Author Topic: Rita, undocumented changes, and why cards are altered  (Read 682 times)

Offline Clearbeard

• View Profile
Rita, undocumented changes, and why cards are altered
« on: December 17, 2014, 03:31:30 AM »
I just noticed the change to the old Rita, where she gets +2/+2 instead of healing 5 on a sacrifice.  It seems interesting, as I had always thought the heal rather underwhelming, but this new ability seems somewhat more useful.  I don't remember seeing anything in patch notes about this change though, how new is it? 

It does beg the question why Lightmare seems to be so schizophrenic when it comes to changing cards though.  One day it's "we don't want to spend time revisiting a whole bunch of old cards" (c.f. discussion on making the old Alberion worth playing) and then we get small changes like this to a card that was in no way meta defining, or even with much impact at all.  Meanwhile, small and incremental changes to problem cards (i.e. Sacullas and Demonic Presence getting an extra purity)  end up being abandoned in favor of total reworks or multiple simultaneous nerfs (i.e. Demon of Fear or Karani, and Warped Swarmer as the most recent victim).  Is it just a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing?  We seem to be subjected to two completely different revision philosophies here.

Offline Nehkrimah

• View Profile
Re: Rita, undocumented changes, and why cards are altered
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 05:27:29 AM »
Just letting you know the old rita is exactly the same, she just accidentally had the text of the new rita put on her, she still heals fine.

The old Aberion is fine, just works with a more late game version of Flame Dawn, especially if splashed with 1 genesis, I've had a 72/72 unstoppable aberion before.

Demon of Fear and Karani were done to put the factions a bit more where they should be before gold launch and is an exception more than a rule.

as to the warped swarmer, it might have been a too big a change, but it either needed a rework or to have it's cost much higher (like 4-5 maybe) as it was too good for a 2 cost, and that shows as it was being run by non-swarmer decks.

These are of course just my opinions, and it must be said that I also play with some wonky fun decks (like Ultra unit for example)

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
Re: Rita, undocumented changes, and why cards are altered
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:49:55 AM »
I guess you could call it a catch–22 situation. On one hand Lightmare needs to identify problem cards as fast as they can to prevent people from making trades which would become unfair, either for the better or for the worse. On the other hand it would take a considerable amount of time to define whether a card needs buffing or nerfing.

However, in favour of game balance, I strongly appeal to Lightmare to revisit and change old cards which need to be changed, and disregard trade value altogether. Ultimately, it is because of the game itself that people play Infinity Wars, not the Trade System, which in itself only serves to improve gameplay experience.

No one likes imbalanced cards, even ones which have existed for more than 2 years.