Author Topic: Virus of Avarrach  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Clearbeard

• View Profile
Virus of Avarrach
« on: August 21, 2014, 01:36:38 PM »
I really really used to love this card.  Part of that is that it was my very first Epic, so there's some nostalgia.  But it also won me more than its fair share of games.  But since the change with version 0.98, it just seems completely worthless.

I will grant that the old version was rather buggy.  It took a loooong time to resolve and occasionally crashed the game.  The 4/4 0 morale zombies were recreated every turn if they died (and possibly new ones were created if other creatures died, I never took the time to count exactly).  Then, from a gameplay standpoint, moving around the dozens of zombies you got was something of a chore and made the last turn or two drag on with extensions.

Before, it struck me as a powerful yet very balanced card (if the immortal bug/exploit was removed).  Sleepers are not good at accelerating their gameplay, lacking the Warpath's tools or ways to reliably protect Nobles.  Thus, devoting several turns in the late game boosting base resources instead of playing or drawing cards is a very risky play.  It was always a sort of Hail Mary, all or nothing move to take when the deck's main strategy was countered and foundering.  Even when it paid off, Yuanshi's Wrath, Mass Death, Winds of War, a double Heat Wave, or a lingering Mega Unit 02 are all commonly used cards that can hard counter the play.  Now that Sacullas is double purity, you wouldn't even be able to cheese out a win with him.  High cost, high risk, high reward: in other words, a well designed Epic rarity card.

Now?  Well, it's still 14 cost, so remains very difficult for the Sleepers to play.  It's going to be late game by definition, with no ways to cheat it out early like you can with so many high cost characters.  So now, instead of getting a huge tempo swing for your investment, you get control over a random handful of leftover characters, don't clear what is a likely losing board position, AND open yourself up to a probable morale loss because all those lovely characters you now control all hurt your zombie overlords' feelings when they die.

So, a side by side comparison to a similar card: Avarrach Has Risen

Cost 14 (investment of 50: 9*4 to raise, +14 to play) vs. Cost 12 (investment of 30)
Gives opponent's leftover cards in deck vs. gives all cards that have ever died on both sides

So my verdict: the Virus a card that didn't need a nerf in the first place, yet has been nerfed completely out of playability.  And I wrote a surprisingly large amount about a single card change.

Offline aldin

• View Profile
Re: Virus of Avarrach
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »
I mostly agree - not sure I'd go quite as far as unplayable, but the degree of difficulty is way up.  A combination of Wealthy Nobles, Feast on the Dead and Hehkeem, the Corrupted could set up a late game surprise resource boost.  And against any deck that relies on characters it's a game ender.  No way to make it consistent though, I don't think.  And hard to stretch games out long enough to employ it.
He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

wham

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
I made a deck specifically to play the virus of avarrach. It uses four BLBP and three wealthy nobles, and attempts to slow the enemy down through boomy, winds of war, kyrallic, fear, and some undead creatures.

I consider it a well made deck.

It wins about 1/6 of the time
I manage to play virus about 1/4 of the time
I have nearly always died on the turn that I play virus, I can only played it in a game versus sleepers (with a lucky kyrallic draw) and a game versus master of demons/exiles.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 01:03:23 PM by wham »

Offline Logadd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 03:08:09 PM »
There is second way to ramp into fast Virus which is Acolytes of Altar, since they have 1 purity. I played this http://infinite-network.com/deck/view/15943/virus-of-avarrach deck in normal some times, it do fairly well against creature based decks and in general have Virus by turn 8-10, although i won more games by morale. It is of course fairly worthless against 3 CoV and mill, since they have no creatures/don't care much about creatures. Funniest way to win i had was Virusing FD&Gi rush deck and killing my opponent from Saculas triple swing from all the pulled creatures.

I don't think Virus is made as highly competetive card same as Ultra Unit and i don't think previous version was any better, just different.

Offline kingmobmaskreplica

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 08:23:24 PM »
I mostly agree - not sure I'd go quite as far as unplayable, but the degree of difficulty is way up.  A combination of Wealthy Nobles, Feast on the Dead and Hehkeem, the Corrupted could set up a late game surprise resource boost.  And against any deck that relies on characters it's a game ender.  No way to make it consistent though, I don't think.  And hard to stretch games out long enough to employ it.

I made a deck like that previous to this post and it doesn't work. The reason it doesnt work though is its bugged. If you use Hekeem to raise the nobles from the graveyard they dont boost your resources. I sent in a bug report of course so will have to go back to check when/if they fix it. It was basically heekeem triple sleepers but more stall-y with virus as alt win.

Vertu Honagan

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 10:57:05 PM »

I made a deck like that previous to this post and it doesn't work. The reason it doesnt work though is its bugged. If you use Hekeem to raise the nobles from the graveyard they dont boost your resources. I sent in a bug report of course so will have to go back to check when/if they fix it. It was basically heekeem triple sleepers but more stall-y with virus as alt win.

I agree with Nobles being bugged, because when I succeeded in using Virus of Avarrach I got 3 Wealthy Nobles from my opponent. Instead of taking my resources from 14 -17 like it should have, I jumped to 20 total resources. o.o

Offline comradbrody

• Nothing to see here.
    • View Profile
    • Ultravioletgaming
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 06:01:15 PM »
When I play that card, people always would complain that it is so OP. I disagree, rather for every faction has cards deemed OP.

Its all how you look at it...and how much of a sore loser your opponent is.
Guys...I need more coffee.