Author Topic: Can an Ascended character "un-ascend"?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline aldin

• View Profile
Can an Ascended character "un-ascend"?
« on: June 12, 2014, 01:23:53 PM »
I'm specifically thinking of Angel of Virtue (I think that's the name), but I suspect he won't be the only one like this.  I see he Ascends when there are 7 Angels, but is he still ascended if he HAD seven but now has five?  Also, when an Ascended card leaves the game and then returns, is it still ascended or does it unascend?
He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Offline Thechynd

• View Profile
Re: Can an Ascended character "un-ascend"?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »
Angel of virtue doesn't lose his ascended status when you go below 7 angels. A few quick tests show that a character will also keep its ascended status even if you remove it from the game with temporal anomaly, return it to your hand with intervention or kill it.

Offline aldin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »
Impressive.  Thanks for checking that out, Thechynd!  Makes Intervention a lot more interesting.
He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Offline Benionin

• Let's talk about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 06:25:34 PM »
It is interesting though, because the wording on Angel of Virtue made me think that it was state-based (not to mention that his buff ability goes on the stack, as it were), but it isn't. Which makes him better.
Resident LoreNinja, Tavern-Ninja
Gao Han or Gao Home!
Into the Fray, a novel of Infinity Wars
Weekly Storywriting Stream

Offline chaosangel2112

• Fire for Effect!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 10:14:02 PM »
This irritates me greatly.  If you bounce or raise a creature it gets reset.  Period.  Unless card text of some sort states otherwise.  Returning something to you hand is a new mechanic but I don't see why it shouldn't reset a creature as well.  If it's removed from play for whatever reason, cards should be hard reset.

wham

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 11:58:10 PM »
This irritates me greatly.  If you bounce or raise a creature it gets reset.  Period.  Unless card text of some sort states otherwise.  Returning something to you hand is a new mechanic but I don't see why it shouldn't reset a creature as well.  If it's removed from play for whatever reason, cards should be hard reset.

As people were discussing in the 'remove from the game inconsistent' thread, a bounce is a hard reset on stat buffs, but does not have any effect on things like poisoned, enraged (the reason why a Dropbear returns as 1/5 enraged) or other abilities/passive effects.

Offline Vyltyx

• We are Legion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »

As people were discussing in the 'remove from the game inconsistent' thread, a bounce is a hard reset on stat buffs, but does not have any effect on things like poisoned, enraged (the reason why a Dropbear returns as 1/5 enraged) or other abilities/passive effects.

In my opinion, this should change. Not only is a complete hard reset much easier to understand, but it also opens a greater depth of strategy (resetting enrage, saving a character from status effects, etc.)
All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come.

"NQQbz - It has it all!  Noobz, Boobz and QQ'ing.  I win the internet for today." — ChaosAngel

"You are probably going to end up quoting me in your sig.  Everyone else already has." — WWKnight

Offline jgsnowbaorder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 06:39:12 AM »
I'm with vyltyx here. hard resets should be done whenever something is removed from play, which would include if something is killed then revived.
Now, now, let's all calm down. No-one knows what they're talking about anyway ;)

Offline DrayGon777

• Friendly Neighborhood Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 11:07:44 AM »
As long as it doesn't break the cards that are supposed to maintain their self buffs through death (or potentially other remove from play effects), I'm for it. Then again, certain ones might be a little bit OP, for instance a Granthar that can be used to enrage again taking out another character on the battlefield.
Just so you guys know, if you're ever vs WWK, just start putting out random numbers and mathematical symbols, he will surrender.

Offline TimetoSplit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 03:23:04 AM »
As long as it doesn't break the cards that are supposed to maintain their self buffs through death (or potentially other remove from play effects), I'm for it. Then again, certain ones might be a little bit OP, for instance a Granthar that can be used to enrage again taking out another character on the battlefield.

It seems kind of potent with Granthar, but the cost is still quite high for the enrage, not to mention the "opportunity" cost for whatever you use to remove it from the game and return it again (such as 2 & a card with Anomaly, or 5 & a card with Kidnapper, etc.).  At any rate, I see no problem with this, as the combo seems fine.

Offline chaosangel2112

• Fire for Effect!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 03:53:00 AM »
Yeah granthar is potent but if you have the resources and foresight to pack intervention, kidnapper or TA then by all means spend turns six, seven and eigbt killing two.critters.