Author Topic: Infinity Wars "Gold" Status  (Read 26459 times)

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Wars "Gold" Status
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »
Really not sure this is a good idea, but if you've got a plan then I assume you know what you're doing.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the announcement. I really hope you guys can keep up with the madness that going gold brings.

Do I think IW can afford to go gold? Sure, the game has immense potential and it's only being held back by the fact that it's an indie studio handling it (meaning less people, not lower quality. you guys rock :3~). Am I excited to see TotalBiscuit reviewing the game? Not at all x.x

Offline Woekie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 11:44:06 AM »
Howdy Rift Runners,

" more Puffing Puffy than you can Puff a Puffy with! "

~ Elphie "Agent" Coyle, Ian "Tygris" Underwood, “Teremus”, “Schumisaurus” & on behalf of the rest of the Lightmare Team.

Awesome line! And awesome news!
Loving the game, can't wait for more Puffy!

Offline CaptShenanigans

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 11:50:37 AM »
Congrats everyone! Loved your game since I first played it and that hasn't changed this past year. Best of luck on the release! I for one will be looking forward to all the future updates and challenges. Congrats again! :)

Offline Qfasa

• View Profile
    • русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 12:29:32 PM »
  • Server Hosting for matches
Can someone explain to me what does it mean? Please. I suppose this should be something important for us but I don't really understand the meaning of the sentence. At all. What it will do in terms of gameplay?
www.TCGO.ru – русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).

Offline Naudilent

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 01:13:35 PM »
I share the reservations of other players, especially as every patch brings a new set of bugs into the mix, but hell with it.  Leap from that precipice, o' Lightmare!  Either you'll make a beautiful imprint on the ground below, rise, and stagger on like a zombie abomination; or you'll ascend like an Overseer and become OP as puffy.  Good luck with that~

Offline Rethorian

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 01:21:04 PM »
Just read this argument in chat, and i'd like to share it:

What does Lightmare gain by releasing in 2 weeks?

If there's no heavy advertising push, all a release really does is open up the game to harsh and unfair reviews. New players have HUGE expectations from a 'Release' game, after so many people getting burned on Early Access games.

If there's no real advantage to releasing so soon, why do it? I only see downsides. You can market the game heavily without releasing it and opening up extreme expectations.

Offline AirborneScientist

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »
Things get released when:
- They are ready
- There is some external factor (e.g. releasing in time for something)
- There is an internal factor (usually the investor's money is running out)

Seeing as there is no evidence for the first 2 points I'm guessing they want to go gold so they can market the game (Temerus always uses the "we aren't marketing" line when Steam charts come up) to being in players to increase revenue.
Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing, they could use the money to hire somebody with some much needed experience and professionalism.

Saying that, without the "beta shield" memory leaks, card crashing bugs and sporadic community support become a lot less acceptable...

Offline Zahiri

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »
Howdy Rift Runners,

Our next major milestone of version 1.1 focuses on the following, and we're starting work on this project once we confirm all the major bugs are squashed:

• Tournaments
  • Sideboards
  • Best of 3 matches

We have a hopeful timeframe for these of within 6 months of going Gold, but we cannot make any promises on that just yet. Our priority will still be on ensuring a smooth major bug free experience ongoing. We simply wanted to give you a roadmap that these are the things we're starting work on as we speak.
~ Elphie "Agent" Coyle, Ian "Tygris" Underwood, “Teremus”, “Schumisaurus” & on behalf of the rest of the Lightmare Team.

All I have to say is FINALLY about fraking time and the best news I have heard since all the "stuff" has happened. Really damn good work and nice to hear some form of rough road map.  You hit all the major items that interested me and have caused doubt for myself. Thank you and keep up this type of communication with the community it means a lot. 

Offline Nefczi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 03:27:10 PM »
"I have bad feeling about this..."

And I dont understand why even release/go gold now if you dont plan to do proper advertising. Most hardcore/mid players interested in tcgs already tried the game. What this game needs is a strong casual audience. Say what you want but community is not healty atm. Maybe you have pretty decent numbers of ppl logging in every day but most of those ppl probably log in only for dayily rewards. Long queues(outside of rift runs in peak hours) and facing same opponennts over and ower and ower again are a proof for me.
There is really not that many active players. This game needs an influx of new players. And you can released the game only once... Its a VERY importand "event" for any game and often decides if game gonna make it, especially relatively small game like IW. It just feels like you are taking it too lightly.

But thats not the only problem. Is the game really ready for official release release? Cos im not so sure if it will  get such great reviews at current state. And its really not that easy to erease the stink that may stick to the game if its done to early.

Anyway, despite my concerns I wish you all the best and I hope you know what you are doing. I hope everything works out. That would be a shame if such great indy game went down in flames.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:29:06 PM by Nefczi »

Offline The_Fallen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 04:01:55 PM »
I agree with people here being sceptical about the gold release.
Remember in a open beta the game should have all the features. In the gold version it has to have all the features. Therefore IW is now an alpha, which labels itself as a beta. Let me be honest, for an alpha the game runs great, for a beta despite lacking the important features of a tcg (tournaments etc.) it runs decent. So in my conclusion releasing the game as gold will result in one thing: It will get smashed by all reviewers.

And it will be very hard to change a negative impression on websites or youtube videos which will be watched by millions.
Still waiting. Hope declining.

For bugfixing information: Proud Windows XP User

Offline RatKing

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2014, 04:05:30 PM »
Can someone explain to me what does it mean? Please. I suppose this should be something important for us but I don't really understand the meaning of the sentence. At all. What it will do in terms of gameplay?

If matches are hosted on the server rather than played peer-to-peer over clients, then people will be able to spectate matches being played. I assume this is what their intention is with "server hosting for matches," anyhow. Definitely a much-requested feature.

Offline -tHeGaMe-

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2014, 05:57:37 PM »

If matches are hosted on the server rather than played peer-to-peer over clients, then people will be able to spectate matches being played. I assume this is what their intention is with "server hosting for matches," anyhow. Definitely a much-requested feature.

and that should in theory kill the endless turn bug dead

Time to play -tHeGaMe-

Offline Qfasa

• View Profile
    • русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2014, 06:21:43 PM »
Oh, I see, thanks. I never thought about how this whole system works. Didn't even knew this is peer-to-peer.
www.TCGO.ru – русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).

Offline Mind

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2014, 06:38:54 PM »
I agree that going gold opens the game up to very critical response. Once you rack up enough negative reviews in steam people will not bother to download the game and it could take years to recover. There are gaps in this game from many perspectives, artistic (huge resource numbers in the corners really?), rules (major initiative changes to cards every other week) economy (cards change to the point they are not the same card). So many changes in a short time span tells me it's in alpha.... I personally see many of the people that have been playing and buying packs as not just players, but investors. Many are card collectors and typically they buy cards hoping they will increase or at least hold value. As of right now the cards get changed so often the value fluctuates insanely. I personally am a player first, but cannot deny that an economy exists. Any new players looking to join will look at that aspect as well.
"I don't always play TCG's, but when I do, I prefer Infinity Wars."

Offline flamerage

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »
But, What about improving and clearing up TRADING??!!

But thanks for your hard work, Lightmare, we are sorry for insulting you by writing some mean posts and rants about you, guys.