Author Topic: What does Infinity Wars mean to you?  (Read 7971 times)

Offline Elphie "Agent" Coyle

• Creator
  • Administrator
  • This ain't your grandpa's card game...
    • View Profile
What does Infinity Wars mean to you?
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:34:54 AM »
Hey Rift Runners,

Whilst I'm here I thought I'd also ask you all a question.

It came from seeing the incredible user "Symphony"'s post recently with this quote: "I also went through a quite sad break-up last year (and gdi, dating a class-mate is terrible, don't do it guys :/) and the all the fun I had with IW is part of what kept me going during this year's first semester, both at uni and life."

... And also from my casual gamer girlfriend wondering what good comes from playing IW as much as some of us do.

So I'm curious, to those from passing interest to full blown obsessively passionate, what does Infinity Wars mean to you and how,  if it has; helped or made your life better?

For me it was the chance to create for the world, my friends and my own enjoyment the next complete evolution of Classic TCG style game with all the crazy ideas I could cram into it like simultaneous turns, animated cards, swarmers,  the trading post and yes, some dude called Agent Coyle.

Keen to know your personal thoughts and will pass them onto my girl as I keep trading quality time with her to have her see the joy and awesome that is our beloved game.

To Infinity and Beyond!

Elphie "Agent" Coyle.   
Harbinger of Negasis.

Offline OrdoM

• View Profile
Re: What does Infinity Wars mean to you?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 07:42:31 AM »
While it has not held the magnitude of pathos at bay that it appears to for some, it has provided a useful way to occupy my mind during grim times, and a refreshing step away from the 'simpler is necessarily better' mindset of most major companies. Iwars is not an easy game to learn. Parts are confusing. You will lose games because you don't consider certain interactions, and you will win some because you've outmaneuvered your opponent for that very reason. Consider a non-forum/stream goer who first runs into a bouncing Sacullas deck; it's a rude surprise, but rather than rage at the game, the game manages to elicit a sense of "Okay you puffy'd puffypuffy, I'm going to tear off your nostrils and make a flute out of them WITH YOUR OWN DECK", and subsequently the weaknesses of higher burden of knowledge fade away, because the ability to learn mechanics, build them into one's own game experience, and turn them upon others in glorious retributive fire, by watching them in action is very high; even MTG doesn't always manage that.

IWars from a design sense is a refreshing expression of competence and long term thought, which I have a high appreciation for. It has bred, as I think we have all seen over the past week in particular, a very strong and passionate community, that is able to communicate in terms other than "NERF NOW" or "LIGHTMARE SUX GUISE" but still convey... displeasure, in a constructive manner that leads to solutions.

Now if only politics could be like this!

Vertu Honagan

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 07:53:14 AM »
I guess mine would be an interest in this game. I absolutely love the artwork, the gameplay, and the designs of the factions. So far all the factions have had their little quirks that make them stand apart from the others and I really enjoy the diversity that we are able to create within this game! Too many times have games failed for me in the past because of opponents always playing the same decks over and over. Making the game get really stale and boring to play. This game doesn't have that problem and it's a big reason why I keep coming back every day. I love playing the game and I've met some really great people on here. This is by far my favorite card game I've ever played.

Offline Palaxar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:05:56 AM »
To me, I love the game. Back when I attempted to get into MtG, I had very little income(still have little income) so I couldn't buy very many cards, and when I did, I didn't really have much people to play with. I wasn't the type to go out to card shops and the like to find people to play with(I'm an introvert like that). Anybody I was going to play with would be people that I already knew. The only people I knew that played MtG were the following.

My sister's fiancé(or is it fianceé? I know one is for male and the other's for female but I can never remember which, but now its her ex fiancé) that I tried to avoid like the plague because he was a manipulative asshole that would always try to mooch money off me when we went card shopping and tried to get me to trade away cards when I didn't want to, and when I asked him for $1 because I was short for a starter deck that I wanted to buy, he'd be like "sure, if you give me this rare that comes in the starter deck." because he wanted a full playset of it. and I'm like "...I just lent you like a total of $5 yesterday and didn't get/expect puffy in return". Overall, I had a sour experience with him and I was very salty around him.

