Author Topic: A Comprehensive Guide to Rules, Terminology and Mechanics  (Read 6385 times)

Offline SDSakuragi

• View Profile
A Comprehensive Guide to Rules, Terminology and Mechanics
« on: November 07, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »
Brought to you by the awesome folks at http://www.twitch.tv/nexustavern  8)

This is probably the best we're going to get until Poga and the Lightmare crew get done rewriting the Official Rulebook. Please leave any comments below. Let me know if I got any of my facts wrong and how it should be corrected.

You can find the guide here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nMfdaPapOnBH-Hq29wPx6sN-G_a8RSagvchc9PsSR3c/edit?usp=sharing

WARNING: This guide is not meant to be a neophyte player’s guide to Infinity Wars. This guide assumes the reader has at least some level of familiarity with the game’s interface and will not touch upon subjects outside of rules and mechanics, such as the Store or how to browse your collection, etc. This is also not a strategy guide, it won’t tell you how to build powerful decks or which cards are strictly better than others. This guide is meant purely as a reference for novice to intermediate players to help them better understand rules, terminology and application of mechanics within Infinity Wars.

---News---
1/24/15 - Immolate changed to Flame Strike.
12/8/14 - Removed info regarding Champion of Ruin inconsistency due to Order rework.
12/5/14 - Added info about Mission cards and the Champion Keyword Ability.
11/20/14 - Added information regarding interaction of Two Lives with cards which remove Characters upon killing them.
11/16/14 - Added information regarding Characters with activated abilities dying before the resolution of their abilities.
11/15/14 - Added note about inconsistency on Champion of Ruin's written text versus how it actually  functions.
11/11/14 - Various minor edits for consistency of language and clarity.
11/8/14 - Added info regarding moving cards within the same zone in Planning Stage section. Added information regarding tokens.
11/7/14 - The first draft is now posted. I'll go over grammar and spelling later when my eyes aren't dried the puffy out. Made some changes as suggested by Pjoelj, Symphony and Foodanator.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:09:10 AM by RikkiTikki »

Offline 3Sleeper

• View Profile
Re: A Comprehensive Guide to Rules, Terminology and Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 10:15:29 PM »
great work  :) ;) :D

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 11:31:06 PM »
Hey Saku, that's some amazing work right there, mate! It's freaking well organized and it's a great read. This should be stickied and take over the official rulebook, imo :v

Still, there are a "few" notes I'd like to make (I couldn't find you online to send them through PM, so if you'd like me to delete this after you read to keep the thread clean, please lemme know :P) :

• When ability cards are played, they don't really stay in your hand. They go to a 'limbo' between your hand and your graveyard, thus cards that involve hand discard (i.e. Demonic Presence) will not prevent those abilities from resolving.
  • While most card effects can be undone like you said, I believe there is one that states you can't undo it once you've picked your choice. I'm pretty sure it's Chained Vasir, but my memory fails me :/
  • While you are correct on how Immolate works, it might be worth to add a note that it's currently worded somewhat incorrectly. It states that the damage happens at the start of the turn, not at the end. While there's no real difference, it's just a minor nitpick
  • You missed standard character abilities during resolution phase (between deployment/start of turn effects and preemptive abilities)
  • End of turn effects don't resolve simultaneously. This can be shown with how Hydra interacts with Poison. Hydra's 'damage check' resolves before Poison ticks are applied. Same goes for Immolation.
  • While this is also a minor nitpick, Charge and Vigilance don't "allow" a character to be deployed in the assault/defense zone. They force them to be deployed there (unless they were in command zone)
  • Hunt was changed quite a while ago and it does not allow you to target untouchables anymore (unfortunately :/). You don't get the red on the card, but it won't let you pick it. Many bug reports have been sent, but there's been no change.
  • As a few notes, removing an enraged character from play (i.e. CTA) will reset their enraged status, but will still allow you to enrage the character again and the character will keep any art changes (1/5 enraged dropbear :P)
  • And if you recycle an ascended card and manage to play it again, it will keep its previous ascended status

I guess that's it. Thanks a lot for making this great rulebook, Saku :3~

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 12:29:52 AM »
+1 Good job. Probably should be stickied!
Goose got me loose!

