Author Topic: Sacullas and weird priority  (Read 945 times)

Offline JSlayerXero

• View Profile
Sacullas and weird priority
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:45:47 PM »
Buckle your pants, it's another Sacullas thread. I have Lanstead, and Sacullas, and War Machine, and I'm pretty sure some of you know where this is going.

People are always complaining to make Sacullas active during the regular effect priority... Why? Because they find super-priority cheap. That's a whole other discussion. However, consider this: playing Lanstead on my opponent's priority means only a psychic can stop me from using Lanstead next turn. Granted, Deflect grants Untouchable, and Controlled Temporal Anomaly can remove the target entirely, but if I've managed to make more than one decoy? Well, now it's guessing which one is gonna kill you. In this scenario, only Wheezer, Demon of Smog would shut this down with guaranteed success. If Sacullas resolved during abilities, then my priority would stop anything short of Clairvoyance from stopping me, as my opponent cannot target Sacullas to stop him from dealing 30+ damage from a broken-down Bad-Bot or War Machine during my turn. This leads to a scenario where there is grave, unavoidable damage to be thrown at my opponent.

You're probably wondering why you should care, since Sacullas can already pull stuff like this off. Except he cannot do this exact scenario, because he resolves too early. Since he resolves as early as he does, you would have to play him AFTER breaking down your robot via Lanstead. This gives Desolation, Heat Wave, Yuanshi's Wrath and any other mass-damage cards that hit Support to actually have a chance that stopping him. If you can add Overwhelming Dead? MORE DAMAGE!

I'm not saying he's perfect the way he is now. What I'm saying is that this is the kinda of scenario I would be rolling around giggling about maniacally if they changed him to resolve during the effects phase. Even more so since I already own all the cards required to pull this off. This can also be combined with Xi, her Ascendedness, Void Split, Immortal Traveller, all other token generators, etc.
Despite preferring to go by Xero, it's not frequently the part of my name people latch on to. Oh well. I deal with it.

Offline Hovermask

• View Profile
Re: Sacullas and weird priority
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:45:27 AM »
It makes sense that his ability resolves before tokens are generated since it allows counter-play. He would be broken otherwise...

Offline Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »
Even like this it's still very hard and specific to deal with it. Lanstead on your initiative, drop and dismantle a bot on his and finish with the Hammer next turn. There is exactly one turn for location removal to avoid the damage.

Shouldn't that be enough pain, you greedy mother :P ;D

Offline Swiftwynd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 12:39:10 PM »
My solution to the "Sacullas is weird and breaks the game" problem is simple:

Give him Charge, change his passive to "The first time Sacullas damages the opponent's fortress each turn, ... " rather than "when comes into play."

This fundamentally changes Sacullas to allow the opponent the chance at preventing his damage, and makes the user of Sacullas actually have to earn the damage he delivers, and gives a good Sacullas player the opportunity to hit with him multiple times without.

In one sense is it a nerf, as his damage would no longer be nearly fail-safe, but on the other hand he would also deal his own 8 combat damage and could potentially trigger his passive multiple turns in a row if you consistently land his attacks on the base, making him a highly desirable combat unit that needs to be protected and needs assistance to get through the defensive line.

It makes it highly useful to then attempt to protect Sacullas and all your other characters, rather than the current method cheesing out some free, unavoidable damage at a ludicrously undercosted 4 cost then CTA bouncing or Awaken reviving him ad nauseum.

This gives you 4 cards that work off of similar mechanics, but each with their different uses:

Sacullas, the Final Hammer who will, if he lands a blow on the fortress, contribute 8 damage (his base) plus 2 additional damage for all units you control, himself included.  This makes him a powerful finisher, contributing more damage than the other 4-cost options if you have several units in support, defense, or command, and the Charge would make him harder to anticipate.

Bromich, Field Commander who gives every other attacking unit +2 offense while also sporting a solid 10/10 body, is better for having a line of attackers who will want to "trade up" when attacking a big defender, but he's not going to contribute anything based on units in other zones.

Flame Dawn Centurion who gains +2/0 for each other card in the same zone as him and is 1 cost cheaper than the others, but much more fragile at 5 Health, would make a better target to lead an assault line with due to his high up-trade potential against a strong defender, and he is useful in Defense zone as well unlike the other two.

Flame Ram would be the superior play to Sacullas if very few units are on the board, as it would contribute 15 damage compared to Sacullas needing himself and 3 other units to beat the Ram, but it also has the Artifical tag which makes it highly splashable with GI to produce some heavy enhancements.

Compared to those other three cards in his CURRENT state, Sacullas is just plain and simply undercosted, but my proposed change makes him far more competitive with the above listed cards and makes him work well alongside them without pushing them out of viability.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:50:32 PM by Swiftwynd »