Author Topic: Symbiote Prototype  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Junker99

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 08:27:21 PM »
As someone with a pair of omnitrons I never considered using Symbiote Prototype that way before. I might be able to make a functional deck with your information.

wham

Re: Symbiote Prototype
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 11:21:59 PM »
Splitter is nice, but all the time and resources you invest into it can disappear easily if its hit with a removal spell. Symbiote on the other hand has to be killed directly through combat damage. That's a HUGE plus when dealing with FD or CoV meta-decks.
Although you made a pretty interesting post, I think you're underestimating the potential of splitter robot. His ability allows you to play him out against control at turn four, because infected drone has the same body and no downside for killing him. Against flame dawn, if he dies you get free blockers, which can buy you valuable time for the late game.

Offline Interesting_Socks

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 06:19:20 PM »
Untouchable is a bit overrated tbh, not every deck uses kill spells. But if a deck with kill spells sees a card with untouchable it just uses its kill spells on something else (the same applies with spells like stumble). Untouchable is much more effective when everything has it, or when you're attacking alone e.g. when using Azeal or Radariah respectively.

Untouchable doesn't make your card invincible to removal spells, it's still vulnerable to AOE removal, especially Mass Death. It just slightly limits your opponents options. But it doesn't really make you feel that much safer, especially on a card without flying, so it doesn't really increase your own options.

Untouchable actually reduces your options, especially with GI. GI is very focused on getting efficient trades, using aleta to buff cards so they can get a perfect 2 for 1 trade (e.g. using a 13/13 splitter bot taking out two opposing 10/10 splitter bots. This is an option that untouchable would remove.

Finally, splitter bot is a card that people avoid trying to kill unless they have to. In it's raw form it's just a 10/10 for 4 cost and doesn't get its full value until it dies. So people prefer to use their removal on other cards, e.g. on your 10/10 infected drone. So I'm not sure how much you're gaining by using Symbiote Prototype.

Offline ecliptix

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 07:04:27 PM »
To be fair, I do run Splitter Robot AND Symbiote prototype in the same deck. And though people try to avoid killing Splitter robot, with three in the deck the odds are good that it will still get on the field anyways. But putting Symbiote Prototype in the CZ means that its going to be absorbing all the AoE buffs you throw meaning it isn't uncommon for it to become a 23/23 monstrosity by the time it hits the field without even really trying to buff it. One removal and suddenly all the buffs you put into Splitter are rendered moot. Playing GI isn't about making cost effective creatures, its about making every single point of power and toughness have a purpose which leads to cost effective creatures. If you invest in a 100/100 splitter robot (hypothetically) and he is hit with a death ray then you've effectively wasted 90/90 points of momentum that could have gone elsewhere. As for AoE removal, the only two cards that are even a remote concern are Overcharged Storm and MD, both of which can be easily averted with a small modicum of caution. I never rely on any card's capability to survive AoE - that comes down to a player's ability to read the field.

But it doesn't really make you feel that much safer, especially on a card without flying, so it doesn't really increase your own options.

Because in a deck of 40 cards, obviously Symbiote Prototype is going to be the only creature I'm using. *facepalm* I'm going to be honest jaja, after reading that I can't help but feel you're looking at this card with tunnel vision and neglecting to see what an impact the card can have on a GI deck -  in addition to - splitter robot and other Gi cards. Gi has a lot of AoE buffs and Symbiote prototype utilizes those buffs exceptionally well. With the deck I run it isn't uncommon for me to throw down both a Symbiote prototype and a splitter robot simultaneously on T5. The key is that both of them provide different benefits making for a flexible and well rounded team.

The thing most people overlook about Symbiosis Prototype is that it is NOT a turn 4 card (usually). Its an investment creature which picks up overbuffs so that its viable and powerful on T6-10 and can double as an emergency defender during T4&5. Splitter robot does better earlier on, but it falls off much more noticeably as a match progresses imo. Getting 2 5/5 creatures on turn 7+ really doesn't tend to make a substantial difference in the outcome of a game imo, even if buffed.
No matter the problem, the solution is always a flying emberstarter.

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 07:36:19 PM »
The problem - I feel - with symbiote prototype in command, is that you are giving up 2 of your 3 command slots to characters which don't directly provide early pressure.

Most competitive decks run primarily early drops in command, or characters which directly affect the early board state you are hoping to create for yourself. There are two reasons why this is generally the case, 1) If you are running later game characters in command you are trusting to RNG that you draw relevant cards early, and 2) statistically you are more likely to draw mid game and late game cards from your deck when they are relevant than you are to draw early game cards from your deck when they are relevant. (This is because you play early game cards early, typically, and you see fewer cards from your deck on the early turns than the later ones).

With the Symbiote setup you are running only an Infected Drone for your early pressure. The Symbiote does have the option of coming out early, as a 10/10, but if it does it likely gets a net value of less than what a Splitter would. If you can favorably control the board state and buff it with AoE buffs then perhaps late game it does become slightly stronger, but with no way to give it flying it can be chump blocked easily and you likely will only get a few turns of use before Calamity starts becoming relevant.

That is my analysis anyway.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:55:40 PM by MerliniX »

wham

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 02:29:47 PM »
&ecliptix

You are having problems here with splitter because you are trying to play it as a 23/23 when it's meant to be played as a 10/10. Of course if you try to play (Card A) in the way you play (Card B), no matter what both of the cards are, you will say that (Card A) is a terrible card 99% of the time.

Put the splitter into attack on turn four as a 10/10. He doesn't need any buffs, he doesn't need untouchable. If he gets killed, you have two tokens that provide the same exact stats and more potential for a lucca buff.

If you make the mistake of buffing any genesis card past around 15/15, it becomes a removal magnet. With splitter once you start getting close to 20/20, even with its great ability, it is better to kill it for a control player than to let it stay alive. But if you keep it at 10/10 or 13/13, even if he's killed you are given the same stats for free.