Author Topic: Summoning Stone  (Read 690 times)

Offline Clearbeard

• View Profile
Summoning Stone
« on: December 03, 2014, 07:09:44 AM »
I just got this card, and I was wondering what, exactly, constitutes a "spell"?  My first assumption is any Ability card, or perhaps more specifically any Ability - Magic card.  But something like using Aleta Sorceress' ability is easily interpreted as "casting a spell."  So firstly, how does the card work now?  And secondly, how do people think it *should* work?

Additionally, the card doesn't say anything about removing the tokens when you spawn your demon.  I assume they do go away though, and don't just keep cranking stronger demons on subsequent turns?

Which brings to mind a possible slight nerf to Oblivion that might bring it more in line.  Change the cost reduction to only Ability - Magic cards in your graveyard.  Makes lore sense: why would using that Recycle charge up your supermegawonderspell anyway?  Plus it cuts down marginally on deckbuilding options if you're aiming to pull Oblivion, bringing it back under more control.

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
Re: Summoning Stone
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:00:11 AM »
Yes, a 'spell' is simply an ability card. Although Aleta's ability might look like a spell, it's just that, an 'ability'. That's how it's worked ever since it was released and aside from the 'spell' miswording, I don't believe many people had trouble thinking it should work a different way. Not only that, but deciding what 'abilities' are considered spells could be quite a pain and bring more doubts to the card itself (like why would Sorceress' ability be a 'spell' and Caretaker not?, for example)

And indeed, it removes its tokens upon usage. Otherwise every CoV deck would run the crap out of this card :P

Offline Clearbeard

• View Profile
Re: Summoning Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 12:30:01 PM »
Yes, a 'spell' is simply an ability card. Although Aleta's ability might look like a spell, it's just that, an 'ability'. That's how it's worked ever since it was released and aside from the 'spell' miswording, I don't believe many people had trouble thinking it should work a different way. Not only that, but deciding what 'abilities' are considered spells could be quite a pain and bring more doubts to the card itself (like why would Sorceress' ability be a 'spell' and Caretaker not?, for example)

And indeed, it removes its tokens upon usage. Otherwise every CoV deck would run the crap out of this card :P

Well, it would be quite simple to define "spell" as "Ability - Magic" though it begs the question why the word spell was ever used if it's simply all ability cards.  And come to think of it, why they have the "Magic" subtype in the game at all, if they're not even going to use it for obvious candidates like Summoning Stone and Oblivion.  Quality control is nowhere near obsessive enough for my tastes!  Anyway, thanks for the clarifications.