Author Topic: Inaugural Community Wars Tournament Series: Creative Concept Awards Posted  (Read 19447 times)

Offline Istarune

• View Profile
Re: Community Wars Tournament Series: October 4th/5th
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 07:50:44 AM »
IGN: LEGION346
Twitch: LEGION346

I've question about deck restrictions.  For example: I have as commander Xi, Lucca and Kali ( all ascended versions ) and they are all locked as OS commanders. And I can't change commanders but I can change their purity and cards in deck?
That is correct, you could change your deck purity to 1 FD, 1 DoD, 1 GI if you wanted, or some combination there of, and your deck could change accordingly. When you submit your commanders you are not submitting purity, just cards.
Since we cannot regulate deck composition and have oversight on sideboards this seemed the best compromise that gave good tactical options, but still forced you to consider specific strategies through intelligent commander choice.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:53:26 AM by Istarune »

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 07:59:56 AM »
So if you had 3 Infested Zombies your deck could be either 3 purity exiles or 3 purity sleepers and anything inbetween :P the mind games! lol
Goose got me loose!

Offline LEGION346

• Translator
  • Don't make me miss that rush, take me to the crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 08:30:09 AM »
Thanks for answer. I will try to record all my games and then publish them on my YT channel. Do you want version with commentary or no?

Offline Wuffles

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »
Id like to join the tournament :) As long as dirty players are dealt with properly or at least better than they were in the Gold Launch tournament.

Also I dont have a way to record is that going to be a problem?

Offline Istarune

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 10:00:22 AM »
That is up to you Legion, I know Novablue likes to practice doing commentary for recorded games so he might like a clean copy to work on.

Id like to join the tournament :) As long as dirty players are dealt with properly or at least better than they were in the Gold Launch tournament.

What specific issues were there in the Gold Launch tournament, so we know to be on the look-out and plan ahead.
And as long as you have a way to Screenshot your victory screens no issue at all.

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2014, 10:32:01 AM »
So if you had 3 Infested Zombies your deck could be either 3 purity exiles or 3 purity sleepers and anything inbetween :P the mind games! lol
You could only go from 2 sleepers/1 exiles to 1 sleepers/2 exiles. Hybrid commanders still require both purities in command to work, mr. Bear :v

As for the tourney, I have an exam scheduled for the 6th and I really can't forgo of all the hours on the strict tourney schedule. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great thing to be able to finish it in 2 days and not delay it like the gold one, but I don't believe I'll be able to get my studying done before that weekend :/
Would I be able to maybe hold a spot and give you the feedback maybe 5 days before the Saturday (the 4th), Ista? I really want to be a part of the tournament ;-;

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2014, 11:07:51 AM »
So if you had 3 Infested Abominations your deck could be either 3 purity exiles or 3 purity sleepers and anything inbetween :P the mind games! lol
Fixed.

Offline Siuper

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 11:10:18 AM »
in game name: Siuper

Offline NovaBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 11:42:33 AM »
Hey guys, first of all i want to thank all of you guys who are signing up and donating so far its amazing to see the turn out and enthusiasm behind this. Also i want to make sure Istarune gets  the credit he deserves. He has done most of the leg work for this and im just the pretty face. So please make sure you thank him when the day comes or before.

No if you cant record  its no problem at all. If you can though what i would like to do is collect as many of the tournament matches as i can and do a mass shoutcast of them shortly after the tournament. So if you can record them and get them to me it should be fun.

Thanks for the continued support and i will see you all on my stream at the time or some point before!

Cheers

Nova

Offline GTRMERCY1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »
This is brilliant! thank you for all the effort and hard work put in to set this up. Please sign me up, may not having any amazing card' to contribute but I'll find something.

IGN:GTRMERCY1

Offline Mysterion

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2014, 02:27:54 PM »
Hey Nova and Istarune, thanks for doing this. I do suggest a ban list. I would even consider going not just for bugged cards either, but to also encourage deck diversity. We all know there are a few cards that should be changed and we are waiting for balance changes. So why not impose some yourself?

Depending on if there is a ban list etc.. I am interested in joining. I would like to join provisionally at first if that is ok? I will give a definitive answer well before the tourney start. You said all desync's etc.. will be treated like a disconnect. Can you elaborate on that? There can be some regular desyncs as well as players intentionally desyncing. How will this be determined fairly? I like the gold tourneys idea of replaying all desync games, with the caveat if there is no clear winner (this will obviously cause some arguments). If one player is obviously winning, then no game should be replayed. I am guessing you decided to make draws worth one point to speed things up?

You stated commanders will be made public knowledge. How far in advance of the tourney? Wouldn't this ruin the surprise factor of deck building, especially the creative award?

