Author Topic: Hotfix 1.2 Notes Part 3  (Read 13573 times)

Offline DrayGon777

• Friendly Neighborhood Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Hotfix 1.2 Notes Part 3
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2014, 02:41:55 PM »

Rite of Rage + Unstoppable Characters + Guard still works from a short test against puffy. I am not sure whethe that means the Devs overlooked it or they decided the abuse wasn't big enough.

Shhh... no need to bring attention to it. >.>

On a more serious note, I think it's still situational because most people aren't likely to block an unstoppable character unless they can kill it in one attack, or at the least have enough health to not die to it. There might be some cases people are willing to sacrifice 2 or more characters to it, but they'd be losing board presense in that case, and possibly resource cost. Basically, this means it either recieves no damage, or one attack's worth of damage in most cases. Obviously, if you have to defend in order to avoid losing, then this combo ends up being a win more situation.
Just so you guys know, if you're ever vs WWK, just start putting out random numbers and mathematical symbols, he will surrender.

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »

Rite of Rage + Unstoppable Characters + Guard still works from a short test against puffy. I am not sure whethe that means the Devs overlooked it or they decided the abuse wasn't big enough.

Shhh... no need to bring attention to it. >.>

On a more serious note, I think it's still situational because most people aren't likely to block an unstoppable character unless they can kill it in one attack, or at the least have enough health to not die to it. There might be some cases people are willing to sacrifice 2 or more characters to it, but they'd be losing board presense in that case, and possibly resource cost. Basically, this means it either recieves no damage, or one attack's worth of damage in most cases. Obviously, if you have to defend in order to avoid losing, then this combo ends up being a win more situation.

It actually works very well with a creature in defense as well. Put a decent body in defense, kill their entire offensive force, end with a giant creature in support.

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2014, 03:21:12 PM »
Not to mention 'splat of rage'. Splatting your hidden by clouds or abomination onto a mammoth and attack for 50 unstoppable on turn 4 or 5. Quite funny :P
Goose got me loose!

Offline BlackLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »
Not to mention 'splat of rage'. Splatting your hidden by clouds or abomination onto a mammoth and attack for 50 unstoppable on turn 4 or 5. Quite funny :P
Haha. That would be the craziest combo of the set if it weren't for the purity restrictions.

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »
We are more than aware of the strength of the combination, and I urge you to view earlier replies.

While we acknowledge that there are other very strong combinations with the card, we will need to evaluate them at a later time. This patch had to happen first and we need to see exactly what starts happening in Ranked Competition to continue to work on what more needs to be done.

There will be another balance review in January. I know I say this a lot but it's still prevalent. Simply because we haven't taken action against something doesn't mean we're unaware of it.
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline Held

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »
I don't like the ranked meta being changed such close before reset (especially Shikana). Balance changes causes requirements for deck changes and prefect decks need time.
Does anybody has the same opion as me? Couln't lightmare wait till the reset with the change?

With all due respect, you contradicted yourself.

If we make the changes at the same time as the reset, you have quite literally zero time to work on your decks prior to ranked competition coming back into full view.

Changes needed to happen now, and will happen again once more during the season.

If changes *only* happened during the season, it would put a much larger wrench in your plans than what we're doing now PRIOR to the reset. This way you at the very least have time to look at your strategies before going into the Order Season.

Hopefully that clarifies things with you. Whether or not you disagree with it is your call, this is our decision.

No, I'm not contradicting myself. I just have another point of view. For me the last days of the fading season seem much more important than the first days of the coming season. The reason is because though many players might be hyped about the new season others are longing for the rewards/gifts they get if they are in the top 100. So for them the current meta may be more important than some starting days/weeks of the new one.
Anyway I now understand why you are doing it like that.
But on the other hand I would like to not see balance changes at the very end of future seasons. Just my opinion :)

Offline motobrokane

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2014, 12:56:03 AM »
was all this really easier than banning/restricting cards from ranked play?

infinite = just for lulz
ranked =serious business

one of the best things about tcg's is USUALLY a huge amount of playtesting happens to cards BEFORE they are released, then if they arent broken, they are printed and distributed. once its out its out. this gives the player more deck building and strategy options.

no one can tell me what to put in a deck at home. i can play my friends however we wish. why this isnt so is beyond me.

made an op card, (AHEM DEVINE DEMONIC) thats ok, just restrict it to a one per deck or infinite only play.

This endless nerfing is just making the game more boring across all play options. seriously seriously boring

Offline Heart

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2014, 12:58:23 AM »

infinite = just for lulz
ranked =serious business

one of the best things about tcg's is USUALLY a huge amount of playtesting happens to cards BEFORE they are released, then if they arent broken, they are printed and distributed. once its out its out. this gives the player more deck building and strategy options.

no one can tell me what to put in a deck at home. i can play my friends however we wish. why this isnt so is beyond me.

made an op card, (AHEM DEVINE DEMONIC) thats ok, just restrict it to a one per deck or infinite only play.

This endless nerfing is just making the game more boring across all play options. seriously seriously boring

divine demonic seems really average to me
Follow your...

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2014, 02:48:17 AM »

infinite = just for lulz
ranked =serious business

1) Lightmare does playtest. Not as extensively as, say, MtG (which playtests 1 year ahead of release), but still, it happens. And yet, even MtG, which has that 1 year of playtesting still lets cards slip through the cracks that end up being exploitable. And LM does a pretty reasonable job (better than, say, Yu-gi-oh cough cough ahem ahem what do you mean I have to balance this game? cough)
2) There will always be people arguing which builds are the best or most optimal, depending on how serious your playgroup is. To go back to Magic, Kitchen table magic is much less competitive than the Pro Tour. For Infinity Wars, see Infinite Mode and Ranked.
3) "OP" is a highly subjective and really discredited term when it comes to balancing. One man's OP is another man's meh. See Heart's comment above.
4) I've made a few comparisons to other card games. Physical card games. And when a card makes it through the playtesting cracks they can't, as someone once put it, sneak into your house at night and rewrite the card in permanent marker. But Infinity Wars is a digital card game, and therefore Teremus or Poga can sneak into your collection and change problematic cards. This means that nothing has to actually be banned, that is, rendered worthless for competitive players, because it can be balanced instead. Sure, some strategies will be suboptimal, but the crazy powerful ones or unintended/unforeseen interactions can be brought back into healthier parameters for the rest of the game. And as someone who mostly plays in Infinite Mode, I would much rather LM deal with problem cards than have me suffer through playing them. At your kitchen table you can ask your friends to kindly not use that really jerk deck. When playing IW, you just have to hope that LM fixes the super abusable (on Gowron-Diseased Zombie scale) stuff.

So yeah, I'd much rather they continued to balance than just say "oh boy, might as well just ban it from ranked and move on to the next set." So while it may not be easier than just banning/restricting the card, it's the right thing to do and I respect Lightmare for the effort and work that goes into this sort of thing.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2014, 04:17:26 AM »

infinite = just for lulz
ranked =serious business

I haven't been super impressed with Divinedemonic decks thus far.

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2015, 03:06:11 AM »
*sigh* you know... I really feel I've given you guys *sigh* a FAIR amount of time to get this patch here done... I'm starting to tweek now... lets get this done guys, I need my infinity wars fix...
*No one's noticed i'm a madman*

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2015, 03:09:21 AM »

I haven't been super impressed with Divinedemonic decks thus far.

I quiet agree, Devinedemonic decks are pretty much one note all the same strategy.
*No one's noticed i'm a madman*