Author Topic: Rush cards  (Read 1176 times)

Offline TjMellows

• View Profile
Rush cards
« on: November 21, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »
So im a huge fanatic of DoD, but ever since my girlfriend broke up with me (and she hit very close to home) i cant concentrate enough to pull some major wins out of my arse. So i bought the Flame dawn deck and made a nice damage based deck because FD takes minimal concentration with the effects (mostly Scagbagullas). So i thought id post it and other people could post theirs and y'all could help point out flaws. (my first mistake was trading my emberstarter that i got in a blister)

My Deck:
http://infinite-network.com/deck/view/20375/damage

Offline stranger42

• Aspiring Polymath and Amateur Guide Maker
    • View Profile
Re: Rush cards
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »
Looks like you threw every Flame Dawn card you have into that deck lol...

Okay, first and foremost, I'd say cut down your deck to 40. Seriously, it makes the deck much more consistent with a small but powerful set of options, while a larger deck has more total options but also more chances of getting nothing at crucial moments.

Second, your command zone could use a little work. Sacullas works from hand, so he doesn't need to be in the command slot. However, Bromich is absolutely deserving of a commander slot, since he's best played as soon as possible to get the most out of his attack buff. Other good commander choices include Kali, Knight of the Flame Dawn, and Infected Purifier, although I can see Aberion's apprentice working too.

In general, for a rush deck, you want to emphasise cards with speed. That means charge and instant effects are good, slow cards are not. That's why I don't recommend cards like Flame Ram or Pyr, Fortress of the Flame Dawn, since it's a lot of effort or time to get the effect going.

I have some suggestions, but they'll have to wait as I'm tired now lol

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
I have a few pieces of advice.

Firstly, try to cut down your deck size, all the way down to 40 if possible. Maybe you were trying to include your sideboard, and I know that Infinite Network currently doesn't allow sideboard creation. Even then, you would have 52 cards in your main deck, which is unacceptable.

Start by reducing your number of Aspirants. I personally have only 8. Flame Ram is too expensive for practical use. I don't like Reckless Zealot, as it's bad in almost every situation other than as a finisher card. You don't need this many Gather Thoughts, 1 or none at all is enough. You can reduce the number of Ferocity/Heralds as they serve the same, rather limited purpose. And so on.

Use other characters instead of Fanatic/Torch Bearer as a Commander.

Firstly, Commander roles should optimally be reserved to characters without abilities like Charge, since being a Commander also enables them to attack/defend the turn they are played, and Fanatic being a Commander is kind of limiting your potential.

Secondly, many cards such as Bromich, Harbinger, Centurion or what stranger42 has said above are a lot more important than Fanatic/Torch Bearer, and thus you need those readily available in Command. This depends on your playstyle, of course.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:01:15 PM by CommunistMountain »

Offline TjMellows

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 03:37:07 PM »
Looks like you threw every Flame Dawn card you have into that deck lol...

Okay, first and foremost, I'd say cut down your deck to 40. Seriously, it makes the deck much more consistent with a small but powerful set of options, while a larger deck has more total options but also more chances of getting nothing at crucial moments.

Second, your command zone could use a little work. Sacullas works from hand, so he doesn't need to be in the command slot. However, Bromich is absolutely deserving of a commander slot, since he's best played as soon as possible to get the most out of his attack buff. Other good commander choices include Kali, Knight of the Flame Dawn, and Infected Purifier, although I can see Aberion's apprentice working too.

In general, for a rush deck, you want to emphasise cards with speed. That means charge and instant effects are good, slow cards are not. That's why I don't recommend cards like Flame Ram or Pyr, Fortress of the Flame Dawn, since it's a lot of effort or time to get the effect going.

I have some suggestions, but they'll have to wait as I'm tired now lol

So basically slow, support cards in command. and yeah i originally was gonna do a verore fd damage (torch bearer, dark blast) but i couldnt and took out the purple cards.

Offline TjMellows

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 03:38:54 PM »
I have a few pieces of advice.

Firstly, try to cut down your deck size, all the way down to 40 if possible. Maybe you were trying to include your sideboard, and I know that Infinite Network currently doesn't allow sideboard creation. Even then, you would have 52 cards in your main deck, which is unacceptable.

Start by reducing your number of Aspirants. I personally have only 8. Flame Ram is too expensive for practical use. I don't like Reckless Zealot, as it's bad in almost every situation other than as a finisher card. You don't need this many Gather Thoughts, 1 or none at all is enough. You can reduce the number of Ferocity/Heralds as they serve the same, rather limited purpose. And so on.

Use other characters instead of Fanatic/Torch Bearer as a Commander.

Firstly, Commander roles should optimally be reserved to characters without abilities like Charge, since being a Commander also enables them to attack/defend the turn they are played, and Fanatic being a Commander is kind of limiting your potential.

Secondly, many cards such as Bromich, Harbinger, Centurion or what stranger42 has said above are a lot more important than Fanatic/Torch Bearer, and thus you need those readily available in Command. This depends on your playstyle, of course.
I saw three fanatics in command once. turn six 48 damage

Offline MerliniX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »
The problem with Fanatics is they die to anything and they do not provide a stable board presence. You need to keep investing resources in them turn after turn to get damage in. This delays your overall development, but allows you to get in some strong early damage.

The issue with them is that ultimately the early damage they provide is generally not sufficient to justify the loss of tempo you get from using them. If, instead of turn 1 fanatic, turn 2 2 fanatics, turn 3 3 fanatics, you do something like turn 1 torch bearer, turn 2 fleeting footman, turn 3 kali (from command), you have done 25 damage instead of 48 (maximum potential damage if every attack hits the face). However, you have also put yourself in a much better position for turn 4 and 5 plays as you actually have creatures still on the board.

Also I mentioned it before but I feel it bears repeating - Fanatics die to basically anything, which makes their other draw backs much more pronounced. Heat waves become super super scary.

Offline Winsanity

• The Winsanity is overwhleming
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
I actually don't mind torchbearer in command. But only for 3 purity balls to the wall rush, and even it's like a 2 torch 1 bromich setup

Offline TjMellows

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 03:42:40 PM »
i put torch be cause of the mind game with fanatic. torch turn two 7 damage and the enemy wastes their first turn