Author Topic: Card rules vs card rules  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Vyr1s

• View Profile
Card rules vs card rules
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:01:57 PM »
How is precedence determined with conflicting card rules?

Paladin of the Flame Dawn vs Mass Death (Paladin survives)
Call of the Crusade vs Shrine of Victory (cards are moved temporarily)

Seems currently its a mix, scenario one the specific card ability outweighs the global, while is scenario two the global outweighs the specific card rules.

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
Re: Card rules vs card rules
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
Paladin and mass death is an intended effect. There is no conflict here. Mass Death targets everything on the battlefield and kills it, paladin cannot be killed by such effects.

Call of the Crusade and Shrine of Victory is also a matter of no conflict once I explain it. You cannot manually move the tokens. They can be forcibly moved however.
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline Vyr1s

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »
The wording probably needs to be updated on the Crusade then.
As we cannot assume a precedence.
Though I cannot think of a more elegant way of putting it atm. >.<

Viquel

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 11:07:57 PM »
interesting... shrine of victory can be used to force-exhaust characters prior to a mass death to get them into safe support anyways. working as intended too?

Offline Zinqf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 01:33:19 AM »
interesting... shrine of victory can be used to force-exhaust characters prior to a mass death to get them into safe support anyways. working as intended too?
You cannot manually move. They can be forcibly moved however.
Sounds like a legitimate tactic lol =)
Fact - 42.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

WWKnight

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:30:44 AM »
In my militant slaughter deck (Verore/FD) I have long been using "Exhaust" to bring my creatures back from a Mass Death so I can do so with minimal loss to my characters without announcing the turn before that its coming.

I believe its more tactical gameplay than unintended bug, even if it is indeed, an unintended bug :P

But you can bounce those tokens to players hand as well, so this has always been like this.  Perhaps a wording change is in order from "locked to the assault zone" to "it's controller cannot move them from the assault zone".

Offline Vyr1s

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:48:25 AM »
Yeah, I mean it is a cool tactic.

Just from a generalized design / rule standpoint. The scenarios conflict with each other.
Drills down to;
Specific singular deny is superseded by a global allow.
(a card may not be moved - exhaust/move all cards) [The latter overrides the prior]
Specific singular deny isn't superseded by a global allow.
(a card may not be destroyed - destroy all characters) [The prior overrides the latter]

To mitigate confusions as you cannot assume one method over the other, some cards just need to be a bit more specific.

Offline Koey

• The one trapped in the Hamster ball.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 01:03:38 AM »
So I am guessing currently its not the "combo" that people are upset with. But the wording of the cards.

I also agree re-wording the cards for a more proper approach would be nice. As currently there are a lot of cards that does the same thing but different wording or vice versa.