Author Topic: When is it ever worth it to pay 10 and increase your base resource by 1?  (Read 6132 times)

Offline MisterBurkes

• View Profile
The option in the trading post that increases your base resource by 1 for 10 resources seems like a very bad option at the moment....essentially you are skipping an entire turn late game. Opportunity costs: playing a 10 resource cost creature, activating skills/locations equivalent to 10 resource, or paying 10 resource to draw 2 cards.

Thoughts?

Offline pistonsfreak41

• View Profile
Re: When is it ever worth it to pay 10 and increase your base resource by 1?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:43:16 PM »
When know opponent has to setup for his turn and you are about to play Calamity next turn.

WWKnight

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 01:06:41 AM »
When playing Warpath and you want to get more resources faster.  (I have paid 10 by turn 5 before.)

Offline MisterBurkes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 02:49:24 AM »
I can see Warpath making use of this mechanic since they have several cards that cost over 10 resource; however, to balance this out I think every other faction should also have at least 1-2 cards that cost 11+ resource.

Offline griddark

• Infinity Wars Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 04:41:21 AM »
How would needing to spend 10 resources to get 1 extre the next round, because you have cards that cost 11+ to play balance anything, if anything it just makes decks similar not better, I'll stick to my less that 10 resource cards.

WWKnight

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:27:02 AM »
It also allows you to play more smaller costs cards a turn.

I do it most while playing control with verore.  I save up resources (as in, cards in hand) while expanding my resources (as in, mana) and just before I am about to be finished off, I drop the calamity.  They have over extended, I have far more options and I can do a lot more in a single turn than they can.

Offline Third

• I like YOBO!
    • View Profile
I find it is worth it turn 9, so you get 11 resource the next turn. But I still only find it viable if I can play something for 10+

Just looking at the numbers, the game would have to go on for 8+ more turns for that 1 resource to earn it self back.. After 8 turns it only equals out, so spending the mana didnt really do anything for you.

Offline Zinqf

• View Profile
Just looking at the numbers, the game would have to go on for 8+ more turns for that 1 resource to earn it self back.. After 8 turns it only equals out, so spending the mana didnt really do anything for you.
It's about burst casting rather than efficiency. The ability is always there and can always be activated as long as you have the resource.

1. When you plan on casting a card that costs more than 10 resources. Or a card that costs more than 10 resources plus any nobles/life on passing characters.

2. When you plan on casting multiple cards that exceed 10 resources together. Such as 2 Assassinates or Winds of War and Martyr Golem...

3. When setting up for a calamity as you'll generally not be spending the 9 resources the turn before playing calamity (Unless you needed more cards).

4. When a morale deck only waits for you to play characters that'll die to the 10+ removal cards in their hand...Build up resources to wipe out the rest of their HP in one turn. What are they going to do? Play characters and attack your health?

5. Calamity First....Call of the Crusade Second...in the same turn...when your opponent has initiative.

6. In epic mode, you'll actually get a return on your investment. Or at the very least increase your "already amazing burst casting potential".

7. If you believe your opponent is setting up calamity, you may want this when you have 9 resources. (2 cards might be better on the 10 resource turn).
How would needing to spend 10 resources to get 1 extre the next round, because you have cards that cost 11+ to play balance anything, if anything it just makes decks similar not better, I'll stick to my less that 10 resource cards.
That is a smart decision. This option is not for everyone, nor should it have to be either. But the option is always there and any player can use it....if they can afford it.
Fact - 42.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Offline Defertos

• View Profile
It certainly does have it's uses like Zinqf posted.

However it feels kinda "clumsy", it's a feature that is only used maybe once every 20+ or so games even though it is a baseline feature everyone has access to.

It could work better if it was a "supply bar" that fills if you have unspent resources when you end a turn.
The "supply bar" would start at 0 and every time it reaches 10 your max resources increase by 1 and the "supply bar" would return to 0.
Also it would give everyone a tactical option of choosing to fill the supply bar instead of using a spell or summoning a character, while retaining the exact same functions it has now.

For example: you have 6 resources, you summon one character with cost of 3 and because all of your other cards cost 4 or more you end your turn, and then your "supply bar" fills by 3.

Not to mention that then cards that affect a "supply bar" could be made like a "supply caravan" a 1 cost 0/2 character that increases your supply bar by 2 every turn it is on support zone and many others.

