chance of drawing the same card twice increases rapidly as you cycle more and your deck becomes smaller. This chance is only increased by having multiple copies of the same card in your deck.

Without actual proof I'm going to assume that the card you get really is randomly chosen from your entire deck with equal probability.

One thing does stand out though, it seems to be impossible to draw the card you decide to shuffle. The text suggests that you shuffle first and draw after that but it appears to be the other way around.  Probably for the better as drawing the same card again would ruin the point, but maybe the text should reflect that.

The fact that Immortal Searcher has to compete with a mechanic that is available for free to anyone isn't really helping her. The fact that this mechanic also has key advantages over her ability (draw during planning, repeatable) just makes it that much worse. And then we haven't mentioned Tinkerer yet. I'm not in favor of making her ability draw during planning or making it repeatable though. Perhaps the cost could be decreased to two or she could draw more cards for a higher price. Though I honestly doubt this card will be changed.

Offline Abyss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 10:51:36 PM »
The problem with Searcher is that a) she's not worth paying 5 to play her normally and then start using her ability, and b) she's not worth taking up a command slot, particularly because Tinkerer is just stupid good.

Personally, if I were going to change her, I'd either up the cost and effect (Something like pay 5-> Draw three cards), reduce the cost but add some extra kind of limitation (You know, sac an artificial type stuff, possibly with some kind of extra benefit as well), or change it from draw to some form of search (Look at the top X cards of your deck, get each artificial or artifact?).

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 04:39:35 AM »
The search idea seems pretty good actually. Like pay 5, look at top 5 cards choose one and put it into your hand, shuffle the rest back into your deck.

Makes more sense cuz she searches. Having her just draw a card seems like a half finished idea.

Offline Jelle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 12:13:42 AM »
Having her ability be repeatable would help, but only in those rare situations you can blow a lot of resources on just drawing cards. The ability as it is now needs some form of buff to justify a command slot (even if that doesn't stop me from using her anyway).

Here's my idea how to buff searcher and make the effect match the story behind the card better.

Pay 2 Exhaust: Aleta, Immortal Searcher is exhausted next turn. Draw a card at the end of the next turn.
Or 1 cost for 2 turns, numbers numbers.

Searcher's mission is to explore avarrach and all that, so paying to have her exhausted for some turns then return with a card kind of fits that theme. Sort of like sending pilgrimage monk on pilgrimage. Hmm maybe removed from game would fit searcher also.

Offline Dogeee [BoD]

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »
what would you guys think of making the ability: pay3, exhaust - at the beginning of your next turn sry 1 (look at top card, put it on or under your deck), then draw a card. this ability cannot be used a turn in which you scried (she can attack/block but not use the ability) . i'd totally play her.

"this game is rock bottem" - mew28

Offline goobypls

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 03:37:19 PM »
the scry thing sounds fun. I don't know if searcher will get changed, but it's a good mechanic for future cards nonetheless.

Offline Dogeee [BoD]

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 03:46:46 PM »
goobypls.. i screi everytiem  ;D

"this game is rock bottem" - mew28

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 06:31:26 PM »
what would you guys think of making the ability: pay3, exhaust - at the beginning of your next turn sry 1 (look at top card, put it on or under your deck), then draw a card. this ability cannot be used a turn in which you scried (she can attack/block but not use the ability) . i'd totally play her.

Scry is pretty cool i guess, but dont think u can implement it in current system yet. Also may want to change the keyword to make it a bit different from Mtg