Offline BunnyStark

• bunnyxian90@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 12:48:43 AM »
Neat guide!  8)
Biggest Single Cards Store in The Entire History Of Mankind.
All cards at dirt cheap price.

http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=63967.0

Offline Pjoelj

• It's been a while...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 12:56:10 AM »
Well, that was an interesting read with a lot of good information. Great job there! I'd say this deserves to be stickied.
Of course, being the kind of person I am, I have some nitpicks and suggestions:

* On page 6, while talking about resource costs, stating that it's the cost of "deploying the card" is slightly misleading as Ability cards are played, rather than deployed. I know, extremely small detail, but still, calling it the cost of "deploying or playing the card" would probably be better.

* Multiple references to "Deployment cost" throughout the guide should probably be "Resource cost", as the term "Resource cost" is used in the tutorial and when hovering over it on a card, while I can find no references to the term "Deployment cost" in-game.

* On page 12, what you referred to as "hybrid purity" is called "dual purity" and what you referred to as "mercenary" is called "hybrid purity", according to the deckbuilder.

Quote from: Page 15
Any abilities or effects Characters in the Command Zone may have can be activated or triggered.
Unless stated otherwise, that is. Which should probably go without saying, but there's no harm in being abundantly clear.

* In a comprehensive guide, it might be interesting to note that it is possible to lose health or morale after the game checks for losses, allowing a player to survive for a turn with 0 health or 0 morale. For example, when a Character dies to poison, the morale loss happens after the game checks for game losses.

* It may be worth noting that in the rare case that Charge and Vigilance are both present on the same card, the one stated last on the card appears to override the other one. It's a situation one probably won't encounter unless specifically trying to, but it's interesting none the less.

Quote from: Page 36
Haste allows Characters to be deployed to anywhere in the Deployed Zone.
As far as I know, when deployed from the hand, Characters with Haste can still only be deployed to Support (unless they also have Charge or Vigilance, in which case they're deployed to Assault or Defence). Not that this really matters, since they can instantly move to any of the other zones anyway.

Quote from: page 37
When a player’s Character with Infect kills another Character through combat
Infect triggers on non-combat kills too.
Puffy, it even used to trigger on walrus and consecrating angel killing artifacts and locations, but that's since been fixed.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:00:57 AM by Pjoelj »
________
   |___|  
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Got thesis!

Offline SDSakuragi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 06:15:29 AM »
Okay, did some editing.

Fixed pretty much everything Pjoelj mentioned.

Fixed most of what Symphony pointed out. Somethings I may need to test more, so I removed mention of the whole Hunt/Untouchable interaction.

End of turn effects don't resolve simultaneously. This can be shown with how Hydra interacts with Poison. Hydra's 'damage check' resolves before Poison ticks are applied.

I just tested the Hydra's end of turn check last night by putting it into a zone with Shirazius, giving it Poison 3, and hitting it with 2 Lightning Blasts in the same turn. The 10/10 became 24/(10/24) by the start of the next turn. This was also tested with Tome of the Dead and CTA. It did not matter who had initiative, whatever Character was CTAed was still destroyed by my Tome at the end of the turn, because the return and destroy effects happens at once with no regard to Initiative.

As a few notes, removing an enraged character from play (i.e. CTA) will reset their enraged status, but will still allow you to enrage the character again and the character will keep any art changes (1/5 enraged dropbear :P)

Regarding the Enrage + CTA interactions I did write "Any activated abilities involving Enrage, can only be used once for as long as that Character remains in play." CTA removes the Character from play, thus the Character may be Enraged again.

You missed standard character abilities during resolution phase (between deployment/start of turn effects and preemptive abilities)

Not sure what you mean by standard character abilities. Could you give me an example?

