Author Topic: BroodLord modification suggestion  (Read 4955 times)

Vertu Honagan

Re: BroodLord modification suggestion
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 02:12:56 PM »
I have to agree with Gooby on the lack of abilities. Sure the swarmers may be a nice cliche deck, but they can't use all types of abilities just because they have Broodlord. They may only use all kinds of swarmers. I don't see how opening them up to use at least factionless abilities would make them OP. They need some kind of answers to hugely buffed up characters that ALL other factions have answers too. Plus, a Swarmer deck is going to be a hardcore midgame deck. Relying heavily on the Warpath Swarmers to buff them up to get them going. Because of this slower deck build, the opponent will have the time they need to set up against a swarmer deck. I don't see any reason that Swarmers should not be allowed to use some kind of abilities or locations. Even if they are just Factionless answers.

Offline w4golf

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 02:22:24 PM »
I tend to agree that abilities should be allowed.  Not from a power standpoint, but simply because it will be boring to play with... really, I have two tricks... summon swarmers, and play swarmers which can... block, or attack, and maybe I'll make one fly this turn.  Overall, I like the order cards as they came out.  I think the Euch Tree is soooo much fun (puff the magic Drop Bear!(s)).  The idea of a creature only deck is not one of the things I like about the set however.

Offline Nehkrimah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »
I would definately like some insectoid abilities for this deck, or even insectoids that have ability like effects. The problem with haveing them have ability access is you could have any combo of up to 2 purity.

I guess you could make it so that they could have only 1 copy of any ability they have the purity for perhaps. Still it's a funny deck in any case

Offline Tlaloc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 09:09:52 PM »
The problem with haveing them have ability access is you could have any combo of up to 2 purity.

I guess I don't see why that's a big deal.  Can you give any examples of a case that would be broken?

Offline Tlaloc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 09:17:40 PM »
You also have Caretaker of the Swarm in Order, which makes 10 swarmers (not including the Survival Swarmers) so if you have 3 of each of these, plus 3 for command, you need 10 survival swarmers, which is a decent amount, but not rediculous.

Correct, you could do it with 10 survival swarmers assuming you had
3 of every other swarmer type
4 broodlords (one as a commander)
3 caretakers of the swarm
and 2 additional swarmers, broodlords, or caretakers for commanders.

and as above the only modification you could make to the deck would be swapping out the choice of commanders and replacing limited swarmers/broodlords/caretakers with yet more survival swarmers.

Finally, and much less importantly, the deck above is somewhat hobbled by the non-utility of multiple broodlords, as well as the decreased utility of artificial swarmers.  If you can only really build one deck, and that only by getting lots of a specific card, shouldn't that at least be a good deck?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:19:16 PM by Tlaloc »

Offline goobypls

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 11:26:11 PM »
I'm quite satisfied with the direction swarmers have taken. The transition from verore AOE dmg & destruction to Warpath ramp makes it more fun to play against. For me the potential of caretaker justifies the nerf to the verore swarmer. There's still a nice variety of swarmer decks you can make.

For now I think broodlord has too much of a drawback to make him a worthwhile commander. Building a deck around it is also too much of a grind and very uninspiring. I'm positive that swarmers will be more creative with hopefully a future swarmer hive location card or any dedicated swarmer ability cards, but only time will tell.

Offline ArcaneAzmadi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 06:32:19 AM »
The Broodlord is a disgrace which should never have made it way through playtesting. Who even WANTS to play a deck with NOTHING but characters? And let's face it, Swarmers aren't THAT good, especially when over 1/3 of your deck is made of pure vanilla ones that do NOTHING.

Combined with the RIDICULOUS nerf to Warped Swarmer, Swarmer decks almost lost more than they gained from Order. The Ascending Swarmer is clunky to use (as well as only being a 5/5 Swarmer for 5 resource), the Caretaker of the Swarm doesn't really do anything you couldn't already do with Aleta Traveller and as mentioned, the Broodlord is a waste of a card. I think I'll just be sticking to my Warpath/Genesis/Exiles Swarmer deck, using Lucca to buff up armies of Swarmers with Consume.

If you can't change the Broodlord to remove the stupid "ONLY Insectoid cards in your deck" clause, then at least give it some kind of ABILITY. Currently it's dead weight, just an overcosted and slightly larger Survival Swarmer.
Always expect the worst and you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Offline Heaven-Canceler

• Travelling worlds out of fascination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 10:03:15 AM »
It would be nice if you could simply use the Abilities and Locations of whatever other Purity you have in command. Broodlord is neutral, so you can at most have 2 Purities of another faction if you put that stuff into it.

I also feel sad for getting 4 Caretaker of the Swarm and 1 Broodlord from Pre-Order even though I don't have any interest in playing a Swarmer deck and don't have nearly enough Survival Swarmers or an interest in trading for them.

Other accounts of mine can be found on Spacebattles and Sufficient Velocity.

Offline pedropars

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 10:15:36 AM »
Broodlord would be ok if it allowed abilities or if they added some insectoid ability cards,artifacts,locations.

Offline goobypls

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 10:28:34 AM »
I wouldn't call the new broodlord a disgrace, but from my point of view broodlord was revealed as a character that implied stronger synergy and more options to dedicated swarmer decks. Unfortunately only the former is true. The current design of the new broodlord feels a bit like he's intended to make swarmers more of a casual fun deck for collectors (similar to the uncontrolled rifts), rather than anything you would take into ranked. I don't think this is anywhere near the intention, although I do like to point out the reason as to why a deck with 40 uncontrolled rifts is worth it over one with 20 survival swarmers.

