Author Topic: Single Card Discussion: call of the warpath  (Read 3141 times)

Offline mace

• View Profile
Single Card Discussion: call of the warpath
« on: April 03, 2013, 08:33:52 PM »
Need to be cheaper maybe search a creature with x or put x tokens into play or even search for 1 or 2 two beats and put them in the hand

Offline Victorii

• Victorii is sweetest when you’ve known defeat.
    • View Profile
Re: Single Card Discussion: call of the warpath
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:22:27 PM »
Need to be cheaper maybe search a creature with x or put x tokens into play or even search for 1 or 2 two beats and put them in the hand

Yep, card is useless as it is now.

Offline Zinqf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:34:28 AM »
Think they meant the card to be a gimmick rather than a competitive card.

Ya know, MTG and other card games have other "fun" cards that work like that too...most of them having absolutely ridiculous casting costs...

Fact - 42.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 04:44:17 AM »
Think they meant the card to be a gimmick rather than a competitive card.

Ya know, MTG and other card games have other "fun" cards that work like that too...most of them having absolutely ridiculous casting costs...

This is essentially correct. There will always be gimmicky cards, and once we begin releasing new cards they will be less obvious as more options rear their heads above surface.
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline grahaminator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 01:20:47 PM »
A gimmick card shouldn't have the current level of rarity as epic. Right now it would be unusable except for just fun decks where you might get enjoyment from just pulling off a combo rather than actually winning. You open yourself to losing on the next turn with an opponent's Calamity. IF your warpath characters got Haste it could be worth it.

I submitted a suggestion via the online form that the card should have its cost reduced and instead bring 2 characters into play from your deck. Structured like that it could be playable.

Offline Koey

• The one trapped in the Hamster ball.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 04:36:54 PM »
A gimmick card shouldn't have the current level of rarity as epic. Right now it would be unusable except for just fun decks where you might get enjoyment from just pulling off a combo rather than actually winning. You open yourself to losing on the next turn with an opponent's Calamity. IF your warpath characters got Haste it could be worth it.

I submitted a suggestion via the online form that the card should have its cost reduced and instead bring 2 characters into play from your deck. Structured like that it could be playable.

Or just make it place all the beast into attack.
Basically a risky trump card if you can pull it off :)

Offline Victorii

• Victorii is sweetest when you’ve known defeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 10:15:03 PM »
If you are able to play this card, you are either very close to death or all your beasts are already in your GY or hand. I suggest it puts all beasts from your deck into play and give all beats on your side Unstoppable. Like a massive final call with a flavor of Overrun (MTG) into it.

Offline Zinqf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:23:31 AM »
The card is pretty effective in epic mode and other special situations. A second problem with a card like this is that if any tweaks are made to it, it could go from "not very useful" to VERY overpowered with just a small tweak. For example, putting all your beasts into attack mode is an instant win. Paying 14 for a card that makes you instantly win is overpowered. Paying 14 for a card that makes you win if the opponent doesn't have double AoE or Calamity or Mass Death...isn't completely useless like people are saying.

The only thing making this card not competitive is that its' extremely high risk / extremely high reward. It's a concept that is not good in a competitive format because you need higher percentage, low risk cards for competition. High reward/Low Risk at this time would generally be low cost characters and damage/removal spells.

TLDR - It's a situational card. Cards should be allowed to be situational.

A gimmick card shouldn't have the current level of rarity as epic. Right now it would be unusable except for just fun decks where you might get enjoyment from just pulling off a combo rather than actually winning.
You have a higher chance of winning with a deck based around Call of the Warpath (Epic Card) then you do Shrine of Victory (Epic Card). They are just situational win conditions. Only reason you see shrine more is because zero risk / minimal reward is better than extremely high risk / extremely high reward =)

Speaking of Epic cards not being useful....lets list the epic cards...1-4 being not very viable, 5-7 being somewhat viable, 8+ being competitive-useful
Dark Wish (9/10)
Demon of Glottony (5/10)
Dragon of Wisdom (4/10)
Shrine of Victory (2/10)

The Calamity (10/10)
Aberrion, the Hammer of Dawn (4/10)
Dragon of Summer Flame (2/10)
Mega Unit 01 (3/10)
The Dragon Project (4/10)
Call the Warpath (2/10)
Hidden by Clouds (3/10)
Patient Zero (4/10)

As you can see, Epic cards are there mostly for the "fun factor" as they do ridiculously game changing things. The issue is that if a card was extremely powerful JUST BECAUSE IT WERE EPIC, then the power would solely lie with whoever had the epic cards. I like how they generally made the epic cards into game-changers but didn't make them all overpowered.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:27:59 AM by Zinqf »

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:42:31 AM »
Thank you for typing out an extremely accurate portrayal of the proper way to balance a DCG.

We're doing everything we can to avoid Pay to win, and newbie gating. By presenting mechanics that do not "solely" rely on rare cards to properly execute complex strategies in the game, we offer EVERYONE a fair chance to be competitive.

Of course they do still have to have a decent collection, and a solid working knowledge of strategies and the Bluff/Prediction tactics. Too many DCG's focus on the cards themselves creating the strategy.

YOU create the strategy and the execution, not the card. Of course we still have a lot of work to do with balancing, but I'm telling you right now cards like Call of the Warpath will be a part of this game if for nothing other than a "Wow" factor.

I make this game, James.

Offline Zinqf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
Thank you for typing out an extremely accurate portrayal of the proper way to balance a DCG.
None of this was suggested or implied, you guys had this design out of the box.

I was just echoing my view when playing the game.
We're doing everything we can to avoid Pay to win, and newbie gating. By presenting mechanics that do not "solely" rely on rare cards to properly execute complex strategies in the game, we offer EVERYONE a fair chance to be competitive.

Like this? lolz

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:10:12 PM »
Oh I know, I was literally thanking you because I do not have the knowledge personally to type something like that out, you did an amazing job with it.

In a much more entertaining fashion for the user, yeah. Haha.

I make this game, James.

Offline Flaekkeren

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 11:26:39 PM »
Good observation Zinqf! Makes a lot of sence :)

Of course they do still have to have a decent collection, and a solid working knowledge of strategies and the Bluff/Prediction tactics. Too many DCG's focus on the cards themselves creating the strategy.

YOU create the strategy and the execution, not the card. Of course we still have a lot of work to do with balancing, but I'm telling you right now cards like Call of the Warpath will be a part of this game if for nothing other than a "Wow" factor.
This makes me so happy :)

Offline daymost

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 12:18:04 AM »
If you are able to play this card, you are either very close to death or all your beasts are already in your GY or hand. I suggest it puts all beasts from your deck into play and give all beats on your side Unstoppable. Like a massive final call with a flavor of Overrun (MTG) into it.

I can see this card one day being useful. If flame dawn ever gets a card that makes all characters have haste and that’s not so unlikely and with Hakeem in your deck it can become an overrun. There is always Epic games too.
Pro drafting advice from Teremus: Don't Suck!