Author Topic: Riftrunner's Guide to the Galaxy  (Read 32575 times)

Offline Erlaya

• Lightmare Support
    • View Profile
Re: Riftrunner's Guide to the Galaxy
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 05:26:08 AM »
While I could comment on a lot of the faction choices you made.  I think I'll keep my comments to my favourite faction, Flame Dawn.

If your list is indeed based on after choosing commanders I think you've made a few mistakes.

Agent Coyle: If you end up two purity flame dawn you are looking at rushing your opponent down, this makes him one of the best Flame Dawn cards you can take in your deck due to his surprise nature (especially if hiding behind a few other cards to let him sneak in for 21 damage).  He can transform late game into a multi strike dragon.  Oh and if you have Aberion's banner don't even get me started :P

Bloodbath: I've never seen someone pull this off in draft successfully, and it's very difficult to pull off in constructed (due to the weak nature of Flame Dawn cards).  I would move this down one level under dragon of the summer flame.

Bromich: Part of what makes Flame Dawn really good is the ability to hit hard and fast,  while he is a Good card to have in your deck, he is the Best card to have as your commander.  He is for sure not the best card to have in your deck at the rare level.

Paladin of the Flame Dawn:  Why is this only Good?  This card is amazing against Verore, it's insane if you manage to get a buff onto it from GI or DoD.  On the rare level I would place this as one of the best cards to have from flame dawn in draft.  Does this make it the best card to take? No...but it's better than most rares (except Protector) as a part of your deck.

Mark 1 Brimstone Tank:  While this is a nice beefy character, I think that you get more out of Pyr (Constant pressure) and Aberion Banner (Bigger charge creatures).  I would probably move this down to the same level as those two for purposes of draft pick.

Purify: I don't think people have picked up on the potential of this in draft yet.  I've had two people concede to me after I removed vital parts of their game (Once I purified away all 3 of the deck secluded constructors, the other time I purified away 2 pack leaders).  I would put it on the border of the two but I almost think it needs to move into the best category

Call the crusade: This card can be a game changer if played at the right time.  Perfect card to avoid Mass Death with, great way to punch through for the win when your opponent thought he had the perfect amount of defenders.  I take 2+ of these quite often when I go for a rush deck using Flame Dawn and usually get 20+ wins with about 1/4 of those happening off call.

Note: These are all just opinions but this is based off multiple 20+ win streaks using Flame Dawn

Offline MzudemX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 12:26:05 PM »
I'm pretty new to the game, so excuse me if this is a silly question, but why is Explore listed as below average?  I considered it decent previously, because not only can it tutor your locale, but it's also a 4 cost draw 2, which is favorable to the Trading Post's 5 cost draw 1.  Although, granted, you have to wait a turn to use the draw cards, is that why it's considered below average, because it can be a dead draw when you really just need an immediate card?

Pretty much what Berabouman said. You dont have the guarantee to get an location in draft, so if you got an location its value is goes up siltly. Also there are not that much (good) locations you want to search for in the first place. Explore is good for finding your lone keep or maybe your Kyrallic. Searching an untapped wilderness with explore means you have to play 4 warpath cards to get back te resources you spent on explore plus the 3 that untapped wilderness costs. Doesnt sound like a good deal to me. Also the card draw of explore only works if you have a location up and still then its only 1 resource less then the trading post because 1 cards is just replacing the explore that did  nothing except the draw.
tl;dr explore is okay if you picked up a lone keep in all other cases pick something else.

Offline MzudemX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 01:15:36 PM »
I think I'll keep my comments to my favourite faction, Flame Dawn.

It is definitley not mine :D so thanks for the feedback.

Agent Coyle: If you end up two purity flame dawn you are looking at rushing your opponent down, this makes him one of the best Flame Dawn cards you can take in your deck due to his surprise nature (especially if hiding behind a few other cards to let him sneak in for 21 damage).  He can transform late game into a multi strike dragon.  Oh and if you have Aberion's banner don't even get me started

I agree on that. Legendarys are kind of hard to rate since you dont get to pick them often what makes testing them a little hard. So 1up for the firestarter.

Bloodbath: I've never seen someone pull this off in draft successfully, and it's very difficult to pull off in constructed (due to the weak nature of Flame Dawn cards).  I would move this down one level under dragon of the summer flame.

I cant remember if I ever actually picked it up and trust you in this. 1 down for Bloodbath.

