Author Topic: AO Shun is actually terrible  (Read 7830 times)

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: AO Shun is actually terrible
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2015, 11:12:22 AM »
Prozac beat a load council members in a top 8 tournament with 3 dod and they couldn't cope with loosing :P

Joking aside it was to do with a change in power for DoD, they wanted to Nerf powerful cards to make room for other powerful cards. So surprise defence and agent Cole took a hit, allowing things like the new avatars to be super strong. They didn't feel they could make the faction better without those cards becoming a problem.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:16:21 AM by 182jaja182 »

Offline suli

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »
Seems pretty counter intuitive to me, as 3p dod is proving time and time again to be the weakest purity for the faction.....ah well

Offline ORISOLVE

• In the service of The Holy Roman Empire since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2015, 04:00:20 PM »
3 DoD only seems weaker because people recognize the potential strength of 3 DoD, therefore putting transform counters into their decks. Back then I have never seen a Demonize in like 20 games. Now I see it in every exile deck. I've even admitted started running 2 Demonize instead of none. It's unfair that Flame Dawn continuously gets more powerful without any harsh adjustments towards their core cards. In this new meta 3 DoD is forced to run Gaohan. Any other Command Zone without Gaohan would lose by turn 6 whether facing Angels or Flame Dawn. Nerfing both Immovable AND Surprise Defense was kind of harsh, they should have nerfed one or the other.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Offline suli

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2015, 06:20:48 PM »
Nerfing both Immovable AND Surprise Defense was kind of harsh, they should have nerfed one or the other.

This! I had no qualm with nerfing immovable due to his ability to be splashed, but surprise defense too? arguably 3p dod's most effective defense, meh.

Offline TheRealTuna

• Prems 4 Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2015, 07:21:28 PM »
I actually liked the change to Surprise Def; it was too random before, in terms of the way creatures were deployed from hand. I definitely like the design of the current Surprise Def better. The problem is, with this new design, there is very little reason to run it, since the only thing really worthwhile to use it with is Ao Shun, which is garbage.

So, while I like the actual design and concept of the card as it is now, it just turned out to be useless, and yet another major nerf to DoD.

Offline Nehkrimah

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2015, 02:54:03 AM »
I also like using Surprise defense with either an avatar I already have on the field, or the Spirit of Ancient Guardians, if it dies, it still gets shuffled back into the deck, to draw again later.

Offline ORISOLVE

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2015, 02:55:55 AM »
Theres no such thing as random. You clearly didnt discover the Surprise Defense secret. Imagine having the power to force 3 Ao Shuns onto the front line, or even 1 Phalanx with 5 Invincible Defenders. I had that, and it was taken from me.  >:(

Offline mantrius

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »
Ok, this is my question, why all of you are saying that Ao Shun is only good wth Surprise defence?
I know that is a 12 drop, but why it has synergy with that card, as his effect is drawing cards. Is because his stats?

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2015, 01:57:08 PM »
Yup, it's the stats. He's a giant flyer who you can put into play out of nowhere potentially on turn four. This can really screw with your opponent's plans, because that early they may not be expecting such a formidable defense.
Moreover, Ao Shun won't actually die, so you're not wasting anything (though with the Surprise Defense nerf things are obviously worse as he'll get shuffled back into your library and you'll eventually have to find him again. The wealthy noble nerf also made it harder to play Ao Shun outright)
Considering how long it's been since I've actually played Ao Shun, does anyone know how he interacts with giant unstoppable creatures? (Karrck, Titan of the New World, some genesis monstrosity that was buffed and given unstoppable, etc) He's not dying, after all, merely exhausting.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2015, 09:10:27 PM »
Yup, it's the stats. He's a giant flyer who you can put into play out of nowhere potentially on turn four. This can really screw with your opponent's plans, because that early they may not be expecting such a formidable defense.
Moreover, Ao Shun won't actually die, so you're not wasting anything (though with the Surprise Defense nerf things are obviously worse as he'll get shuffled back into your library and you'll eventually have to find him again. The wealthy noble nerf also made it harder to play Ao Shun outright)
Considering how long it's been since I've actually played Ao Shun, does anyone know how he interacts with giant unstoppable creatures? (Karrck, Titan of the New World, some genesis monstrosity that was buffed and given unstoppable, etc) He's not dying, after all, merely exhausting.

He effectively dies, but then moves to the support zone instead, so an unstoppable character would still go through him.

Offline ORISOLVE

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2015, 12:23:29 AM »
Ao Shun is also bad because he is 3 Purity, instead of 2 like the other dragons.  ;D