Suggestion: Make it so if you are afk for the first match (without contacting your opponent first) you forfeit your spot.  I see no reason to need to have to wait 30 minutes to get a match win. Those signing up for the tourney know they are in for a long day of playing and as you stated if they cannot be present should not sign up. All it would take is a simple PM to your next opponent or admin saying hey I need an extra ~x minutes and that should be fine (unless the person keeps doing it). If your computer or power fails and cannot be brought back online in the 15 minutes time well you should be SOL then. These things do happen and they are not the tournament organizers fault.

I am also going to donate to the tourney rewards. If you see me in game (IGN: Vexbane) Just hit me up. Twitch name Myysterious
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:49:10 PM by Mysterion »

Offline LEGION346

• Translator
  • Don't make me miss that rush, take me to the crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »
Mysterion, I agree with you about ban cards. I would suggest to ban: Evolving Parasite, Phase Bot and Wholesale Slaughter ( That card because it's to much RNG which can ruin better player chance for winning a game )

Offline Grinnin_Gin

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2014, 04:39:18 PM »
Mysterion, I agree with you about ban cards. I would suggest to ban: Evolving Parasite, Phase Bot and Wholesale Slaughter ( That card because it's to much RNG which can ruin better player chance for winning a game )

I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea of banning cards because of some people's perception of balance.

Cards should only be banned because of issues with the game bugging out, no more, no less.

Offline Istarune

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »
You said all desync's etc.. will be treated like a disconnect. Can you elaborate on that? There can be some regular desyncs as well as players intentionally desyncing. How will this be determined fairly? I like the gold tourneys idea of replaying all desync games, with the caveat if there is no clear winner (this will obviously cause some arguments). If one player is obviously winning, then no game should be replayed. I am guessing you decided to make draws worth one point to speed things up?

You stated commanders will be made public knowledge. How far in advance of the tourney? Wouldn't this ruin the surprise factor of deck building, especially the creative award?

Suggestion: Make it so if you are afk for the first match (without contacting your opponent first) you forfeit your spot.  I see no reason to need to have to wait 30 minutes to get a match win. Those signing up for the tourney know they are in for a long day of playing and as you stated if they cannot be present should not sign up. All it would take is a simple PM to your next opponent or admin saying hey I need an extra ~x minutes and that should be fine (unless the person keeps doing it). If your computer or power fails and cannot be brought back online in the 15 minutes time well you should be SOL then. These things do happen and they are not the tournament organizers fault.

I am also going to donate to the tourney rewards. If you see me in game (IGN: Vexbane) Just hit me up.

Desyncs are actually not common, in normal play. If a desync happens once for a player during the tournament, that's honestly a bit unusual. Twice is entirely suspicious. Under Rounds and Reporting:
In case of a Disconnect, the players will first attempt to decide if there was a clear winner. If there is no clear winner agreed upon by both players, an additional match will be played instead. If a dispute arises please take a screenshot and contact an Admin.
It's going to have to be on a case-by-case basis as to if a warning is issued, someone is given an automatic loss for that game, or is disqualified ect.

As it states at the end of Deck Policy:
You will give your list of Commanders to the Admins at Check In, and the list of Commanders will only be made public once Check In is complete. This is being done so that players who Check In early will not be at any disadvantage compared to those who check in later.

As for the first match, people are going to be checking in before the start of it anyways. Stated in Check In:
Check in begins at 4:00pm GMT/IWT October 4th, if you have not checked in by 4:45pm GMT/IWT on October 4th your spot will be given to a randomly determined player present who does not yet have a slot.
This new person should obviously be present and good to go for the first Round, so it shouldn't be an issue anyways.

Any agreement between two people scheduled to play a match, as far as timing, will be honored AS LONG as it doesn't interfere with the operation of the rest of the tournament. Unfortunately this means we cannot "wait an hour" for one person who then plays 3 full 15-20 minute games, but if two people are both running fast decks and wait a half hour, that BOTH parties agree too? Well after all you two will be reporting it, if neither of you say you're late that doesn't hurt anyone else right? :D

As far as bans go...we're still talking it over. We made the initial decision not to ban anything because it's a very slippery slope as to what is fair to ban, and what is not to. Evolving Parasite is a cornerstone of several inventive deck ideas for instance, but if can also cause sync issues. Wholesale slaughter is most commonly associated with the relatively un-fun mill/stall style deck, but can also be used in things like Two Lives/Recursion decks that use more creatures and have counter-play options. Looks like we need to talk it over again and think on the issue carefully. We will try to have any ban-list that might occur posted by next Wednesday, so people can make a full decision.

I hope that answers your questions?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:24:27 PM by Istarune »

Offline Weak_Wolf

• In Vino Veritas
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2014, 05:35:53 PM »
I read the rules and did everything else. I WANT TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT!

Name: Weak_Wolf...  See you guys on October 4th