Author Topic: Grave Rob - and why I'm running 3x of them now  (Read 2014 times)

Offline aldin

• View Profile
Grave Rob - and why I'm running 3x of them now
« on: August 18, 2014, 05:43:22 PM »
So it took me a while, but I'm finally convinced.  Grave Rob is simply worth having in my deck.  How can it help?  Let me count the ways:

1) It can make Aletas go away permanently.  Not a big deal, usually.  Six turns is a long time.  Still, I think one of the reasons I often let Aletas sit in command without aggressively trying to zap them is because I know they're coming back anyway.

2) Tons of Sleeper hate.  As a Sleeper player, there may not be a card in the game I like seeing less than Grave Rob.  It yanks the teeth out of pretty much any triple sleep deck.  I started listing cards this kills and the list was so long I gave up and summarized.  Suffice to say, with 3x Grave Robs in your deck you have a much stronger deck versus Sleepers.

3) Infested Hybrid decks.  Every single one of them runs off the graveyard.  Hate Infested Knights or Infested Abominations?  Grave Rob rips out their teeth.

4) Orion tokens and Unending Drones.  Don't face 'em often.  When I do, some Grave Robbing can't hurt.

5) Xi, who honors the dead.  Five characters is five characters.  Much harder to spawn tokens when they have no fuel.

6) Oblivion.  Unless I'm playing Exiles, this is a card I never want to see played.  No Abilities in the graveyard means no Oblivion!  And I'll add Rita's Thrall here too.  It doesn't justify its own number yet, but with more sacrifice mechanics for Verore it's a good one to be able to make go away.

7) Precautionary Measures.  Grave rob is a -5/-5 to the value added by Precautionary Measures.  And that can make all the difference.

8) The big one - Recycle and Gather Thoughts.  Ultimately, the governing reason to include Grave Rob is the knowledge that your opponent otherwise has the ability to take anything in the grave and put in back in their deck.  Grave robbing is the one certain way to be sure you'll never see that card again.
He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
Re: Grave Rob - and why I'm running 3x of them now
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:53:37 PM »
Grave Rob: stealing so much more than corpses from your enemy
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline Conquest

• Out with the old,in with the new. Long live Solace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:33:05 PM »
This is pretty much spot on. I found it very disappointing when I found myself having to run grave robs in every deck due to the meta. Way back in Rise I would have never even thought of a reason to run this besides Sleepers and Xi (Mostly Xi). I dont exactly know if I like it having so many uses now that you almost have to run it in every deck.
THE VIRUS RISES ONCE MORE!

Offline TDa96

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:47:41 AM »
Grave rob is so OP! Nerf it -.-

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 10:23:12 AM »
Yep, that's what I've been telling people since Ascension's day 1. There are so many graveyard interactions, broken or not, that running x2 grave rob was becoming more legit with each passing day.
Just look at our current situation. Graverob completely ruins 80% of sleeper decks, dampers Oblivion's effectiveness, mitigates morale decks' ability to recycle cards, destroys mill decks, etc. Graverob MVP.

Offline chaosangel2112

• Fire for Effect!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 01:19:19 AM »
*Cough* I've been saying graveyard interactions are one of the most powerful abilities in TCGs since I started. The ability to crush those interactions makes, arguably, grave rob more powerful.  It will continue to see more and more play until it is a staple like cleanse the land used to be.

I'd also like to throw a shout out to Zom-B-Gone.  I add it to every GI deck ever now.  Sooooooo versatile.  Super fun is slapping an undead corruption on an infected monk and stealing his second life as well.

Offline xneosrevenge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 03:51:15 PM »
These are really, really good points. I love that there is Graveyard play and there is a counterplay to it aswell. This reason, in my opinion, will make Graveyard a top spot in any sideboard.
"We adore chaos because we love to produce order." -M. C. Escher

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 11:43:04 PM »
While the situations OP has mentioned are definitely legitimate reasons, remember that these situations do not apply to every game and you shouldn't go for the overkill with 3 GRs.

More than once, I caused my own downfall by running 2 GRs against decks which don't rely on Grave interactions, because I would get 1 or 2 more dead draws, and we all know how deadly dead draws can be.

I still run 2 GRs, primarily because of the reasons OP has stated, but it is risky, and even more so with 3 of them.

Offline tropireno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 08:36:34 PM »
Yeah, I think the only decks that can get away with playing Grave Rob are ones that don't have trouble against Fame Dawn, which doesn't use the graveyard at all.  AoE spam and control decks can easily play Grave Rob because they can easily deal with those simple rush decks.
For other decks, it might be a dead draw at the worst of times.

It really doesn't belong in all decks.

Offline aldin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 02:45:07 PM »
While the situations OP has mentioned are definitely legitimate reasons, remember that these situations do not apply to every game

Fair enough and completely true.  The 3x uses a bit of hyperbole, and Grave Rob in a rush deck just doesn't make sense.  In a deck where you expect to be playing for 10+ turns I recommend at least 2 Grave Robs.  Three if the things your deck struggles with the most are things listed in the initial post.
He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Offline Mafia_Puppet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 02:40:30 AM »
Thank you, OP.

Offline Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 09:46:21 PM »
Grave Rob needs the UI change, make it either easier to scroll with clicking and/or give option to tick cards instead of them moving around all the time, gotta draw them out, have to restart if you wanna change a card - how many times I have been fiddlin' them graves for whole turn...in fact, the only times I've used extend turn was to have time to plunder

Offline 3Sleeper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 08:30:16 AM »
...yea Arch, i thought exactly the same