The second person that I could play with was my sister, which in order to play with her, I'd have to go over to her apartment when I would have to deal with douchebag extraordinaire that I mentioned above. The only other people I could've played with were his younger brothers, which again, would have to deal with him.

To me, Infinity Wars fixes is a TCG that I can enjoy that fixes most if not all of my previous problems with MtG. I can play it completely free-to-play which solves my low-income issues but will probably end up spending money on the game where I can to support it. It solves the fact that I can find people to play with, without having to go out of my way to do so since its so easy to find people to play with, whether it is from chat, visiting a stream, or even just getting matched against them in a queue. It also allows me to be pickier about who I wanna socialize with, since I can still play with them without having to actually socialize with them. If They're on my ignore list and I get matched with them, I don't have to deal with any of their puffy since the game takes care of any interactivity I would HAVE to do with them when playing with them.

...Perhaps not the most heartfelt story, but thats what it means to me. Its a TCG that I can sink my teeth into and gets rid of many of the problems I ran into with MtG. :P
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:58:48 AM by Palaxar »
________
     |___|   
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Got thesis!

Offline Palaxar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:03:02 AM »
Oh yeah, and I've LITERALLY spent hours on a stream that I follow about how much I love the game, different elements of strategy the game has(bluffing, priority, commanders, etc.), and going on talking about the various decks that I've built/use.
________
     |___|   
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Got thesis!

Offline mynci

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »
Well I was off work sick and stuck at home from January to June and IW was my way to get "outside" and talk to people and have fun whilst stuck in bed, thanks guys :)

A big shout out to the streamers how saved me from jeremy kyle and other day time tv tosh.

Offline The_Fallen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 10:30:40 AM »
After carte has closed his servers, I was searching for another tcg. All others were either in a desolate state or didn't meet my exspectation of deep gameplay. To be honest, IW has, because of the simultanious gameplay, a higher amount of luck involved, but until hex releases all my tcg time will be reserved for IW.
Still waiting. Hope declining.

For bugfixing information: Proud Windows XP User

Offline WWKnight

• View Profile
    • dTCG Sanctum - One stop for all your IW needs!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »
IW used to be the reason I lived.  Even though I didnt play. I was verging homlessness, battling depression and suicide.  And the people from Lightmare, the friends from Lightmare, the amazing QA team, the fun friendly general chat community, these forums themselves...  They all saved me.

Now...?  Now I just cant bear any of it >.>
I'm a pretty big deal around here.

Feel privileged.

Offline Scellerato

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 12:15:57 PM »
Infinity Wars is a TCG with a massive amount of potential behind it. Sure, there's plenty of online TCG's these days, but said TCG's either don't really break the mold of a TCG, or they simply tack on weird features to give them the guise of being different and unique. I play Infinity Wars because I certainly see the potentially that it could grow huge and I want to personally witness this growth. I have a plethora of friends who enjoy TCG's, so the day of a full release for Infinity Wars is a very exciting prospect for me, as I'll finally be able to start herding in said friends to duel alongside me in it.

As of currently, I play it when I have time, work is long, eats up most of my free time, but that free time is usually spent in a few matches of Infinity Wars. Granted, I'm not on the verge of suicide or anything, mostly just stressed out from work. Infinity Wars is a very capable method of relaxation after anyone's long day. Albeit currently the game lacks a competitive nature, as a good majority of the cards don't really work as intended just yet, there's still some work to be done, but that's why it's called a Beta.

I'm a huge fan of TCG's, Infinity Wars is simply the best Online TCG available, it's just a shame people can't see past Infinity Wars flaws to realize this.

