Poll

How long do you like your tournaments to be?

I think a Tournament should only last 2 days at most.
I think a Tournament should only last 4-5 days at most.
I think a Tournament should only last a week at most.
I dont care too much about how long the tournaments are, I just want to have fun.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I think players should be able to finish their games in 1 day.
I think players should be able to finish their games in 2 day.
I think players should be able to finish their games in 3 day.
They can have as much time as they want, their going to lose to me anyways.

Author Topic: Tournament Poll (How long should tournaments be?)  (Read 844 times)

Offline Weak_Wolf

• In Vino Veritas
    • View Profile
Tournament Poll (How long should tournaments be?)
« on: December 22, 2014, 07:11:05 PM »
Fellow Rift Runners,

I have made a few tournaments lately and have tried to acomodate everyone, but it seems like that may not be possible. So I decided to create this poll in order to get feedback from you guys to see what you want/expect from tournaments. For this poll I will be asking you 2 questions:

1) Setting the right time for a tournament can be difficult, especially a tournament that takes place over the span of several different time zones, different people have jobs at different times and different responsibilities. So a balance must be set in the duration of the tournament. Short tournaments lend themselves to alot of no shows while tournaments that drag on become unexciting. So the question here is; How many days would you like your tournament to last?

2) Longer rounds give players more time to play their games instead of being disqualified for not showing up, once again time zones are an issue because one 11PM for one player could be 10AM for another, longer rounds let players coordinate the best time for them to play and finish their matches. But making rounds too long makes it tedious for players who finished their games within the first hour and now have to wait days for the next round to progress. So the question here is: How long should rounds last? How much time would you give other players to finish their games?

Also feel free to leave comments giving your own opinion on the matter.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:15:53 PM by weak_wolf »

Offline Teilchen

• View Profile
Re: Tournament Poll (How long should tournaments be?)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
Other games have thought about this as well.
I like the league like format. Aka you have one week to aggree on a gametime with your opponent. This way, players can always play on a week end. And on a weekend one can play across time zones. Of course, sensible rules about how the players are to agree on a time are nessecary, so that one player can't just say: "I'll play at 1PM, 2PM or 3PM. Don't care that's the middle of the night for you."

Aside from that. Multiple days are preffered. Once a play day goes over 4 hours, it get's complicated. Eating, doing chores, sleeping (remember timezone difference)...
And if there are several playdays of 4 hour length, it should be done within one weekend. Because keeping several weekends free for one tournament isn't a sacrifice everyone is willing to make, so you get a lot of drop offs for week 2.

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:38:04 PM »
I personally prefer the way Novablue and Istarune ran their community wars tournament.

They said games start at time x, checking is at time y - if you aren't there your seat goes to someone who is, if these times don't work for you, don't sign up.

I understand we have a breadth of timezones where competitive players come from, but every tournament does not have to try and cater to every player in the playerbase. Trying to do so ultimately results in a long, disjointed, and drawn out competition, where neither organizers nor participants are pleased at the end.

Offline Winsanity

• The Winsanity is overwhleming
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 12:09:34 AM »
I agree with Merlin. The reason some tournaments end up lasting a month or more is because people are trying to accommodate the whole world, and it just can't happen. IMO tournaments should  last a max 4-5 days. If people can't make the times then that sucks, but organizers can't be afraid to be strict. The guidelines are there for a reason. If people don't follow them then that is their fault and they shouldn't have signed up in the first place.

Offline HeliosAFlame

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »
I agree with merlin and win in theory, but in practice the player base is really small. Do we even have 32 players who are competitive and in any single time zone?

In practice there is going to have to be some compromise here, you don't want tourneys to go on too long but if you just have like a 2 hour slot for each round or something finding even 16  players could be difficult