Offline Zinqf

• View Profile
However it feels kinda "clumsy", it's a feature that is only used maybe once every 20+ or so games even though it is a baseline feature everyone has access to.

It could work better if it was a "supply bar" that fills if you have unspent resources when you end a turn.
That sounds really good and pretty useful. The only issue is that I believe this system was created with an exclusive "This will work for me" or "That's a complete waste to me" type of decision.

I wouldn't mind at all if it filled up that way though. Maybe...12 unspent resources = 1 base resource? (Remember, its way easier to not spent 12 resources over time then to devote 9 resources on one turn)

Not to mention that then cards that affect a "supply bar" could be made like a "supply caravan" a 1 cost 0/2 character that increases your supply bar by 2 every turn it is on support zone and many others.
Then they could remove the drawback from wealthy noble and make it fill up the supply bar by 3 or something every turn instead of granting a resource at the cost of 5 morale when he dies or 4 morale when sacrificed.

Offline duds7317

• True art is what I seek, ignorance is all I find
    • View Profile
I completely support this supply bar idea along with the strategic advantages it adds both in play and possible cards. The biggest issue is determining how big it should be 12 certainly sounds about right but id love a chance to see how it tests out. Whenever i play warpath I end up wasting 2 resources more then once in a game because my pack leaders don't add up well with with the rest of the cards in my hand and it drives me nuts to just let them go to waste. but 12 seems a bit of a stretch goal if you don't have some kind of effect feeding directly into it.
Do you have the courage to be a perv?

Offline Tyonidas

• I intend to live forever – so far, so good.
    • View Profile
I use this function probably 1 out of every 3-4 games if they get to that point.   I thought the same thing before I started using it and I was new.  While there are a number of reasons each individual might use it all I know is that once players start using it regularly they usually can't believe they never did sooner.

Offline moominpeter

• View Profile
I use this function probably 1 out of every 3-4 games if they get to that point.   I thought the same thing before I started using it and I was new.  While there are a number of reasons each individual might use it all I know is that once players start using it regularly they usually can't believe they never did sooner.
This is my experience as well. I didn't use it for a long time after starting to play, then as I built more control-oriented decks and learned the game better I found that it is actually a really powerful option. I use it both when playing control and when playing against control pretty frequently.

When two aggro or midrange decks face each other the game is usually all but over by Turn 9, and you often can't spare a turn anyway if the game is not over. So if you're not finding it useful it could be that you're mostly playing aggro rather than control, or it could be that you don't yet know the game well enough to understand why it's good.

Offline Zinqf

• View Profile
This is my experience as well. I didn't use it for a long time after starting to play, then as I built more control-oriented decks and learned the game better I found that it is actually a really powerful option. I use it both when playing control and when playing against control pretty frequently.

When two aggro or midrange decks face each other the game is usually all but over by Turn 9, and you often can't spare a turn anyway if the game is not over. So if you're not finding it useful it could be that you're mostly playing aggro rather than control, or it could be that you don't yet know the game well enough to understand why it's good.
It's a positive thing if this function is good in some situations and bad in others.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:47:15 PM by Zinqf »

Offline Hitori

• #YoboSwag
    • View Profile
Let me just play Devil's advocate here for a moment:

Supply bar filling? Really?

Where's the whole 'using your resources properly is a tactical decision' idea? Where's the min/maxing that you must do to even be remotely considered decent at games such as this?
I feel this is too simple, too forgiving a system. This sort of thing can be used tactically, sure, but it is also a tool for anyone who forgot to spend his resources properly and will not really get punished for it.

When your deck composition is not good you may find yourself with nothing to play on turn 1, or maybe a 2 cost card at turn 3, and so on. You need to make sure the deck has a nice resource-curve, and you need to use those resources properly or essentially 'lose' them if you don't. May I remind you that all of the abilities in the 'Trading Post' in play are ALREADY giving you options to act with spare resources (or sometimes, not so much spare, rather your need to draw a card or boost your future resources)?

I feel this is a bad idea, and if I sound harsh believe me - I'm a total noob when it comes to IW, but this feels too noob-friendly to me. We already have good mechanics to deal with spare resources, let's not make it any easier than it should be (and please - let's not make it an automatic, thoughtless, process that rewards you in the long run for being bad in the short run).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:27:17 PM by Hitori »
I conceive that a great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by false estimates they have made of the value of things.