Author Topic: Future card ideas  (Read 56378 times)

Offline scoobyfred27

• View Profile
Re: Future card ideas
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 07:49:36 AM »
Just wait until RISE, you will find that a lot of awesome strategies are very viable (:
Quote from: Teremus
Puffy actually made Infinity Wars by himself.

Offline Kilroy512

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »
Had a few more ideas to go along with the discard deck:

[Mindrending Shade] COV, Purity 2, Cost 3, Power/Toughness 0/2: Mindrending Shade is unblockable. When Mindrending Shade attacks a player, that player discards a card. If they cannot they lose 2 moral.

[Empathic Night-Terror] COV, Purity 3, Cost 5, Power/Toughness 2/2: Flying; Pay 2 and exhaust this creature, this creature gains +X/+X where X is 5 minus the number of cards in your opponents hand. This creature deals damage to players in the form of moral.

[Oppressive Shade] COV, Purity 2, Cost 2, Power/Toughness 0/6: Vigilance; (possibly flying) This creature costs 1 more to play for each card in your opponents hand. When a creature deals damage to Oppressive Shade, return that creature to its owners hand at end of turn.

[Wailing Halls] COV, Purity 3, Cost 5, Field: When your opponent discards a card, they must discard another card. If that player cannot discard a card, they lose 2 moral. This effect can only activate once per turn. When a player fails to discard a card, that player loses 2  additional moral.

[Twisted Possessor] COV, Purity 1, Cost 1, Power/Toughness 0/2: While this creature is in the defensive zone, whenever your opponent draws a card, they lose 1 moral.

[Fog of the Veil] COV, Purity 1, Cost 4, Spell: Creatures on the field get -X/-0 where X if 5 minus the number of cards in your opponents hand. This spell does not effect shades.

Let me know what you guys think!
Quote from: WWKnight
You are probably going to end up quoting me in your sig.  Everyone else already has.

Offline Hitori

• #YoboSwag
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »
Mindrendering Shade - should not be unblockable, otherwise I find it a nice idea. Blocking is already not guaranteed in this game with the way you need to line up defenders properly.

Other than that I like your card ideas, but I wouldn't tie in Morale with Discard mechanics so much, I feel Discard mechanics are already very strong and there's no need to guarantee a reward for using characters/abilities that are attached to them.
I conceive that a great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by false estimates they have made of the value of things.

Offline Kilroy512

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »
The classic issue with discard decks is that once your opponent has no hand left then discarding cards becomes all but useless. Add tom this that discarding cards, while it does give you a tactical advantage, it does not bring you any closer to any particular win condition. There is a unique opportunity here with the addition of morale in the game to give discard decks the ability to work towards a win condition without adding cards like "Rack" and "Megrim" for magic references.

Do keep in mind though that I'm not saying that all discard decks need to be like this, but it's an interesting concept for one faction. Also keep in mind that, mostly based on my suggestions, a deck like this has very little in terms of board clearing options. This makes it a bit more reliant on being able to stall or damage morale in other ways besides wiping the board. In this case I tied it in with discarding which is the main focus of the deck in this case.

It is very important that discarding is not possible to be used before an opponent is able to play the cards they draw or discarding becomes op, however, because of this, most TCGs have discarding become either chump early game pings that are useless in the late game, or are strictly ignored altogether which is a shame considering how cool a concept it is. (when was the last time you saw a discard deck in a magic tournament?) The suggested archetype would allow the player to force his opponent to choose whether they want to play the card they draw, or sac it to protect their morale values. Now that I have said this I think that there should be a qualifier for morale damage from discards that makes it so damage from failure to discard only applies if no cards were discarded in the same turn. That would really make it so its a meaningful decision for the opponent to play what they draw and keep the aspect of a control deck throughout the game instead of just the first 3-4 turns (being generous) until their hand runs out.

In defense of the unblockable card. While I value your critique, I actually spent a good amount of time considering this and generally find that it would be a challenging card to keep on the field if it did not have unblockable. It has 0 attack making it incapable of damaging other creatures and only 2 health which makes it so any spot removal whatsoever from any faction can deal with it easily if it becomes an issue. The cards function would change very little if it was simply changed to flying, but I don't think it is necesary simply because of the disproportionate cost/effect ratio (3 cost/~2 morale damage and 2 hp) when compared with similar cards. If you made it only have flying, it would be inferior to other similar fliers in every way (even the Ariel Scientist from Genesis is better in every sense assuming it isn't actively causing your opponents to discard cards and since it is a turn 3 drop you cannot expect that to last long, if at all) across the board and the presence of plentiful spot removal already shoves it into a "marginally useful" box. I don't know though, if you have any more specific balancing points I'm plenty open to discussion, but it seems to actually be a little on the underpowered side unless used properly, which is kinda what I was aiming for. A tactical deck style like this is one that should require serious thought and judicious use in order to succeed.
You are probably going to end up quoting me in your sig.  Everyone else already has.