Bromich: Part of what makes Flame Dawn really good is the ability to hit hard and fast,  while he is a Good card to have in your deck, he is the Best card to have as your commander.  He is for sure not the best card to have in your deck at the rare level.

Agree 100%. I cant remember why I put him there in the first place :D I'll place him in the good spot.

Paladin of the Flame Dawn:  Why is this only Good?  This card is amazing against Verore, it's insane if you manage to get a buff onto it from GI or DoD.  On the rare level I would place this as one of the best cards to have from flame dawn in draft.  Does this make it the best card to take? No...but it's better than most rares (except Protector) as a part of your deck.

1 up for Pally. I maybe had a bad run with him  :P

Mark 1 Brimstone Tank:  While this is a nice beefy character, I think that you get more out of Pyr (Constant pressure) and Aberion Banner (Bigger charge creatures).  I would probably move this down to the same level as those two for purposes of draft pick.

I will again trust you on that. Not much expirience with it. 1down for the tank.

Purify: I don't think people have picked up on the potential of this in draft yet.  I've had two people concede to me after I removed vital parts of their game (Once I purified away all 3 of the deck secluded constructors, the other time I purified away 2 pack leaders).  I would put it on the border of the two but I almost think it needs to move into the best category

This is maybe the best spell card of 1 purity FD at the moment. It card has huge potential and when I ranket it was thinking about putting it into best.  1 up for purify.

Call the crusade: This card can be a game changer if played at the right time.  Perfect card to avoid Mass Death with, great way to punch through for the win when your opponent thought he had the perfect amount of defenders.  I take 2+ of these quite often when I go for a rush deck using Flame Dawn and usually get 20+ wins with about 1/4 of those happening off call.

I was strugelling on that card if it is good or best. I still think it is okay in the good spot. It has the potential do be awesome but its also very costly. I will think about that and get more opinions on that and then decide if it gets a promotion.

Thaks again for the feedback.

Offline epicab3l

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »
I'm working on an interactive version of this right now. It's a lot of work.

Offline Berabouman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »
About the FD stuff :

1. I've lost a few games to Bloodbath, so I wouldn't say it's THAT bad. It really only shines if you are playing a more control-oriented FD build (which is possible) involving heavier beaters. It's not great though, and you often have to build around it.

2. Paladin is one of the best FD cards in the game, period. :)

3. The tank is quite good in factions other than FD. It can be buffed with Aleta, sacrificed to Constructor, and it gives you board control options.

4. I think Purity can be great, but it can also be a completely dead card in certain matchups. It can remove key elements of your opponent's deck, but they are just playing straight-up beatdown or control, losing 1 card or two doesn't mean anything for them.

Offline MzudemX

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 06:50:30 PM »
It's not great though, and you often have to build around it.

Thats the reason why I put it into below average for now but this may change with the upcoming patch and the buff it will resive.

2. Paladin is one of the best FD cards in the game, period.

like I said, my opinion of it may be that way because I had a bad run with them. I revalued them and put them into best and they are awesome if you can combo them with GI constructor aka bionic paladin.

3. The tank is quite good in factions other than FD. It can be buffed with Aleta, sacrificed to Constructor, and it gives you board control options.

Dont have that much experience with him but he feels a bit clunky. he is defenetly on one level with Pry but I should may be brimstone one down and these two into average. Need to draft a FD deck again to make evaluate them. Imo the one of the main problem FD has at the moment and why they dont feel as good as other factions is that they have a lot of decent cards, expecially in the commen and uncommen slot but only a few realy stand out of the mass.

4. I think Purity can be great, but it can also be a completely dead card in certain matchups. It can remove key elements of your opponent's deck, but they are just playing straight-up beatdown or control, losing 1 card or two doesn't mean anything for them.

Purify is an awesome card and you will find a use for it but I would not pick more then 1 or maybe 2 if the other options are worse. 3 Purifys is definitive overkill.
It's an unexplored card and on a sidenote, I just wastched the new IW cast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raKAr0JYxSU) with Manchy and he said he realy loves the card but hasnt cast it once since the release of infestation :D

Offline Erlaya

• Lightmare Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 11:31:49 PM »
Yah a large thing to consider with the choices and it's why an interactive version would be great, is that some cards are the best cards to pick for the first option you have of them.  They drop to being a good pick on the second.  And a lot of times the third pick of a card is near useless in draft.  I'll bring back my firestarter example.  Having one in a deck is amazing, two in the deck is medium to good, but I would never pick a fourth unless I had zero other options simply because of him being A) Unique and B) Late game

Offline Klipt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 05:55:14 AM »
Just want to chime in again and say how much I appreciate this thread -- even though I'm too fresh to begin dipping into rift, the conversation and quick-glance ratings in this threaad have been invaluable as I've been tweaking constructed decks.

Thank you for all the effort!

+1

Offline Badyuyu

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 06:49:46 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you for this thread. It really helped me get started! Thank you :)

Btw (and this I also noticed ingame) it seems that CoV has a very high amount of above average cards that are common and 1 Purity! Am i just imagining things or is CoV really in 80% of all decks because of that?

Offline MzudemX

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
Btw (and this I also noticed ingame) it seems that CoV has a very high amount of above average cards that are common and 1 Purity! Am i just imagining things or is CoV really in 80% of all decks because of that?

You are not imagining things  :D CoV offers you a lot of good removal spells with no downsides on 1 purity that is why they are an excellent splash in, especially for newer players. It also works for draft very well and a lot of players hope to get 2 or even 3 purity CoV for there draft deck because you get mass death and the lone keep. The lone keep on its own wins a game between to unexpirenced players because it completly changes the pace of the game.
Also the 1# and 2# ranked player of the constructed ladder maining CoV.

3 purity CoV is so damn powerfull at the moment and I hate CoV because it is soooo anoying

Offline Berabouman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 12:43:59 AM »
As it stands I think there are like 4 threads talking about how CoV is too strong...:)

Offline Morgg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »
Hi i just want to give you some opinions on your GI rating.

1. Controlled Temporal Anomaly isnt avaible right now in draft.

2. Lucca is one ofthe best cards you can draft in GI decks. If you splash GI with other factions she may not be as good as a Splitter but if you play mainly atifacts she is more important in your deck then a splitter.

3. I dont think infested scavenger is as good as you think. You have to draft thinks to get you stuff back from the graveyard unless you play alot of unending drones. otherwise he is just a 4/4  for 4 whats pretty bad. I would place him in below average.

4. Low Orbit Ion cannon is a pretty good card. I would rate it as good. Most people will put alot in there support zone if you play it and you can play some pretty good mindgames with it. If you have your 3 Splitter bos and your Luccas you should take one

5. Shikana can be very good too. you can board wipe or attack with her. Atleast you can stall your enemie for 1 turn if you play her. maybe place her at average.

Offline DrayGon777

• Friendly Neighborhood Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »
Just a few questions in regards to your line of thinking for Warpath as I main that and haven't tried draft much at this time.

Why is Sydern average? I know he's a really low cost 7/7 beatstick, but he is usually only played late game due to his pretty severe penalty. On the other hand, I feel that Armored Landcrawler might be a bit undervalued here since he's an excellent blocker and harder to take out with damage effects. He can also be a decent attacker with a Pack Leader or two, soaking up damage better than other characters. I guess his main issue is that he has a fairly low attack. I also wonder why One of Many is considered THE best common card. Am I just missing something, or am I just viewing through the eyes of someone that primarily plays constructed? I never end up having any One of Many in my decks since Rise was released. Too many other cards that I see as better because of their effects. For instance, I value Killaroo higher than One of Many because, while it has 4 less attack, it has haste and can surprise block flyers.

Perhaps my thinking is wrong, which is why I'd like your opinion on at least these cards. I had some other concerns regarding possibly Aleta (though I realize you rated her as if in deck) and Ancient Aether, but they may actually be more situational cards that may not quite fit draft as well as they fit constructed.
Just so you guys know, if you're ever vs WWK, just start putting out random numbers and mathematical symbols, he will surrender.

Offline Badyuyu

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »
One more thing. I don't see "Raise the Land" and "Return to the Old World" in your lists at all. Both of which I think are very high value card considering that everybody and thir grandma play the lone keep (and after you play it the game tempo drastically changes! The value of the ability to have one "surprise all my stuff can actually attack" turn can not be understated as players usually never put up more than two defenders when keep is out) and also the origin of the virus and Hellmouth.

Just wondering about that. Did I overlook them?

P.S. Hellmouth is pure card value AND circumvents the lone keep. Why do you only rate it average?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:32:41 PM by Badyuyu »

Offline TimetoSplit

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 04:09:35 PM »
Cards like  Hellmouth and Dragon Project are incredibly good in draft.