Author Topic: Cassial and Martyr Golem, an FYI  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
Cassial and Martyr Golem, an FYI
« on: December 12, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »
Cassial, after her update, will now act like a Martyr Golem and redirect damage to herself. So I had to ask myself what happened if you had both of them out at the same time.
Well, as it happens, Martyr Golem will take the damage and Cassial will be an Ascended flying character. It works something like this, but I'm gonna warn that it gets dicey:
A character takes damage. Either A) Cassial redirects this damage to herself or B) Martyr Golem will redirect the damage to itself. In the case of A), Cassial will ascend and gain flying. Then Martyr Golem will redirect the damage from Cassial to itself. Because Cassial is Ascended, she won't redirect the damage again. In the case of B), Cassial redirects the damage to herself and ascends, then it goes back to the Martyr Golem and stops there.
This works regardless of which character you deploy first.
Remember kids, the more you know, the better you can figure out those weird card interactions.

Surprisingly, this interaction completely followed the logic I used to think about it before actually testing it out. Which is pretty sweet.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline DrayGon777

• Friendly Neighborhood Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Cassial and Martyr Golem, an FYI
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 06:52:44 AM »
So, she doesn't continue to take hits after she ascends? Doesn't seem to fit her title very well, then. :/

Then again, Combined with Martyr Golem, it would get tricky determining whom ultimately would take the hit, unless cassial only redirects from angels. *shrugs*
Just so you guys know, if you're ever vs WWK, just start putting out random numbers and mathematical symbols, he will surrender.

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 11:02:24 AM »
When 2 or more characters that have the same global effect are on the board, they interact based on the order they were deployed. Cassial and Martyr interaction is no different:

If Cassial was deployed first, all damage (the single time only, due to her effect) will be directed to her. So if you have a Cassial + Martyr in play, and one of your characters is damaged, Cassial absorbs all damage, ascends if she lives, and any other damage you take during that turn is absorbed by the Martyr.

However, if Martyr was deployed first, all damage will be directed to it. If you have both in play, Martyr absorbs all the damage and Cassial Ascends as a 7/7 character.

The order the hits are absorbed are following the standard resolution for multiple characters. The only problem seems to be Cassial Ascending without taking damage herself.

Offline AAAAANNNTS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 07:56:24 PM »
When 2 or more characters that have the same global effect are on the board, they interact based on the order they were deployed. Cassial and Martyr interaction is no different:

If Cassial was deployed first, all damage (the single time only, due to her effect) will be directed to her. So if you have a Cassial + Martyr in play, and one of your characters is damaged, Cassial absorbs all damage, ascends if she lives, and any other damage you take during that turn is absorbed by the Martyr.

However, if Martyr was deployed first, all damage will be directed to it. If you have both in play, Martyr absorbs all the damage and Cassial Ascends as a 7/7 character.

The order the hits are absorbed are following the standard resolution for multiple characters. The only problem seems to be Cassial Ascending without taking damage herself.

I tried playing Cassial before and after Martyr, and just like how Benionin said, regardless of the order, Cassial gets off scot-free while martyr takes one for the team.  This also works with single-target spells, so your Cassial-first theory seems incorrect. 

My theory is Damage -> Character -> Cassial -> Martyr.  From what it seems to me, Martyr just takes priority over her in any situation, or rather, his ability procs after hers does (you can also view it as Cassial taking up a unique space in between the damage and Martyr proc).

Cassial is considered to have taken damage (that's how she triggers Martyr), but does not lose any life as a result.  This part makes complete sense and functions exactly how her wording suggests she works, which is commendable.  It's a great lesson in distinguishing between damage and health loss (doubt this distinction is consistent throughout the game, though).

If anyone wants to go really puffying insane, throw Guard into the mix (as a bonus, the purities work out).  I wouldn't be surprised if the proc priority for these identical damage redirection effects was based on something bizarre like card release date rather than the more reliable measure of in-game timestamps that should be applicable in this situation.
>Lightning Bolt will never be in IW ;_;

Offline Hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 04:29:15 AM »

I tried playing Cassial before and after Martyr, and just like how Benionin said, regardless of the order, Cassial gets off scot-free while martyr takes one for the team.  This also works with single-target spells, so your Cassial-first theory seems incorrect. 

My theory is Damage -> Character -> Cassial -> Martyr.  From what it seems to me, Martyr just takes priority over her in any situation, or rather, his ability procs after hers does (you can also view it as Cassial taking up a unique space in between the damage and Martyr proc).

Cassial is considered to have taken damage (that's how she triggers Martyr), but does not lose any life as a result.  This part makes complete sense and functions exactly how her wording suggests she works, which is commendable.  It's a great lesson in distinguishing between damage and health loss (doubt this distinction is consistent throughout the game, though).

If anyone wants to go really puffying insane, throw Guard into the mix (as a bonus, the purities work out).  I wouldn't be surprised if the proc priority for these identical damage redirection effects was based on something bizarre like card release date rather than the more reliable measure of in-game timestamps that should be applicable in this situation.

I think the OP's point was this is how damage flows:

Target -> Cassial (Ascends) -> Martyr Golem  = end result Golem takes all the damage
or
Target-> Martyr Golem ->Cassial (Ascends) -> Martyr Golem = end result Golem still takes all the damage

the reason it doesnt go back to Cassial in both scenarios is because once ascended, she doesnt redirect damage anymore. OTHERWISE it may end up in an infinite loop causing who knows what to happen.

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 06:58:21 PM »
Hiding's got it right
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Candit

• "I make this game, James." #Poga