Offline Hitori

• #YoboSwag
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »
To me, the biggest issue with discard-decks is not their lack of viability once there's nothing to discard (all you need is one 4/4 creature to win a game slowly and keep drawing cards that remove your opponent's card from his hand). They do not need any added value.

Verore, which is the faction all these suggestions were made for, already has enough control without having to have an unblockable. That 3drop card can follow a mass death combined with a death ray for any leftovers, this already leaving an enemy with quite a few cards in hand (being able to out-think your enemy does not mean you need to have compensating tools for not playing well enough in the first place).

What I see as ideal combo with those cards you suggested, would be an early control-build of Verore as we already see it, combined with Calamity for the 10th+ turn. You get your turn 1-4 early easy control with Lightning/Ray/Mass, then you can drop discard cards on turns 5-9, and leave your enemy with no defenses after a Calamity.

I think Morale is already an issue when fighting heavy control decks, and should not be added to discard to such an extent (one or two cards that tie in can work, but it's not really needed the way I see it).

Unblockable discard mechanic should either be way more pricey (Resources/Morale) or if not, altered to not be unblockable. That's my view :)
I conceive that a great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by false estimates they have made of the value of things.

Offline Carnivor

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 09:22:31 PM »
Phalanx: all characters with phalanx get +0/+1

This would stack
They aren't "using" anything.  They had a knight, and it got infected.  This is what it looks like when that happens.

Offline Tyonidas

• I intend to live forever – so far, so good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 09:26:22 PM »
This sounds like an ability from a TCG (use that term loosely) that I played on Facebook called Confrontation.  Was basically just a deck building game...you make the deck and it gets played out for you...a true representative of P2W games.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:28:20 PM by Tyonidas »

Offline TimetoSplit

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2013, 09:30:36 PM »
I would love to see this card:

Cost 1 - Factionless
Look at an opponent's hand and choose a card from it.  If that card is in their hand at the end of the turn, put it on bottom of that players deck and he or she then draws a card.

It's pseudo-discard, Vendillion Clique style.

Offline Tyonidas

• I intend to live forever – so far, so good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2013, 09:32:36 PM »
I like the idea, but want more cost for that.  The reason being is not because you are possibly removing a card, its because you are getting to check out what is in your opponent's hand...thats a huge ability right there.

Offline Kilroy512

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 12:13:50 AM »

Cost 1 - Factionless
Look at an opponent's hand and choose a card from it.  If that card is in their hand at the end of the turn, put it on bottom of that players deck and he or she then draws a card.

That seems far too powerful to be a 1 drop. Increase the price to something like 4-6 and maybe fiddle with its effect depending on which direction you go.

Offline Koey

• The one trapped in the Hamster ball.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 04:42:18 AM »

Cost 1 - Factionless

Personally I say this gets confusing, as currently the only actions that are "not un-doable" are Trading Post actions. Adding specific cards would make it a bit confusing.
(ie. Use to look at opponent hand, undo and do your stuff)

Offline abzolutebox

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
INFECT for Slepeers " EPIC or LEGENDARY"

When creature is being infected if this creature dies appear a zombie 4/4 with infect in your control.

rlly want a Anget coyle for sleeper like this.

Agent Coyle, The Pandemoniun.

Cost 8

10/10

When Agent enters to the battlefield you infect a creature ingame(supp,assault,defense,commander zone), if agent dies and the creature infected still alive the parasite explode and agent revive in your support zone slowed. (you can infect everytime agent backs to the game).

Pay 4: Infect a creature in the battlefield.
Pay 6, Exhaust: Destroy all  creatures infected.

:D

Offline PianoHandsThePerson

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 06:34:34 PM »
Lubricate  - Discard X Unending Drones. Target artificial character is Untouchable for X turns, where X is the amount of Unending Drones discarded.
Cost of 8 or higher I'd say :)
Affinity 2 or 3
Disclaimer: I find I often offend people on accident, if you are a victim of this, my apologies!

Offline Githian

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2013, 02:24:35 PM »
I was working on a faction based on a society of scientists which seek perfection by experimenting and copying everything they see/experience; however, since you probably have already planned out most future factions, I'll just drop some cool concepts in this thread  :)

Mass Production
Rarity – Rare
Purity  ●●
Type – Ability
Cost – 5
Text – Shuffle into your deck 3 copies of target non-location card on the battlefield.

Mime
Rarity - Epic
Purity  ●●
Type – Ability
Cost - 8
Text – You get a copy of each ability played by an opponent during the previous turn.

I'll be back with more  :P

Offline Hitori

• #YoboSwag
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
^
Love those Githian, I think Mime should be the abilities the opponent uses THIS turn rather than the previous, much more mind game ( and could also make it cost 5-6 instead of 8 ).