Author Topic: Hotfix 1.2 Notes Part 3  (Read 14612 times)

Offline hyakusiki

• Mega Unit 100
    • View Profile
Re: Hotfix 1.2 Notes Part 3
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 02:10:48 AM »
• Shikana's gender changed to female

schumisaurus

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 02:12:17 AM »

Shikana was always female.

Offline Githian

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 02:12:22 AM »
Pretty sad about thunder apprentice, now feels useless. No more triple verore for me I guess, first time I was actually playing it and enjoying it.

And I called the exact nerf for Duelist. Yay!

Offline goobypls

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 02:15:24 AM »

I knew it!

Offline electro13

• You've been bamboozled!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 02:15:42 AM »
Pretty sad about thunder apprentice, now feels useless. No more triple verore for me I guess, first time I was actually playing it and enjoying it.
Yeah, the nerf really does hurt on the apprentice. I know I'm biased, but I really felt like it was the only counter to early rush with warped swarmers gone. It'll still be playable though.

Offline trivialpursuit

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 02:17:04 AM »
One thing I don't understand about the Avatar of Daode:

Avatar of Lingbao has an effect that is signature to Lingbao the Sage - Morale drain.
Yet Avatar of Daode has a completely different effect: power buffs to itself?? The Sage version gives health buffs, so why doesn't its Avatar?

It makes more sense if the theme of the Sage carries over to the Avatar version.

Imagine Avatar of Yuanshi: restore fortress health by 50 for 15 cost.

Whaaaaa??

Offline Grinnin_Gin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 02:21:07 AM »
I just want Verore to have an early game card with a bit of bite to it. Thats all I want. Right now the faction is seriously focused on 5-6+ cost cards. Our one drop (Master of Demons) fuels a highly specific deck type, where nearly all the other one drops do something else effective for the faction they're in, for all their deck types.

Warped Swarmer got hit, so thats out as a commander (or in the deck at all, really). Our candidates for viable low-cost creatures are extremely slim even beyond the neccesity that 'verore bodies must be weaker'. Verore bodies being small is fine. I just want them to have even a little bit of other perks to give them some viability so flame dawn (which already has a LOT of cards which are almost specifically tuned to screw with Verore) at least has to make some compromises to get around things, or be forced to, y'know, defend.

So warped swarmer hit, then we got rubble golem and thunder apprentice in Order. A really good idea, a fun, effective set of commanders and cheap main deck cards for verore to run. Golem provided defense, and apprentice could threaten FD's fortress and generate blasts to kill their creatures with, but it also has a really weak body and needs to hit something to generate blasts.

But Genesis players were complaining about how Lightning Blast unfairly screwed them over, and it really does. But instead of giving Thunder Apprentice an effect that generates bolts that dont screw Gi over (either a lightning blast that doesnt have the extra damage, or make it an overcharged bolt card instead), we instead see Thunder Apprentice get an effect that makes her completely unplayable.

If people were letting TA get off more than one bolt in the early game, they're not running enough removal they should have to screw with flame dawn anyway. Firebolts, Cannon Fire, Yuanshi's Wrath, Flame Dawn Commando, Bloodthirsty Dead, Death Rays, Lightning Blasts, Banish, for god's sake even Warpath can run some hasted blockers (Rabid Rabbit comes to mind) to deal with this card. Cost 2 card for 7 damage if it procs its ability once is perfectly reasonable. Flame Dawn commando does better, the only thing blast does differently is 1, it splits the damage and 2, it hits command. What commander is going to die from TA's proc? None that wouldn't die to Yuanshi's Wrath or a normal lightning blast (and where is the cry for Lightning Blast nerf?).

No smart player would let TA survive for more than a turn. I agree she was a bit too powerful for the faction and the curve, but come ON. Verore has no effective early creatures besides golem now. Even a cost 3 nerf would have been INFINITELY PREFERABLE to having to hit the fortress to proc. So what if it feeds oblivion? In the competitive match up, you're going to lose the fodder to grave robs and purify from (you guessed it) flame dawn, and you're still going to lose to excessive rush/spam tactics anyway.

The only thing that TA did was 1, make FD match ups a bit more of a thinking mans game (GOD KNOWS WE NEED IT), and 2, it made GI cry (which was an unfortunate side effect). Now I'm essentially forced into an all rubble golem command zone for triple verore because we have no other decent early game creatures, none (if someone dares to say run beast of burden they're smoking something). None that fit the strategy, or even some that provide a bit more advantage to it. And if you're gonna make TA hit the fortress, can you at least make her one purity so she can be used in more deck styles that can turn her into something that can actually hit the fortress? 2 Verore isnt hitting jack puffy, not with a 3/3.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:25:14 AM by Grinnin_Gin »

Offline NikaSharkeh

• For Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 02:28:28 AM »
I have to agree with Grin, the primary concern with TA was that her blasts completely puffied up GI. Reverting her back to how she was, but turning her blasts into 4 damage only(without bonus 8 damage to GI) seems like a good solution. Only blasts given by her, not usual separate lighting blast.

Offline trivialpursuit

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 02:29:40 AM »
I just want Verore to have an early game card with a bit of bite to it. Thats all I want. Right now the faction is seriously focused on 5-6+ cost cards. Our one drop (Master of Demons) fuels a highly specific deck type, where nearly all the other one drops do something else effective for the faction they're in, for all their deck types.

For those looking at early game CoV, I suggest playing around with that new Thrall. Those 10/10s can be potent and surprisingly efficient when played right.

Offline xneosrevenge

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 02:30:46 AM »

Shikana has been a male since Alpha, though.
"We adore chaos because we love to produce order." -M. C. Escher

Offline moominpeter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 02:31:30 AM »
The change to ability for Thunder Apprentice was necessary, but I think she should get a modest stat buff now that her power is weaker. 3/3 -> 4/4 is probably enough, so she at least trades with all the FD one drops.

Offline NikaSharkeh

• For Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 02:31:58 AM »

For those looking at early game CoV, I suggest playing around with that new Thrall. Those 10/10s can be potent and surprisingly efficient when played right.

Was about to mention it myself. Those new Thralls let you deploy 10/10's literally exactly as fast as GI deploys infected drones. Only with Thralls you can play a clever trick of placing them untransformed into assault and then playing mass death. Guaranteed heavy damage.

Offline hyakusiki

• Mega Unit 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 02:32:54 AM »

Pretty sure Shikana's flavor text says (at least said) "Upon arrival he declared he was named Shikana, and he demanded tribute."

Offline BlackLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 02:35:23 AM »
This.

Tormented Thrall is a viable low cost character. Put 2 in command with TA as a 3rd commander and maybe sneak in some fortress damage in the midgame with her behind your 2 Thralls. TA was a little too overwhelming with her initial ability.

Offline JSlayerXero

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 02:36:14 AM »
Unless they changed it, Demonic Corruption removes old typing. All you need is one purity into Exiles and you have your invincible Martyr Golems of damage sponging. The difference is now it's gaining power and losing health at a steady rate once that's all over.

Yes, this totally should be made public knowledge.
Despite preferring to go by Xero, it's not frequently the part of my name people latch on to. Oh well. I deal with it.