Author Topic: Hotfix 1.2 Notes Part 3  (Read 13575 times)

schumisaurus

Hotfix 1.2 Notes Part 3
« on: December 16, 2014, 01:29:21 AM »
Hotfix 1.2 Notes Part 3
Hey everyone,

Here are the notes about today's hotfix. There's an important piece surrounding balance changes that Poga has written at the bottom, please take a look.

Card and Balance Changes

Cassial has been changed to a 4 / 10 to better allow her to take a hit for the team.

Defensive Perimeter’s effect has been changed to “Pay 2, Exhaust: Deal 2 damage to all Characters in the opponent's Assault Zone.” (Previously targeted a single character.)

Duelist’s power has been reduced down to 5, from 6.

Grounded Angel has been brought down to a 7 / 6 for 2 cost.

• Heralding all those Champions has really helped Champions Herald buff up and now has 5 Health.

Noble Protector has been changed to now protects all characters in the same zone as him (previously protected all characters on the battlefield if also on the battlefield).

Orion’s Grave has had its base cost increased by 1, but the amount of resources it takes away when played reduced by 1.

Rite of Rage can no longer target Artificial Characters (Sorry Martyr Golem).

Shikana, Who Demands Tribute’s effect now resolves at the end of the turn, rather than at the start.

Thunder Apprentice will now only trigger when it hits the enemy fortress.

General and Card Fixes

• Addressed a memory leak issue when opening lots of packs.

• Chat will now properly scroll to the bottom of the window when opened.

• Fixed a bug which would cause the game to no longer accept input if an ability targeted a Recurring Nightmare that was in the graveyard.

• Fixed Omnimind so that it properly removed the resources from the player when activated.

Ju-Lin, Who Rewrites History will now properly display his Chapters.

• Platinum foils should now properly have an effect when received in the pack opening.

• The Options screen no longer incorrectly states the game is in Beta.

• The text in the Trade screen should now render properly

Spirit of the Serpent’s artist credit is now properly attributed to Pat Boiteux.

Warped Swarmer no longer triggers off of sacrifice effects.

Balance Update Pre-Ranked.

As we move closer to letting the Order set loose on the ranked ladders, we are taking to time to observe how players are reacting to their new toys. The following post will outline why we made some of the balance changes in the latest pre-ranked patch, for the full list of patch notes click here.

Orion’s Grave / 3 cost
When you play Orion's Grave, your maximum resources are reduced by 1. Your Genesis Industries Cards cost 1 less to play, to a minimum of 1.

We always intended this card to trade tempo for strength later in the game, but the reduction of 2 maximum resources has shown itself to be too drastic. As such we have reduced the maximum resource reduction down to 1, but increased the base cost of the Artifact by 1 to compensate.

Thunder Apprentice
When Thunder Apprentice deals damage to a fortress, a Lightning Blast card is created in your Hand.

The ability to brute force your Thunder Apprentices into other defenders to gain Lightning Blasts proved too powerful and consistent. To counter this we have restricted the trigger to only direct attacks against a fortress. You'll now have to use your removal (or the threat of) to clear the way before getting your free cards.

Rite of Rage
Prevent any non-combat damage target non-Artificial Character would take this turn. That target gains power and health equal to any damage prevented.

While we have seen multiple combos with this card and we love that, but the ability to play a Martyr Golem and then Rite of Rage on top of it out of nowhere proved too crazy. Find a way of removing Artificial from Martyr Golem and he is all yours but until then we will all have to go without 100/100 damage sponges.

Noble Protector
Characters in the same zone as Noble Protector cannot take non-combat damage from effects your opponent's control.

One thing we have been working towards are reasons to have multiples of the same utility card on the field at once. We felt Noble Protector fit into this category perfectly so now he can be used to protect whatever zone he is in. Multiple Protectors, multiple protected zones, even a bullet proof(ish) Command Zone is yours if you so desire.

Shikana, Who Demands Tribute
At the start of the turn, sacrifice a Character other than Shikana. If you do not, Shikana becomes exhausted, and at the end of the turn she will kill all Characters on the Battlefield and leave the game.

Oh Shikana, what to do with you? When Shikana was first created back in IW2013 the game was still in early alpha. We were just learning to create these cards and the rules that they should abide by. Due to this Shikana was created with unintended weaknesses that were quickly discovered by the community.

1. You could kill the sacrifice target before the ability resolved, or 2. You could kill Shikana herself. Although both of these counters could only be pulled off if you had initiative.

And for the longest time, these unintended weaknesses were the only things stopping us from taking her down a notch or two. But with the resolution refinement earlier this year, these weaknesses have been rendered almost mute, so we needed to take another look.

Instead of returning both her sacrifice and board wipe mechanic to the ability resolution phase (which would have to be done with some pretty awkward wording and coding, and honestly the heavy reliance on initiative allowed players to nullify the weaknesses anyway) we chose to keep the sacrifice more or less uncounterable, at the start of the turn, while moving the board wipe aspect to the end phase, giving the opponent, regardless of initiative, the entire turn to deal with her.