Offline Swiftwynd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 12:55:22 PM »
For me, I.W. is a fantastically tactical experience that really stretches my ability to think through a situation and try to come up with a novel, unexpected play to counter my opponent, while being awed by the brilliantly clever moves they make against me as well!

I've tried to get into other TCGs, but most others either seem far too shallow in their features or tactical execution (e.g. Hearthstone) or they have so many years upon years of "baggage," such as a heavily experienced player base and over 30 years of cards (MTGO) that I feel like I'm really too late to jump in.

So for me, if I.W. wasn't a thing, I wouldn't be playing TCGs, and that would be a sad state of affairs.

I truly think that I.W. has the potential to simply be the best TCG available at this time once everything is ironed out, and I'm not saying that as a "fan" but rather as a harsh critique.  Simultaneous turns are simply revolutionary, and the fact that it doesn't "try" to be a traditional card game translated to an online format but rather embraces all the true benefits of an online format while shucking off the issues associated with the physical card format.

This is why certain issues irk me so, as they detract from some of the awesome portions of the game's tactics, e.g. my criticisms of the multitude of "unavoidable / assured" damage methods and on-play effects that do not adhere to normal Initiative / Ability turn procedure.  If all the bugs and (in my honest opinion) poorly designed aforementioned mechanics get adjusted, then I think I.W. will really take off when marketing starts in force :)

Offline vengefulmierothi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Infinity Wars is the game I never knew I was always looking for.

:)

Offline Noobshock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 01:09:27 PM »
IW is nothing short of the next best TCG  IF  it can manage to feel like a clean, polished (this means mostly bug free and with good UI including revamped deckbuilder, probably trade UI and higher detail battlefield) aka seriously marketable product.

That's a big IF, unfortunately. And there's always the possibility that someone else with more money to throw around on production takes those mechanics/concepts and beats you to the punch. Hence why it's important to get this in a marketable state and establish yourself with a much enlarged playerbase within reasonable time.
Greasy electronic music right down here:
http://tinyurl.com/nh7jrlg

Offline Elphie "Agent" Coyle

• Creator
  • Administrator
  • This ain't your grandpa's card game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »
That's brilliant Vengeful as that's pretty much how I label my girlfriend, she's the girl of my dreams I didn't realise I had. ;)

Thank you for all your heartening words guys, some are so moving I'm asking David aka Cannonfodder (our Producer who the QA team finally met at 2am yesterday) to ensure the dev and support team reads all your responses (and I'm sure some will chime in!).

Offline Symphony

• "...you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 02:07:22 PM »
Oh, I didn't really expect my post to be read, much less quoted by the team (specially Elphie himself). Thanks!

Well I believe I expressed all that IW means to me on that post and that quote pretty much sums it up. IW brought me so much joy during the time I hardly had strength to wake up and go study. It's a brilliant game that has the potential to be the single best tcg out there and it's safe to say everyone in this community wants the best for it.

And the community. Gdi, I jumped into a few random MMOs and seeing how freaking stupid and toxic people can be made me want to rush back to this awesome community we have. You guys are awesome :3~

Offline JSlayerXero

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 03:43:15 PM »
IW is a place to enjoy venting my creativity. It's part of why I used to play 1KBWC. Not going into why that fell through, but here it's like "Hey... What if I want to combine Ireul with Aberion's Banner and Swift Strikes? I don't own any of these, but that would be really cool if it works the way they appear to..." There's also my personal goal of making the best OoS deck that completely omits Lilariah that I possibly can. Granted, it hasn't had much testing against humans, one of the few times it did it actually used Lilariah and she wasn't super OP, and it currently splashes the SoA of allt he factions. One of these days I'm going to post it in the Deck Building forums to get some critique... What testing I've done against the AI seems promising though.
Despite preferring to go by Xero, it's not frequently the part of my name people latch on to. Oh well. I deal with it.