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 10:40:18 AM »
Oh, I kinda completely missread some of the info and missed out on the others. The CTA bit is indeed there and the characters abilities were also included. Blame it on the lack of sleep :P

I just tested the Hydra's end of turn check last night by putting it into a zone with Shirazius, giving it Poison 3, and hitting it with 2 Lightning Blasts in the same turn. The 10/10 became 24/(10/24) by the start of the next turn. This was also tested with Tome of the Dead and CTA. It did not matter who had initiative, whatever Character was CTAed was still destroyed by my Tome at the end of the turn, because the return and destroy effects happens at once with no regard to Initiative.
Upon retesting it, they did in fact change how it resolved. It's not on any patch I can find, as usual x.x"
Before this 'fix' not only did Shirazius only worked with the Hydra that was added later during deck building (as in literally added after the shirazius), but poison ticks and immolation resolved after the hydra's damage check. Glad it's fixed now :P

Offline SDSakuragi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 05:28:35 PM »
Lol ;D

I was also surprised by the changes. I'm actually very aware of how hyrdras used to work. I wrote a wall of text on it 3 months ago:

http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=62043.0

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 09:05:15 PM »
It wasn't a fix with the card itself, it was altered by the way turns resolve. If there was a change, it was not one I was made aware of.
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline DrayGon777

• Friendly Neighborhood Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 02:34:22 AM »
I think it's a good change, though. Makes sense and helps Hydras to become useful again. They are still fairly easy to kill, but perhaps they can take something big down with them. XD
Just so you guys know, if you're ever vs WWK, just start putting out random numbers and mathematical symbols, he will surrender.

Offline AAAAANNNTS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 02:00:01 AM »
Wow, I was just about to sit down and write up a comprehensive rulebook for this game, thank god I found this.  Was the link to this in Rules always stickied?  If so, I'm not only late but also blind.  I'd never have thought to look in the Guides section for this.

Is LM really working on a rulebook of their own?

About this guide, though: so far, from what I've read over, this really is a godsend.  You guys at the tavern really know your stuff.  However, I've been itching to write up an extremely technical rulebook that defines every rules-relevant term (including "game," "player," "card," etc.) and tries to keep vocabulary as uniform as humanly possible.  Also, maybe it's just my in-progress legal education, or me being spoiled by MTG, but my idea of an ideal rulebook is one that's organized in numbered and lettered sections and subsections.  No matter what, I'm going to try making my version for my own personal enjoyment, but I was wondering if that was what you guys and Lightmare had in mind when talking about a rulebook.

We currently have some amazing player guides, but I won't be satisfied until the other side of the spectrum is represented just as well.  In addition, it might help clarify how LM goes about their implementation of card functions, which is why I wanted to include, and am overjoyed that you guys included, sections on irregular and inconsistent interactions and wordings.
>Lightning Bolt will never be in IW ;_;

Offline SDSakuragi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 05:19:34 AM »
We tried to keep the working and vocabulary as consistent as possible not only within the guide itself but also with the official terminology based on the in game UI, tutorials, etc. Being one of the few players that has keeps an up to date copy of the 200 page+ comprehensive ruleset for MtG, I try to be as aware of the lexicon as possible. If you notice any inconsistencies let me know.

Offline KillerOrc

• The road to success is always under construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 07:37:42 PM »
Great work Sakuragi.

Got as small addition which would be nice to have in the guide. If you have the info about master/apprentice and how it works it would be nice to put it in. I just tried to look it up to see how much more ip/xp you get and how it works.

I think it is full points even if you lose. and some bonus cards once in a while (don´t know the interval). Those bonus blister packs contains 2 commons/ 1 uncommon from the IWCore2013 set (Info from Clearbeard)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:42:31 PM by KillerOrc »

Offline SDSakuragi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 08:48:42 PM »
Great work Sakuragi.

Got as small addition which would be nice to have in the guide. If you have the info about master/apprentice and how it works it would be nice to put it in. I just tried to look it up to see how much more ip/xp you get and how it works.

I think it is full points even if you lose. and some bonus cards once in a while (don´t know the interval). Those bonus blister packs contains 2 commons/ 1 uncommon from the IWCore2013 set (Info from Clearbeard)

The interval is every 15 minutes of real time spent in a match.

Unfortunately, this guide is strictly just for gameplay rules and mechanics. It doesn't even go into IP or EXP at all and hence a section on the Master/Apprentice system has no place in it.

For more basic information about Infinity Wars, you can try this guide:

http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=62364.0

This has all the information about the various other features of Infinity Wars outside of the rules and mechanics. It goes over Master/Apprentice on page 12.