Author Topic: A Thought: Alternative Sleepers Background  (Read 1361 times)

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
A Thought: Alternative Sleepers Background
« on: July 13, 2014, 06:58:35 AM »
It's always stated that the Sleepers are mindless and instinctive, just like classic garden–variety zombies, but I thought, what if this is not actually the case? If so, the Sleeper's apparent mindlessness would be simply a façade, covering up the deep intelligence within. After all, Avarrach had the technological prowess to manufacture nanobots which utilise flesh for creating more of themselves, so why not intelligence?

One of the ways artificial intelligence could have been implemented in the Undead is to have multiple central servers (players IRL), and radio transmitters which are powerful enough to send signals across vast distances and past numerous obstacles, through the inter–dimensional rifts. If the entire world of Avarrach had been taken over by the Virus, powerful supercomputers all over the world (e.g. military defense systems) would have been also assimilated. They would then be used to process large amounts of information to develop strategies, and facilitate the Undead in their movements. The hordes themselves would also have the ability to receive these signals.

TL;DR The Undead hordes form the 'body' of the Virus, and supercomputers resident to Avarrach, the hive mind.

Offline Cthulhu Girl

• Will bite if provoked
    • View Profile
    • Infinite Network
Re: A Thought: Alternative Sleepers Background
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 04:19:37 PM »
While an individual zombie is mindless, the entirety of the Sleepers force is not. The Sleepers of Avarrach ARE hive minded together via the Sleeper Network (see Plaguebearer). This is why they are such a threat because they communicate to find life forces and attack en masse. The hive mind itself doesn't appear to "develop strategies" because the virus itself is not actually malicious. It was never intended to be a weapon or to hurt anyone. The Virus of Avarrach was originally a nanotechnology designed to make people immortal. It gained sentience due to unintended exposure to magic and decided that the best way to preserve a human body forever was to turn it into a machine. This of course killed the host, but the virus has no concept of alive and dead, just mortal and immortal. But a dead host cannot provide life energy to power the virus so it seeks out new hosts and transfers their life energy via the network to the other nanobots to continue to power them (then tries to make it's host immortal since that's its job, and you know how that goes). They are merely willing to injure new hosts in the process of providing power to keep the old hosts immortal and don't see themselves as "bad", which seems like a fair trade if immortality is your only goal.

TL;DR The Sleepers ARE hive minded, they just aren't intended to be malicious and thus don't "develop strategies".
Visit my YouTube channel for informative card and deck analysis videos, as well as highlights from my stream: https://www.youtube.com/user/CthulhuGirl00

Offline CommunistMountain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 05:56:53 AM »
While an individual zombie is mindless, the entirety of the Sleepers force is not. The Sleepers of Avarrach ARE hive minded together via the Sleeper Network (see Plaguebearer). This is why they are such a threat because they communicate to find life forces and attack en masse. The hive mind itself doesn't appear to "develop strategies" because the virus itself is not actually malicious. It was never intended to be a weapon or to hurt anyone. The Virus of Avarrach was originally a nanotechnology designed to make people immortal. It gained sentience due to unintended exposure to magic and decided that the best way to preserve a human body forever was to turn it into a machine. This of course killed the host, but the virus has no concept of alive and dead, just mortal and immortal. But a dead host cannot provide life energy to power the virus so it seeks out new hosts and transfers their life energy via the network to the other nanobots to continue to power them (then tries to make it's host immortal since that's its job, and you know how that goes). They are merely willing to injure new hosts in the process of providing power to keep the old hosts immortal and don't see themselves as "bad", which seems like a fair trade if immortality is your only goal.

TL;DR The Sleepers ARE hive minded, they just aren't intended to be malicious and thus don't "develop strategies".
Official source of information (for the immortality objective of the Virus and exposure to magic)? Or is this also just a thought?

And yes, the Sleeper Network as stated in Plaguebearer's Flavour Text was also a source of inspiration.

Offline Cthulhu Girl

• Will bite if provoked
    • View Profile
    • Infinite Network
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 06:40:03 AM »
Yeah, that's the official lore. I think maybe it was more clear in the old campaign? I've spent a lot of time talking with devs about lore because it's freaking awesome. When Teremus streams on the official channel he'll talk about it endlessly if you get him going.
Visit my YouTube channel for informative card and deck analysis videos, as well as highlights from my stream: https://www.youtube.com/user/CthulhuGirl00

Offline WWKnight

• View Profile
    • dTCG Sanctum - One stop for all your IW needs!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 12:31:17 PM »
Confirming Cthulugirls response
I'm a pretty big deal around here.

Feel privileged.