We feel that this change brings Shikana back to a level of power that we are comfortable with for a factionless card while simplifying her resolutions, and making her more understandable to newer players who might not be so versed in the finer aspects of initiative abuse.

Defensive Perimeter
Pay 2, Exhaust: Deal 2 damage to all Characters in the opponent's Assault Zone.

We felt that both Defensive Perimeter and Cottontail were both serving the same purpose. So we brought Defensive Perimeter down in cost and fitting it with some splash damage, to further distance itself from Cottontail.

Grounded Angel / 2 Cost  / 7 Power / 5 Health

A drop in power and cost allows Grounded Angel to better populate the field before being enhanced by your choice of Champion.

Cassial / 4 Power / 10 Health

More defensive stats better allows Cassial to take a hit for the team.

Champion’s Herald / 5 Health

As one of the main utility cards of the new Champion mechanic, and in turn the Overseers as a whole, we felt that Champion’s Herald could do with some beefing up, now your opponent will have to invest 2 Lightning Blasts :D

Duelist / 5 Power.

This card was bordering on straight up power creep, and we felt knocking her power down by 1 made her more reasonable, without removing her core appeal, of having 2 of the best abilities around.

Offline Heart

• View Profile
Re: Hotfix 1.2 Notes Part 3
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 01:34:15 AM »
like 1 min into reading and i approve all changes so far.

So noble protector now just protects whatever is in the same zone he is in, including himself?
Almost seems like a huge buff imo, especially to 3 purity flamedawn.

Also with shikana, if you anomaly her the turn she blows up, would it still go off or would the blowing up be reset?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:44:09 AM by Heart »
Follow your...

Offline electro13

• You've been bamboozled!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 01:35:38 AM »
I approve of this shikana change, hopefully it plays out well for the health of this game. A little sad tsundere-chan is being changed, but she needed it honestly.

Offline NikaSharkeh

• For Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 01:38:51 AM »
Sucks that Cottontail wasnt changed, as its ability is still really useless(check this thread http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=63599.0), but other than it, really well called and much needed changes on other cards! I really like how you handled defensive perimeter and orion's grave, turning them from completely useless cards to something i will surely use in my pure genesis deck now. Shows that you guys listen, great work!

Offline DrayGon777

• Friendly Neighborhood Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 01:39:33 AM »
Read, understood, and agree with all changes. Rite of Rage with Martyr Golem was really OP, but I was hoping that Guard would still be at least somewhat useful to combo it as otherwise Rite of Rage (and guard to a lesser degree) would be a little too hard to use.
Just so you guys know, if you're ever vs WWK, just start putting out random numbers and mathematical symbols, he will surrender.

Offline Grinnin_Gin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 01:41:08 AM »
Only change I dislike is thunder apprentice being a fortress hit card. Verore - really - needs some decent commanders :/

Shikana is also still stupid. Doesnt deal with Herald combos. As to the exhaust thing...Ferocity, anyone?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:43:03 AM by Grinnin_Gin »

Offline electro13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 01:42:31 AM »
Only change I dislike is thunder apprentice being a fortress hit card. Verore - really - needs some decent commanders :/

Didn't really make me too happy either, but to be fair the lightning blast spawn rate was pretty crazy. It means that CoV is still gonna get roflstomped by FD, as usual.

Offline 3Sleeper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 01:45:37 AM »
so it seems Thunder Apprentice unplayable now.
Cassial still too weak. the other changes were needed

Offline Grinnin_Gin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 01:49:09 AM »

Agreed, Shikana is still really stupid though for a factionless card. Definitely a step in the right direction though.

Offline electro13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 01:49:29 AM »
Thunder apprentice will totally be playable I think. Lightning bolt spam was  insane. Fun for a CoV player like me, but insane.

Offline trivialpursuit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 01:50:23 AM »
So I guess Shikana into Paladin combos won't work anymore if the opponent has units blocking? Paladins attack into blockers and then shikana blows up.

Also I heard that there are some more changes in the works. I hope DoD gets some love, because at this point, there is like no reason to play DoD competitively. It looks like the new meta will be dominated by CoV/FD.

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 01:52:14 AM »
0/10 no conga, emoticon usage, green text.

Just kidding, this is one of the best patches I've ever seen since the Demon of Fear nerf.

Offline Kevkas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 01:58:25 AM »

• Chat will now properly scroll to the bottom of the window when opened.

By far the most useful fix.  ;D

Offline BlackLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 02:00:38 AM »
I agree with all of these changes. Defensive Perimeter needed this modification if it was going to see any play at all. I still think that Cottontail should be cranked up a notch as well if it's going to see the light of day by any serious GI player (the optimal command set up is still the same with Tinkerer/Splitter/Support Drone).

I'll also agree with Trivialpursuit on DoD. For one, Avatar of Daode needs to be changed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:02:28 AM by BlackLightning »

Offline electro13

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 02:02:26 AM »
I'll also agree with Trivialpursuit on DoD. For one, Avatar of Daode needs to be changed.

Yeah, avatar is still very unplayable. But this isn't thee only balance change, so I hope that avatar and cottontail and a few others will be made useful before long.