Author Topic: A Comprehensive Guide to Rules, Terminology and Mechanics  (Read 6692 times)

Offline goobypls

• View Profile
Re: A Comprehensive Guide to Rules, Terminology and Mechanics
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 10:10:14 PM »
wow this is very, very useful. great work!

Offline fmcpma

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 05:51:38 PM »
Great work and thanks, Sakuragi. It is just a pity that there isn't an official rulebook.

However, there is one keyword that I don't know what it does. It is "Flame Strike X", as in Kali, the Purifier. Is it the same as "immolate"?

Also, as someone new to the game, combat does not seem obvious to me. Suppose there are two characters on each side, each facing an opponent. Say the leftmost defending character kills its opponent and survives. Immediately the next attacking character shifts left, replacing the one just killed. Now it attacks. But its opponent is not in front of it anymore, since it (the attacker) moved left. But they fight like that anyway, in a diagonal. Am I getting this right? (Sometimes it's hard to tell, just by watching combat.) If I am right, wouldn't it be more logical to only shift characters after combat – unless, of course, the surviving one has Unstoppable and needs to kill more people :-) What I'm saying is that you could explain these mechanics in your guide.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:53:15 PM by fmcpma »

Offline CubicBerserker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 10:14:05 PM »
Great work and thanks, Sakuragi. It is just a pity that there isn't an official rulebook.

However, there is one keyword that I don't know what it does. It is "Flame Strike X", as in Kali, the Purifier. Is it the same as "immolate"?

Also, as someone new to the game, combat does not seem obvious to me. Suppose there are two characters on each side, each facing an opponent. Say the leftmost defending character kills its opponent and survives. Immediately the next attacking character shifts left, replacing the one just killed. Now it attacks. But its opponent is not in front of it anymore, since it (the attacker) moved left. But they fight like that anyway, in a diagonal. Am I getting this right? (Sometimes it's hard to tell, just by watching combat.) If I am right, wouldn't it be more logical to only shift characters after combat – unless, of course, the surviving one has Unstoppable and needs to kill more people :-) What I'm saying is that you could explain these mechanics in your guide.

Thanks again.

I think you might have misunderstood how combat is supposed to happen. Characters have no designated opponents. An attacker will always attack the leftmost character that is able to block it. What character was or is "in front" of an attacker does not matter, only the order of defenders is relevant. They do not "face" an opponent, the defender who will block the attack (if any is available) is only decided once the character attacks and is always the first character in the defense zone that can block.

In the example you gave the second attacker will now attack the first defender(not the second one) since that defender survived and is still the leftmost character able to block. It will not attack the second defender unless the first attacker killed the first defender. Defenders do not block an opponent each, they block until they die and then the next one starts blocking.

This is explained in the section about the defense zone.

Flame Strike used to be called Immolate until not too long ago (though I don't know since when exactly, I just noticed it one day). I suppose it was changed to avoid confusion between Immolate and Immolated. I guess the guide hasn't been updated to reflect this yet.

Offline SDSakuragi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 06:12:44 AM »
Been busy at work... barely played any recently. I'll update it soon.

Edit: Done
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 06:47:27 AM by SDSakuragi »

Offline fmcpma

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 04:31:35 AM »
Ok, thanks for the explanation. I really haven't yet read this guide but I've downloaded it and will read it carefully. It's just that, if that is the way combat occurs, then it is not very intuitive. I mean: two rows of adversaries facing each other and, instead of each one engaging the nearest enemy, they just wait in line till they get to the leftmost side, which is the only spot where combat is allowed. Anyway, I'll try to get used to it ;-)

Offline CubicBerserker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 06:15:51 AM »
Ok, thanks for the explanation. I really haven't yet read this guide but I've downloaded it and will read it carefully. It's just that, if that is the way combat occurs, then it is not very intuitive. I mean: two rows of adversaries facing each other and, instead of each one engaging the nearest enemy, they just wait in line till they get to the leftmost side, which is the only spot where combat is allowed. Anyway, I'll try to get used to it ;-)

Well if it did work that way then we'd probably have slots to place characters in right? Like in Spectromancer for example. Characters stop lining up when there's more than a few anyway. You could think of it as a layered defense rather than a single line. You'll probably get used to it quickly.

Note that the character blocking could be a different one in the case of flyers attacking. In that case the leftmost character with flying or reach will block. There's also Kills By Leaping, which ignores the first defender.

I just realized I have no clue what happens if you give Kills By Leaping flying somehow. I might need to test that one of these days.

Offline DrayGon777

• Friendly Neighborhood Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 02:37:41 PM »
I think he might be used to most of those automated card games where the characters are all played in a line and face off against those across from them. I've played a few, but they aren't very interactive since all you do is build a deck and hope for good RNG. :P
Just so you guys know, if you're ever vs WWK, just start putting out random numbers and mathematical symbols, he will surrender.