The new swarmer setup has an extremely one-sided strategy with very linear gameplay. Where the uncontrolled rift has it’s own surprise element that makes every game unique, the new swarmer setup makes for little to no interaction with your opponent. The gameplay is extremely predictable and leaves you with very little options to outplay your opponent’s moves. If you’ve played one game of swarmers, you’ve played them all, where no single uncontrolled rift game is gonna be te same, especially when comparing mirror match-ups.

My bet would be that broodlord is gonna end up in the weekly free rotation in a similar fashion to the unending drone deck, which is kinda one-dimensional on it's own as well. Nevertheless, swarmer decks can still be decent without broodlord, just like sleeper/genesis decks can still utilize the reanimate mechanic without being fully reliant on it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:23:52 AM by goobypls »

Offline Clearbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 03:35:03 PM »
Frankly, I'd be quite happy if Broodlord just became an actual useful card in his own right.  First off, get rid of Unique.  He's just A lord, not THE lord, and being unique completely goes against the swarmer concept.  Coupled with that, give him stats and abilities that are balanced with his cost and morale, completely irrespective of his deckbuilding ability.  The deckbuilding ability is self balanced and should cost nothing, resource wise.  The positive of ignoring purity is more than balanced by the restriction of no non-insectoid cards.  Even a modest bump to 9/9 or 10/10 would make him useful on the battlefield.  Alternately, giving him a version of Matriarch or Kung-Ji's ability would add viability.  Something like "when deployed, all insectoids heal 1 damage at the end of the turn" or "all insectoids in the support zone heal 3 damage at the end of the turn."

I was really excited at the idea of a swarmer deck, finally.  But the reality as it stands is quite disappointing.  I too am sure there will be more insectoid cards coming.  The Great Hive is just too obvious of a Location idea, and there are plenty of artifacts that could flesh them out as a meta-faction even without resorting to insectoid ability cards.  But we'll be waiting 3 or more months at a minimum until such cards come out.  A couple small tweaks to the insectoids we have now would go a long way to bridging that gap.

Offline JSlayerXero

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 06:09:22 PM »
... the Caretaker of the Swarm doesn't really do anything you couldn't already do with Aleta Traveller

Unless I'm reading into it wrong, the Caretaker can spawn swarmer indefinitely as long as you have other Insectoids to exhaust and only costs 1 to spawn a swarmer, not 3. This means turn 1 you can spawn a swarmer to be modified by something else, or just spawn more swarmers the next few turns.

I wouldn't call the new broodlord a disgrace, but from my point of view broodlord was revealed as a character that implied stronger synergy and more options to dedicated swarmer decks. Unfortunately only the former is true. The current design of the new broodlord feels a bit like he's intended to make swarmers more of a casual fun deck for collectors (similar to the uncontrolled rifts), rather than anything you would take into ranked.

Broodlord was revealed as only allowing you to use characters. Not sure if that really adds anything, but for some reason I'm reading this as you thinking that Broodlord was revealed as otherwise.
Despite preferring to go by Xero, it's not frequently the part of my name people latch on to. Oh well. I deal with it.

Offline goobypls

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 07:22:09 PM »
Unless I'm reading into it wrong, the Caretaker can spawn swarmer indefinitely as long as you have other Insectoids to exhaust and only costs 1 to spawn a swarmer, not 3. This means turn 1 you can spawn a swarmer to be modified by something else, or just spawn more swarmers the next few turns.

Broodlord was revealed as only allowing you to use characters. Not sure if that really adds anything, but for some reason I'm reading this as you thinking that Broodlord was revealed as otherwise.

True! I simply meant that I didn't expect it to have such a drawback as being restricted to nothing but insectoids. I saw more players acting fairly surprised about the restriction, but I could have indeed stated that better.

Caretaker reads: pay 1, Exhaust Caretaker and target deployed insectoid. I believe it was first revealed as being able to spawn indefinitely, but I can't quite remember.

Offline JSlayerXero

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2014, 07:32:35 PM »
Well, if Caretaker says that then, my bad. I'm running off of whatever images I last recall and my memory might be a bit fuzzy. Though, still, you can use her alongside the Broodlord, Who Does Nothing and make Swarmers for only 1 cost, while Aleta uses 3 resources to be self-sufficient.

Personally, I'm trying to build one of these decks because I've always wanted to do this. I doubt I'll be using it much outside of friendly games anyways. Unfortunately, given the state of trading... I doubt I'll be building this any time soon since everybody seems to want Wish cards last I checked.
Despite preferring to go by Xero, it's not frequently the part of my name people latch on to. Oh well. I deal with it.

Offline Tlaloc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2014, 02:53:16 AM »
Well, if Caretaker says that then, my bad. I'm running off of whatever images I last recall and my memory might be a bit fuzzy. Though, still, you can use her alongside the Broodlord, Who Does Nothing and make Swarmers for only 1 cost, while Aleta uses 3 resources to be self-sufficient.

yeah it exhausts the caretaker as well as another insectoid according to
http://infinity-wars.wikia.com/wiki/Order

basically just like the caretaker of the young...