Author Topic: Dear Lightmare...  (Read 28465 times)

Offline ohaz

• View Profile
Dear Lightmare...
« on: July 21, 2014, 01:58:42 PM »
I (and I know that I am not alone with this) have been a little annoyed with how Infinity Wars is being handled lately.
I just think that LM sets the wrong priorities at the moment.
I get that new sets bring in money. I get that having a new set each 2-3 months brings in hype. I get that it brings in new players.
But don't you worry about your playerbase? Just take a look at http://steamcharts.com/app/257730#All . It's been falling all the time. If that isn't enough, take a look at the forums. There are tons of players selling their collections there. If that happens (with such a small playerbase) then there is something wrong.
When new sets got released, you can clearly see that the playerbase is falling constantly. I know, playerbases usually fall a few weeks after release, because some players just try it out and don't like it. But the playerbase falling constantly? That's something else.
Now, let me tell you what I'd focus on, instead of releasing new sets:
  • BUGFIXES. There are still bugs in the game that NEED to get fixed. Just a few examples, there are a lot more:
    + You STILL can't use 2x Bury in the same turn on the same type of character because your deck gets shuffled every time you use it and you probably use it twice on the same card.
    + There are still tons of bugs connected to reconnecting. Duplicating cards, being able to enrage multiple times, and so on
    + Draft still does this:
    This has happened since draft has been released. That's more than 6 months ago now.
    + There still are tons of desyncs. For example I regularly get a desync when I use hungry abomination.
  • TRADE. We STILL don't have a search, it still takes ages to get through your collection to get the correct card.
  • The new Deck Builder that you've been talking about for ages. Why is it not released yet? We had mixed purity cards since Infestation now, though we still can't use it as a commander. WHY?
  • Level 50+ rewards. Where the heck are they? They've been requested for ages.
  • Weekly draft rewards. Where the heck are they? You've promised us weekly draft rewards more than 6 months ago.
  • Better Patch Notes. Sometimes we get patch notes hours after the patch, sometimes we don't get patch notes at all. Why? Is it so hard to write down what you've changed? Also, if we get patch notes, often they don't even contain numbers. We don't want patch notes that say "This card was too strong so we nerfed it", we want patch notes that say "this card was too strong, so we set it from 12 health to 10 health"
  • Game starting sound. LM pls. We've requested that one a thousand times. You've always said that it's more work than we think. Sorry. IT IS NOT. We don't need a perfect sound yet, we just want a bad sound that plays once we've gotten into a game after having been in queue for minutes. I've googled and it's really just 2 lines. TWO Lines. a simple var sound1: AudioClip; audio.PlayOneShot(sound1); Sorry, but if that takes more than 1 hour to implement then either your code is really bad or you don't have good developers.
  • Normal draft rewards. Really? There is NO use in playing more than 9 wins if you're not sure that you'll get to 30? The steps are 5, 9, 30 wins. That's bad. Really bad. 5 wins entry fee back, 9 wins guaranteed rare, 14 wins 2 rares, 20 wins guaranteed epic. Why not? 9 to 30 is just a gap that's not worth it. At all.
  • UI Glitches. There are tons of them. Why does the global chat window still bug when I go ingame? I have to press the button 10 times till I have it not look like this: .
    Why do I still get stacking "leave game" popups when the enemy doesn't connect? The only way out is the task manager. That's not acceptable.
  • Game Balance. It's pretty good in some parts, but in some parts it's still really bad. You have 8 factions in your game of which at least 2 just don't work. I won't name any (*cough*Exiles*cough*). On that topic: I know that you have a great QA team that has suggested ways to fix the exiles multiple times.
  • The app you've promised us. It has been released for a short time, now it's dead again. Where is it? A mobile version is vital for card games right now.
  • Sideboards. We NEED them. No need to say more about it.
  • Spectator Mode. A game like this needs one. Novablue wanted to start doing tournaments, but he can't stream them. That's just boring and bad.
  • A working API. I wanted to create third party tools for a while now, and I know that third party tools would help out this game a lot too. But I can't. Because there is no good and working API. From developer to developer: The earlier you start with a good API, the better. Adding one later is always tons of work and you won't like it

I know that you have a roadmap, but I don't feel like anything on this roadmap is taken care of. It feels like the roadmap just exists for us to shut up.

Please. Please accept that new sets are not what this game needs right now. Accept that a good working game with a bit less content is way better than a game with tons of content that doesn't work. New content gets new players to join the game, but a good working game gets them to stay. And right now, I think that most players who leave don't leave because they don't like the game, they leave because they get frustrated by the constant problems it causes.
Please accept that releasing a new set every few months gets more bugs into the game than it solves.

This is not a random rant. I know that a lot of players in this community accept and support me. This is not a random rant, it's the concerns of a player who loves this game and doesn't want it to die.
Kind regards,
ohaz
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:19:56 PM by Teremus »

Offline xneosrevenge

• View Profile
Re: Dear Lightmare...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:03:04 PM »
+1. Well written and I agree to most all points.
"We adore chaos because we love to produce order." -M. C. Escher

Offline Qfasa

• View Profile
    • русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »
I really hope that most of these problems (or at least bugs) will be solved before the next set will be released. Otherwise I won't longer deny the fact that the developers put the new cards above all, and it's definitely not what I expected from them.
www.TCGO.ru – русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).

Offline Caberman

• Aka Lucratius
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »
What I don't understand for the most part is that simple bugs like i.e. the chat issue are insanely easy to fix. I am myself definetally not the most efficient developer but you really just have to understand the basics of coding to sort errors like these out. And don't bring the old "we are a small team"- argument, while that may be true, that is abolutely no excuse for these simple bugs existing, heck, it should rather affect the time they release new sets, which is just mindblowingly low as of this point.
"A cynical bastard"

Vengeful warrior or bust.

