Author Topic: Noble protector - are you kidding me?  (Read 4558 times)

Offline JSlayerXero

• View Profile
Re: Noble protector - are you kidding me?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 03:30:44 AM »
Having him guard only his own zone and only while on the battlefield would be interesting. No idea how useful that would be, but still. As it stands he's almost worth splashing Flame Dawn just to run him in command if you aren't playing triple purity.
Despite preferring to go by Xero, it's not frequently the part of my name people latch on to. Oh well. I deal with it.

Offline iofhua

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »
I wish he also protected your command zone. It annoys me when I play against a verore and they take out my commanders before I can use them. IMO he's not even worth using now.

Offline goobypls

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »
! Buff Noble 2015 !

Offline CubicBerserker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 06:17:51 PM »
I wish he also protected your command zone. It annoys me when I play against a verore and they take out my commanders before I can use them. IMO he's not even worth using now.

What are you talking about? He protects any zone he's in. If you put him in command he'll protect your other commanders. I have to agree with JSlayerXero here, this alone is almost worth FD splash in some cases.

I actually have a DoD/GI/FD deck that revolves around buffing up an Infected Monk with Secluded Constructor. This decks is so much stronger since Order and it's all because of that one card. What's even better is that you can play turn 1 wealthy noble -> turn 2 Noble Protector and Secluded Constructor to support. All three of those are a big problem for your opponent and he has no way to efficiently deal with any of them.

Before Order came along I would constantly lose my constructor to all sorts of damage based removal. Lightning Blast, Firebolt, Yuanshi's Wrath, ... even with three replacements in the deck I'd often end up with a dead draw Bad Bot (I only have one Splitter so it acts as a replacement). Now this deck feels about as strong as my pure GI deck which doesn't use Secluded Constructor.

If the deck itself wasn't so gimmicky I'd actually feel bad about abusing him in such a cheesy way. This and the Taste the Rainbow quest are the main reasons why I don't drop the monk for a Duelist.

Not worth using? What do you lose for playing him? He's only 3/2 below Knight of the Flame Dawn and for that small price he stops a whole myriad of damage based removal that FD is normally vulnerable to. And this while he himself isn't really vulnerable to anything. He protects himself from damage based removal and he's so cheap that hard removal isn't really cost efficient. Even more so if he stays in command or support.

The best part? When your opponent uses Word of Command to pull him into a Mass Death on the same turn as you play a second one. I don't use a lot of damage based removal myself so I can only imagine the frustration this card must cause for some.

In all seriousness, he should at least be vulnerable to damage himself. Maybe bring down his health to 4 as well just so you don't need two firebolts or similar to get rid of him(keep in mind that you could still play multiple). I don't want him to be overnerfed because I kind of like having a way to make cards like Secluded Constructor a bit less risky but he needs to have some counterplay. Right now it feels like he makes anything in your support or command zone nearly unkillable and that's just too much for a 2 cost character.

Offline iofhua

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 06:37:40 PM »
Yes right now he may protect the command zone, but the second post in this thread shows new changes made to him on the test server so he only works on the battlefield - which is the attack and defense zones only. I would rather keep his ability the way it is but have him cost more energy to deploy instead.

Offline goobypls

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 06:59:44 PM »
Yes right now he may protect the command zone, but the second post in this thread shows new changes made to him on the test server so he only works on the battlefield - which is the attack and defense zones only. I would rather keep his ability the way it is but have him cost more energy to deploy instead.

That's actually an older version of him. He has been changed after release 1 time already and he might get changed again when the Order balance patch goes live in a couple of weeks from now.

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 07:25:41 PM »

Please see this thread for discussion that has already happened around this card.

http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=63657.0

I can assure you that Noble Protector is in no way underpowered.

Offline CubicBerserker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 09:14:36 PM »

As others have pointed out this is how he used to work. The OP was actually in response to his previewed state, while the second post shows the state in which he was released. He has changed again since.

By the way, even back then he would protect your command zone. He would only do so while on the battlefield himself, but he offered a blanket protection to all zones when he was. This made him slightly more vulnerable and he couldn't protect a commander from a turn one lightning blast but the effect was more powerful in exchange.

Honestly I'm not sure which version is more broken but I think it's clear that something needs to change and I think not protecting himself is the most logical step. If his health is reduced as well then maybe he could keep working in command without being too over the top. He'd still be very powerful in my opinion but maybe not quite as crazy as he is now.

Of course, the fact that all these threads were started before the change isn't really helping the discussion along much. Nor is the fact that Infinite Network still lists the old effect. Maybe I should list his current effect here in case someone who doesn't have one is confused.

Noble Protector
Uncommon
1 purity FD
2 cost 6 morale cost
Character-Human
4/5

Characters in the same zone as Noble Protector cannot take non-combat damage from effects your opponent's[sic] control.

Now let's hope I remember to edit this next time he changes.

Offline Surkov

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 03:03:07 AM »
Personally speaking I feel that the only real change that is warranted is a purity increase.

Offline kcat4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 11:13:20 PM »
Maybe all that needs to happen is make the ability activatable rather than passive at a resource cost. That way it gives you the choice of being safe from abilities at the cost of tempo or scratching that for an all out attack.  It just seems to make more sense as a flame dawn card in the sense of risk reward.

What I mean by activatable is a one turn ability that you have to activate it again with the resource cost. This would mean it would (depending on the resource cost) be irritating to crippling if you constantly activate it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:25:26 PM by kcat4 »

Offline Dogeee [BoD]

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2015, 12:55:24 PM »
to make it an activating ability would kill the card obviously. your opponent would just need the priority, causing you to pay resources for nothing and he would never ever cast his dmgbased removal(s) a turn in which you got the priority. a purity increase to 2fd plus making it cost 3 at a lets say 6/7 body would make sense to me. it would still work with the bionic duelist combo though, but i think that's not that hard to beat, also you had to choose if you deploy him or the duelist in turn 3. actually the card is rly powerful, but lightningstrike, bolt,wow, yw and overcharged storm (?) are strong too.

"this game is rock bottem" - mew28

Offline kcat4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 01:50:53 AM »
Sorry about that late nights make me overlook inportant details  :P .   Hmm maybe reduce maximum resources by 1. It would mess with tempo a bit but they could always use Wealthy noble ... It might be me nitpicking but I enjoy Flame Dawn due to the high risk, high reward style it tends to follow and the mind games that go with it. Noble Protector has the reward but lacks a lot of the risk. But I guess this might just be a transitional phase and other cards and tactics might show up eventually to counteract Noble Protector.

Offline Goldschuss

• Death Ray, I don't like you
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 05:06:02 PM »
Are there 2 noble protectors? Because the version I have is even worse from all of them.
Is he even worth to get anyhow? his stats are rather small, and he hasn't even charge for a 2 cost character

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 06:58:48 PM »
Noble Protector has gone through two different iterations.

Currently he is a 4/5 who protects all characters in the same zone as him from non-combat damage.

This may not seem like a great deal but is actually an incredibly strong effect that can shut down entire decks.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream