Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Generation FAQ and Information  (Read 22568 times)

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
Star Trek: The Next Generation FAQ and Information
« on: March 28, 2014, 06:25:06 AM »

I know a lot of people have been waiting for this information, thank you for being patient with us. The information got out a little sooner than we would have liked you to see it but hey, that's part of game development sometimes and we love that so many people voiced their passion and opinion.

http://www.infinitywarsgame.com/news/view/star_trek?geo=0

There's still some more information we need to finalize, more work that potentially needs to be done on the game and it's rules. But trust me when I say, we are here to create something cool that won't touch the regular Infinity Wars canon and storylines.

Star Trek is awesome, and I'm personally a huge fan of it. Infinity Wars is awesome and we love all of our players. We won't just be mashing the two together in a really inelegant fashion. We love you and we know you love our game, we will do everything to make sure this goes through smoothly.

Thanks for hanging in there, more info to come!
No seriously, I really like cheese.

Quote from: Poga
I make this game, James.

Offline PianoHandsThePerson

• View Profile
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation FAQ and Information
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 07:04:49 AM »
I read through the FAQ, and I see you mentioned there's still some discussion on how the players can acquire these cards. I'm guessing that is referencing if they can be earned via IP? I had thought earlier that this might pose a problem, however after reading this article I see that this may in fact be up for discussion currently. I realize either way, that this is a huge thing for Infinity Wars, and either way will be happy as it expands the player base. However, I still am curious if there are any details on this set being bought of IP rather than exclusively LP as this has been one of the staples of your play to win model.
Disclaimer: I find I often offend people on accident, if you are a victim of this, my apologies!

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 07:14:36 AM »
Given that the set can't be used in competition and the cards are designed based on our current power curve formulae, it can't alter the play to win model either direction. That is indeed up in the air at this time, but it's not all on us remember. Licensing is a lot of back and forth, things still need to be finalized.

I make this game, James.

Offline Cthulhu Girl

• Will bite if provoked
    • View Profile
    • Infinite Network
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 07:25:21 AM »
To boldly go where no one has gone before! ;D

Star Trek Hype! WHOOP! WHOOP!
Visit my YouTube channel for informative card and deck analysis videos, as well as highlights from my stream: https://www.youtube.com/user/CthulhuGirl00

Offline chaosangel2112

• Fire for Effect!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »

Well it had to be quipped/pun'd sooner or later and to be honest I'm suprised it took this long.  I'm just glad it was you
Cthu.

Offline Alcoran

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 02:49:49 PM »
Given that the set can't be used in competition and the cards are designed based on our current power curve formulae, it can't alter the play to win model either direction. That is indeed up in the air at this time, but it's not all on us remember. Licensing is a lot of back and forth, things still need to be finalized.

I do have one request regarding acquiring these sorts of cards - please make only regular "IW" cards available via Daily Login rewards.

I have gotten several excellent cards (Ao Shun and Hinekri!!) through Daily logins, and with many different non-canon IPs, it may "dilute" the reward pool for random logins - I would prefer to have canon cards be given only in daily rewards, so that free/new players can potentially snag a great card that helps them in ranked.

Offline Vyltyx

• We are Legion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »
I know there was a section where you touched upon the "why?" question, but it really didn't answer it in it's entirety. For instance:

Did you do this for the publicity? Marketing? A tie-over for players till Ascension?

Did Star Trek come to you, or did you contact them?

Have you been planning on this for a while, or did you seize an opportunity when it presented itself? Are you getting paid for this (by Star Trek) or vice-versa?

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come.

"NQQbz - It has it all!  Noobz, Boobz and QQ'ing.  I win the internet for today." — ChaosAngel

"You are probably going to end up quoting me in your sig.  Everyone else already has." — WWKnight

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
I know there was a section where you touched upon the "why?" question, but it really didn't answer it in it's entirety.

Unfortunately I think they did answer this question in its entirety  :-\ 
Here are a few quotes

"We won't sugar coat how nerdy and geeky we are at Lightmare. We love Star Trek in it's entirety"
"We're not just here to make an awesome card game, we're here to create a culture."

I wont sugar coat this either. Now that we have all the information and had some time to think about it I think alot of peoples fears about where this will lead are now confirmed. I think this is a bad idea. A really really bad idea, and im talking from a business perspective not out of some bias against Star Trek. A couple of promotion cards for lol's every now and then like omni is fine but I think that actively seeking to create a culture of nerdy, geeky star trek fans is going to damage the games rep very badly. Actively creating a nerd/geek CULTURE also actively alienates anyone that doesnt view them self as a nerd. Theres no way to get around that and a large share of IW's current player base (Im willing to bet a vast majority) are actually not Star Trek geeks.
The other reason I think its a bad decision is that I am highly skeptical that Star Trek cards or culture will bring ANY new players to the game. The internet already has plenty of dedicated Star Trek games and Star Trek fansites and roll playing sites etc, including a dedicated Star Trek CCG. Theres no 'gap in the market' to take advantage of here.

TLDR: I think Infinity Wars has its own great lore and atmosphere and is a great game and I think Lightmare should continue simply making an awesome card game and not spend a single $ or minute of their time TRYING to make a culture of Star Trek geeks (and the same goes for any other IP).

Having said that im just a humble beta tester and have no say in business decisions of the company. Just providing my unbiased opinion and feedback as is my duty as a beta tester :)
Goose got me loose!

Offline Cthulhu Girl

• Will bite if provoked
    • View Profile
    • Infinite Network
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 07:11:35 PM »

Well it had to be quipped/pun'd sooner or later and to be honest I'm suprised it took this long.  I'm just glad it was you
Cthu.

Always a pleasure ;D

I do have one request regarding acquiring these sorts of cards - please make only regular "IW" cards available via Daily Login rewards.

I have gotten several excellent cards (Ao Shun and Hinekri!!) through Daily logins, and with many different non-canon IPs, it may "dilute" the reward pool for random logins - I would prefer to have canon cards be given only in daily rewards, so that free/new players can potentially snag a great card that helps them in ranked.

Pretty sure that since these cards are just like the Omni set in legality in different modes (draft, ranked, etc.) that they will also be like them in not being available for daily rewards. But I agree with the notion.
Visit my YouTube channel for informative card and deck analysis videos, as well as highlights from my stream: https://www.youtube.com/user/CthulhuGirl00

Offline Teremus

• Really Cool Moose
  • Hide your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 07:32:31 PM »
I know there was a section where you touched upon the "why?" question, but it really didn't answer it in it's entirety. For instance:

Did you do this for the publicity? Marketing? A tie-over for players till Ascension?

Did Star Trek come to you, or did you contact them?

Have you been planning on this for a while, or did you seize an opportunity when it presented itself? Are you getting paid for this (by Star Trek) or vice-versa?

This isn't some kind of stunt, and we aren't going to make a stunt without being really honest. If anything, we're always honest about what we do and why we're doing it.

I know there was a section where you touched upon the "why?" question, but it really didn't answer it in it's entirety.

Unfortunately I think they did answer this question in its entirety  :-\ 
Here are a few quotes

"We won't sugar coat how nerdy and geeky we are at Lightmare. We love Star Trek in it's entirety"
"We're not just here to make an awesome card game, we're here to create a culture."

I wont sugar coat this either. Now that we have all the information and had some time to think about it I think alot of peoples fears about where this will lead are now confirmed. I think this is a bad idea. A really really bad idea.

You also misunderstand the premise. We're not creating a Star Trek Culture. We're not alienating anyone because we're not forcing it into their game and we're actively working on a way to prevent it so that if someone doesn't give one single puffy about these cards that they'll never have to see them a day in their Infinity Wars life. I thought we made that pretty clear.

Quote from: ST Article
Q: Will there be other card sets like this one? Other cultures or concepts?
A: We're not just here to make an awesome card game, we're here to create a culture. A culture of the things that make people fanboy/girl when they see a mention of them. There are so many options with how we've designed Infinity Wars, and there's no reason why we shouldn't seek the high ground. There's no reason why we shouldn't aspire to greater heights. Who's to say what the future holds?

Quote from: Something Steam users noticed in the Infinity Cast
Well, according to the Elphie in the last Infinity Cast

YouTube™ Video: Infinity Cast Ep.7 ft. Guest Dev Elphie Coyle
Views: 97
Hey folks Here it is the Seventh Episode of the Infinity Cast. With guest host Elphie Coyle who is the founder of Lightmare and the original Coyle.

there WILL BE an "unlimited mode" for all non-related to the lore sets and cards. This is exactly what I'm hoping for!

We're not shoving this on anyone, and we most certainly don't expect everyone to like it. Thanks for the feedback.

I make this game, James.

Offline Qfasa

• View Profile
    • русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 09:16:30 PM »
Adorabear, please have a look at this post in the "old" topic about ST set: http://lightmare.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=20454.msg53866#msg53866

Elphie explains this situation and how they want to implement this idea. Also wouldn't be bad to watch the whole podcast because there is more information about future of the game and how it will be develop.
www.TCGO.ru – русскоязычный сайт об Infinity Wars и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Infinity Wars and other digital TCGs).

Offline Shimrra3

• I am ... darkness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 02:56:41 AM »
Although as usual I will have to reserve final judgment for an actual release... I basically agree with Adorabear. (Surprise! Not.) This is highly likely to damage the game's rep. A lot of gamers - a lot of people actually - simply don't read between the lines. They will take in the main info - IW has a ST add-on - and react the same way I would with that limited info, which is to say badly.

Hypothetically, I would also abandon constructed completely. Playing with or against those cards would just seem wrong.

I even like ST and sci-fi in general.
Quote from: Teremus
YOU WANT BALANCE? I'LL MAKE EVERY CARD IN THE GAME VIZZERDRIX

"That was the worst driving of all time!"
"Because that wasn't driving! That was flying and burning!"

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 03:15:11 AM »
Adorabear, please have a look at this post in the "old" topic about ST set: http://lightmare.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=20454.msg53866#msg53866

Elphie explains this situation and how they want to implement this idea. Also wouldn't be bad to watch the whole podcast because there is more information about future of the game and how it will be develop.

I did read and listen to all that and I still support Lightmare and hope that it succeeds. I just feel that that starting down the path of franchise cross overs is a big risk with little reward and is unnecessary at this point in the game. But like I said im still supportive and still a tester so ill probably be balance testing these cards at some point in the near future.
Goose got me loose!

Offline epicab3l

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 05:04:41 AM »
Start Trek: Into Darkness.
Because we don't know how this will pan out. Only time will tell.

Offline LEGION346

• Translator
  • Don't make me miss that rush, take me to the crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 07:23:02 AM »
Star Trek Cards only for LP and everyone could be happy. It's my opinion. Also buying Star Trek Set need to be the ONLY way to earn that cards. Not Daily, Wins, Quests and other packs.