Author Topic: Aberion's Banner  (Read 1779 times)

Offline JSlayerXero

• View Profile
Aberion's Banner
« on: August 02, 2014, 12:56:18 AM »
During this thread: http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=61967.0 I found that Aberion's Banner only gives +5/+5 when attacking and stops after the attack is over... Except it's worded until the end of the turn. I can understand that the attacker dies once the Banner wears off if it took far too much damage, but the banner might as well just be a +5 period if it's going to reset every turn. The only practical use I can think of to making it increase health is to shrug off infect. Again though, it's worded wrong.

Do you think they should change the wording to reflect the effect, change the effect to reflecting the wording, or do something completely different, since Aberion's thing is being invincible while attacking?
Despite preferring to go by Xero, it's not frequently the part of my name people latch on to. Oh well. I deal with it.

Offline Swiftwynd

• View Profile
Re: Aberion's Banner
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 04:34:17 AM »
Another fun wording inconsistency is Shrine to the Heavens.

It state directly that "you win the game" but it only really insures that the opponent loses all morale,without doing anything to prevent a tie.  It either needs to be reworded to morale loss or changed to fully restore the users health and morale by an insane amount to prevent the tie.

Offline Thechynd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 11:31:50 AM »
Agree that the description on Aberion's Banner is misleading and the +5 health winds up irrelevant 99% of the time. They should just not have it give health at all if that's how they want it to work. Also you can't really have Shrine to the Heavens prevent a tie completely unless you decide that in the case of both players achieving it on the same turn the winner depends on initiative.

Offline Abyss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:32:23 PM »
Aberion's Banner would also buff something with Unstoppable, which is likely the intended interaction for it giving + Health. After all, there's at least one Unstoppable character in faction.

Offline Nehkrimah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:09:18 AM »
the banner's health also works with multistrike to help keep it alive for the additional attacks

Offline JSlayerXero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 02:32:48 AM »
Except, unless they changed it, it's pointed out in the thread I linked to that it only works for the attack, and not like Bloodthrist. After the attack is over, that character loses the +5 Health on top of Toughness. This means that the health is only useful if stop something from being infected when it dies. So if my 1 HP character gets +5 and rams into a guy with 1 attack, he dies after the attack ends because my character has its health dropped down to 0. While I would've thought it would be useful for Unstoppable and Multistrike, unless changed at some point, both of you understood how it works incorrectly, as did I. I don't own the card, I can only go off of what I was told. If you guys know it works like that, I'll freely admit I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Despite preferring to go by Xero, it's not frequently the part of my name people latch on to. Oh well. I deal with it.

Offline Abyss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
Ah, so you're saying it stops work after the first attack resolves, rather than after 'the attack step' or whatever it's called. And then presumably reactivating for additional attacks, but wouldn't be enough to save the character.

Truth is, I haven't tried it, but now I want to give it a go.

Offline DrayGon777

• Friendly Neighborhood Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 04:59:57 AM »
I might be wrong. It may buff up multiple times. I can't say I've tried it personally. It's something worth checking out. It was just my understanding that it went away after the attack, but it's been a while since I used the card.
Just so you guys know, if you're ever vs WWK, just start putting out random numbers and mathematical symbols, he will surrender.

Offline Nehkrimah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 12:36:42 PM »
Just given it a test, the buff applies once, and lasts until the end of the attack phase.

It does work with Multistrike and Unstoppable to help keep the creature alive until end of attack phase.

Offline JSlayerXero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 12:52:53 PM »
*insert I have no idea what I was talking about* Well then... A shame there's still not too many uses for it that I can think of though. I mean, yes, it's useful with multistrike and unstoppable, but unless it does work like temporary hit points, then the character will die from going beyond its regular HP toughness once the attack phase ends. So, deflecting Infect and killing slightly more characters before dying... *shrugs*

Offline stardustdragon258

• I am a dragon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 12:09:59 AM »
 I like bromic's banner more, it is more flame-dawn-like giving everything in the assault zone +2/+0.
Aberions banner's effect is actually really weird on a flame dawn card...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:13:15 AM by stardustdragon258 »

Why are they trying to kill me! I can't help that I burn't down the castle, it's allergy season!

Offline Deadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 01:56:29 AM »
I like bromic's banner more, it is more flame-dawn-like giving everything in the assault zone +2/+0.
Aberions banner's effect is actually really weird on a flame dawn card...
Yeah, attacking alone isn't really very flame dawn-ey. More of a Warpath thing.