Offline fmcpma

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 04:12:14 PM »
I think he might be used to most of those automated card games where the characters are all played in a line and face off against those across from them. I've played a few, but they aren't very interactive since all you do is build a deck and hope for good RNG. :P

No, I'm not used to any automated games, don't even know any. I'm used to Magic and mainly to LOTR TCG and LOTR TCG online, by Decipher (RIP). And you can address me directly.

Offline DrayGon777

• Friendly Neighborhood Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 02:06:55 AM »
My apologies. While I haven't played the LotR TCGs, I have played Magic, and in that, the opponent gets to select what defends what. Of course Characters in Magic also heal fully at the end of each turn. I'll have to look at the LotR TCG to see how that differs.

Regardless, I can see how you're viewing the battle phase, but I also understand that different card games handle battles differently. The way IW handles it is that the first blocker takes all the hits till the opponent's attackers have all attacked, or the blocker can't take any more hits (usually from health dropping to 0). Then it moves on to the next blocker and so forth. This, in my opinion, allows a lot of mind games because you have to figure out what order the opponent will block in, and adjust your attackers accordingly, or vice versa.

There is a card that lets your characters fight much like you state in your original post, to a degree. It's Kung Ji (hope I got the right chinese name), Master Strategist. When each defender takes a hit, they move to the back of the line. If there are more attackers than blockers, this may mean that some blockers get hit multiple times, though. Most players seem to view it as a subpar card, especially since there's a few DoD cards that you want to block most, if not all the hits, but he is the only card to provide constant battlefield healing so far.
Just so you guys know, if you're ever vs WWK, just start putting out random numbers and mathematical symbols, he will surrender.

Offline fmcpma

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 05:11:24 AM »
Well, in LOTR TCG blocking is mostly like in Magic, though it's called assigning and if there are more attackers (minions) than defenders (companions and allies), the attacker gets to assign the excess minions anyway he likes – usually, all on Frodo, since killing him wins the game.

But, as you say, each game is different and I surely will get used to it and learn to appreciate the unique strategies this combat system allows. Thanks for your suggestions.

Online NatoPotato

• Guns don't kill people, ninjas kill people.
    • View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 06:40:54 AM »
---Update---
Added section for Overcharge
Added section for Immolated, rather than just mentioning it in the Flame Strike text
Added 'Mission' to several references to card types/abilities/etc where applicable
Added Keyword Abilities section to card anatomy list and picture
Added 'auto-scroll' links to text saying to read or refer to another section
Updated Rarity section to list what the rarities are
Updated Lives section to reflect current implementation
Updated Potentially Legal Targets section to reflect current implementation, not just 'wrong zone'
Updated Untouchable section to mention cards which use the wording "Choose" being immune
Updated Dual Faction section to mention multi faction cards with triple purity (aberion/gao han)
Updated invalid links to Infinite Network to their equivalent pages on Infinity Wars Wiki instead
Fixed any Grammatical errors I noticed
Set up Table of Contents to link to all sections, not just chapters, and added a 'back to top' link in the page footer for easier navigation
Added nice page header ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:15:43 PM by NatoPotato »

Offline Wayfinder1026

• Anime Freak
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 05:12:22 PM »
My apologies. While I haven't played the LotR TCGs, I have played Magic, and in that, the opponent gets to select what defends what. Of course Characters in Magic also heal fully at the end of each turn. I'll have to look at the LotR TCG to see how that differs.

Regardless, I can see how you're viewing the battle phase, but I also understand that different card games handle battles differently. The way IW handles it is that the first blocker takes all the hits till the opponent's attackers have all attacked, or the blocker can't take any more hits (usually from health dropping to 0). Then it moves on to the next blocker and so forth. This, in my opinion, allows a lot of mind games because you have to figure out what order the opponent will block in, and adjust your attackers accordingly, or vice versa.

There is a card that lets your characters fight much like you state in your original post, to a degree. It's Kung Ji (hope I got the right chinese name), Master Strategist. When each defender takes a hit, they move to the back of the line. If there are more attackers than blockers, this may mean that some blockers get hit multiple times, though. Most players seem to view it as a subpar card, especially since there's a few DoD cards that you want to block most, if not all the hits, but he is the only card to provide constant battlefield healing so far.

I miss seeing my friendly neighborhood dragon. :C
*No one's noticed i'm a madman*

Online NatoPotato

• View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 04:15:45 AM »
---Update---
Added section for PvE with basic info on Campaign, Academy and AI/Bots
Added section for PVP with basic info on Constructed Normal/Ranked and Rift Runs
Added sections for Healing,Sacrificing, Raising, Recruiting, Destroying and Deploying to Global Mechanics
Updated Card Anatomy Image to reflect current card layout (set name position)
Updated Token Generators section to mention premiums
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:30:09 AM by NatoPotato »

Online NatoPotato

• View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 05:20:36 AM »
---Update---
Updated info on Rarity
Updated into on Rift Runs
Added section for Fixed Deck mode

Online NatoPotato

• View Profile
    • CLICK ME
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »
---Update---
Added link to new official video explaining turn resolution order.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stzsRbStcXA)