Author Topic: Silfurstar  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
Silfurstar
« on: January 12, 2015, 11:42:58 PM »
I havent tested this yet but by his wording, does this mean he can resurrect indefinitely as long as he is attacking and killed by combat?

wham

Re: Silfurstar
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 12:43:17 AM »
That's probably right. (See Nehkrimah's Post) However he does cost 10 morale, which is a bit of a problem if you want to keep using him indefinitely.

There's also the tiny problem of getting somebody to defend against a 6 cost 6/6. It might work in the context of 2fd (heralds, offensive pressure, etc) but I doubt it in other decks.

edit: unfortunately i have no copies of him and can't test
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:58:29 AM by wham »

Offline CubicBerserker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 12:53:51 AM »
I don't have him so I can't confirm, but other characters with an ability that transforms them do not get to keep their abilities upon transforming. Otherwise cards like Infected Purifier and Evolving Parasite would be broken on a fundamental level. I see no reason for Silfurstar to be any different, so I'm guessing no.

It would be nice if somebody could confirm though.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 02:35:24 AM »
I mean if it did keep happening that would justify him being an epic. otherwise i dont really see anything meriting epic status at all. Maybe if they added charge so he could surprise take out a big blocker? Since his transform condition is so specific.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:37:14 AM by Hiding »

Offline CubicBerserker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 04:33:07 AM »
The way I see it a card doesn't need to be any good at all to warrant being an epic. It just needs a unique ability or effect. There are so many epics that are outright unplayable that he wouldn't seem out of place in the slightest. Not that I think that's a good thing, just saying that I don't really see epics as great cards in general.

Well I guess it's pointless to speculate until someone can actually confirm. If he does return indefinitely I think his wording should make that clear though, since transform seems to imply losing abilities.

Offline Nehkrimah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 06:14:24 AM »
he comes back without the ability, so second time he dies, that's it.

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 01:55:42 AM »
The way I see it a card doesn't need to be any good at all to warrant being an epic. It just needs a unique ability or effect. There are so many epics that are outright unplayable that he wouldn't seem out of place in the slightest. Not that I think that's a good thing, just saying that I don't really see epics as great cards in general.

Well I guess it's pointless to speculate until someone can actually confirm. If he does return indefinitely I think his wording should make that clear though, since transform seems to imply losing abilities.

"unique ability" so does that mean infected drone should be epic as well? Or splitter bot? Unending drone? or like pretty much anything? Sure some epics are unplayable but if they are played, they generally have big stats or do really powerful things. This guy just doesnt really do anything. Trades weak stats, easily removed, high cost for very specific ability trigger, two lives, gets slightly stronger not epic material at all.

Offline goobypls

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 04:27:37 AM »
Remember this is a card designed for and together with some sort of beta backer. He/she has been heavily involved in the creation of this game and deserved his/her own card. It's lightmare's way of saying thank you for backing the game and being with us for all this time. They both wanted the final design of the card to be this way and although the stats on the card might not be considered epic material to you, this backer's effort could be of epic value very much so.

Offline CubicBerserker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 05:26:13 AM »
"unique ability" so does that mean infected drone should be epic as well? Or splitter bot? Unending drone? or like pretty much anything? Sure some epics are unplayable but if they are played, they generally have big stats or do really powerful things. This guy just doesnt really do anything. Trades weak stats, easily removed, high cost for very specific ability trigger, two lives, gets slightly stronger not epic material at all.

The choice of wording might have been bad here. What I meant is that higher rarity cards tend to have more complex abilities, rather than just being better. Tygris, the Architect is a perfect example of that. It's a terrible card and it's a legendary. It's ability is quite complex though and that's why it deserves a high rarity.

When I look at various cards at different rarities this is what I notice most. Epics aren't better in general. In fact, a lot of them are outright garbage. Yes there are those that are very good and they stand out, but when you look at all of them you can't really say they are better on average.

These are the things that I would say correlate with rarity:

-Complexity: There are some exceptions but there is a noticeable trend here for higher rarity cards to have more complex abilities.

-A stronger divide between good and bad cards: Legendaries in particular tend to be either great or awful. Commons tend to be meh, ok or good. This may be a consequence of higher rarity cards being more complex.

-Higher rarity cards more often need to have a deck built around them: While this is certainly not true for all epics and legendaries it does apply to a number of them. Probably a consequence of both the first point and the next one.

-Higher purity requirements. Obviously the Agent Coyles and the titans have an impact here but even if we take them out of the picture this trend is still obvious. There is the occasional factionless card though.

-Unique characters: Most noticeable for commons. There is only one unique common in the game at this point(Serennia, Champion of Life, which would probably have been at least an uncommon had it been designed as a champion from the start. Tithe Collector is no longer unique.). The dragons are the main exception to this.

Higher stats and higher cost seems to be something that applies to epics in particular. Legendaries tend to be more reasonably costed. There are examples of similar cost epics though. Ireul, Nix, both versions of Nysrugh and some others. Nix is amazing, but some of the others seem similar in power level to Silfurstar if not worse.

I don't believe that rarity=power in Infinity Wars. Just look at all the amazing commons and uncommons. Splitter Robot is arguably one of the best 4 cost cards in the game and it's only Uncommon. The 1-drop wonders are all common. Even Wealthy Noble, which probably decides more games than any other card, is a common.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Silfurstar being epic at all.