Offline Chaoticfool

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
This is all rather worrisome.

I started playing this game about a month ago. One of the best TCG's I've ever played. The game has problems, but that's fine so long as it's getting the support it needs. It's starting to sound like that's not the case. Even people passionate about IW, who have pored a lot of time and effort into supporting it, are starting to talk about quitting. The community is a large part of what makes this game so good. If that leaves, I can't see myself staying.

It would be reassuring to have the developers address these concerns. Right now we are only hearing one side of the conversation.

Offline Zahiri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »
Totally agree with this post 100%. Well done Ohaz.

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 03:40:04 PM »
Really well written post Ohaz +1 from me. Id like to point out to people that sets are on a schedule which are a little bit independent of things like bug fixes and feature implementations. For example if you delay making a set your artists are sitting around with nothing to do. However I do think that all the issues you've mentioned are on point Ohaz, features which would have made this game feel so much more functional have not really been put in for about 6 months. I would like to see that change and would be more than happy to skip another card set expansion to the game in favor of 4 or 5 features which by that time would have been 'intended' and desperately needed for a full year.
If its just a matter of Lightmare not having enough man power then perhaps they need to take steps to hire several more people and task them all to highly desired features and retask their card designers to almost exclusively bug fixes. However its one thing to backseat drive a company and its another thing to run a real life business so its up to them what they decide to do not me :)

I think one of the things that saddens me most is that, with Lightmares state of permanent "We cant do that just yet because we are too busy" it means that not only arent the major features getting done, there is an ENTIRE section of the forums called suggestions which is pack full of really creative fun ideas which will never ever ever ever see the light of day at this rate. So much creative cool things which generally is supposed to be the selling point of an indie beta game. Cute little things, like fortress's showing structural damage as your health drops lower, seem to have no chance of making it into the game if there isn't even time to the things you mentioned.
Goose got me loose!

Offline Gravecrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 03:40:41 PM »
+1 for this post. Izohaz is a passionate member of the community and a former QA member. The fact that someone like this is making this post makes me stand up and take notice. I agree with all of the statements made here and then some. There is some worrying things going on right now in Infinity Wars which I am not happy about either.

Thanks for the passionate message Izohaz, hopefully someone might read it :S

Offline ceces

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »
thanks for this ohazz +1 o/

Offline 3Sleeper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 03:45:32 PM »
ohaz your post is spot on,agree on all points.

Dear Lightmare, make no mistake here plz: people make post like this because they are fans of the game,because they care about the game and want it to succeed.

Offline Weak_Wolf

• In Vino Veritas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 03:50:06 PM »
Not the best approach but the man speaks the truth. I actually dont even play Draft anymore because of the glitching and the long wait time for cards to load... Not to mention the rewards are nonsense.

Offline Elder Trolls

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 03:52:17 PM »
I hate to admit it but ohaz is entirely right

Offline -tHeGaMe-

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 03:59:05 PM »
+1 to this. Dont have the time to read the whole thing right now but I agree with a lot that I skimmed through. Nice job

Time to play -tHeGaMe-

Offline Chaz8591

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 04:00:39 PM »
I know I'm not a huge named player, but I have poured a good bit of cash into this game. I agree, new sets are exciting, but these issues really need the most attention. Thanks for the post Ohaz.

Offline CyDrA

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
Personally I have typed so many posts only to cancel it as i have seen so many Polls/ Posts/ plea's falls on deaf ears. (Even our Active QA team cant get responses) The below content is not rage just very badly written :D, with lots and lots of concern :D

Loved the game so much it saddens me to see the current state of the game,  leaving me to wonder... why am I logging in to IW?
* Play Ranked : Wait 25 min IF I AM LUCKY FOR A GAME
* Play Unranked : Wait for 5-10 min
* Trade... oh wait that requires active players
* Rift Runs : After 20-30 wins I feel like cutting myself. Winning a deck of cards 4 rares, + 1 rare reward(NOT EVEN GOLD FOIL) is a waste of time. Playing the same players over again and stomping no border unranked new players in rifts is Q_Q (I concede after 9)
* Watch a stream : This seems to be the only joy in IW at the moment (The streaming community is the lifeblood of IW, thank you all for the effort put in to host tournaments and provide us with content to survive ghostserver mode)

Boss modes, crafting, sideboards and etc may eventually get here. Unfortunately most players will be gone by then.
Everyone is Selling!!! is it time to stop this infatuation?

Coyle in an interview mentioned the words Hardcore and advanced to describe IW, and differentiate it from Heartstone.
I hope LM holds true to this, as it stands the environment set to grow and nurture competitive play is none existent. (Had to start Dota 2 again just to feel alive)

Right now in my opinion we are not even playing IW as its intended, OR and Hybrids are being released that are not usable until deck builder fix. (Feel like i purchased a light that only comes on during the day)

Slow progress or No progress???
* Sideboards, spectator mode, matches of 3. Are critical factors, we want to use the cards you make!!! (Like Unfazed, Please let us?)

The amount of bugs left in the game is far from an iron out stage, each person has a bugs they know that's not fixed or reported.
With my current state of low Moral and lack of transparency from LM I have stopped reporting them :(. Forget making suggestions for new ideas I'm scared I may have a good idea that will take 2 years to implement!!!

The one thing I hope continues is a new set release every 3 months, I doubt the player base can survive a dry patch.

On a final note, my experience was great and enjoyable for the casual gamer in me but the game is still not at a point in which I can recommend to my friends for serious competitive play. IW is a great foundation, and will one day make a great game. Lets hope we are all still playing and able to enjoy it.

Oh yeah also, lets get on the HYPE TRAIN for Order..... destination Uncompetitiville!!!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:04:59 PM by CyDrA »