Author Topic: Riftrunner's Guide to the Galaxy  (Read 32566 times)

Offline MzudemX

• View Profile
Riftrunner's Guide to the Galaxy
« on: March 01, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »
Hello and welcome to the rift.

This my little guide for those who want to start and take on the challenge that awaits them in the rift of Infinity Wars.

I am by no means an Expert in this game. That said I still suck at it but I am getting better. That said I am not doing badly in the Rift (draft-mode) and that’s mainly because I have experience with drafts in other TCG's and a lot of the basic concepts of other TCG transfer to IW riftrunns.

What is a Riftrun?

A riftrun is drafting mode in witch you will get presented 4 random cards at a time to chose from.
You will start of by choosing your three commanders. These three commanders will like in constructed define the purity of your deck and therefor define witch cards are possible to chose from for your deck to be “legal”.
After you picked your commanders you go through 40 choices of 4 cards at a time to build your deck.

What is the differences between rift runs and constructed play?

In constructed other then in rift runs you try to build a perfect storm. You take your cards and put them in your deck like pics of a puzzle. In a rift run through the element of randomness you would not be able to create a perfect storm – you can try but the chances you will fail in that regard are huge.
On the other hand every other rifter has to face this and so everyone is on even ground.
The game will much more evolve about making good trades and getting small advantages over your opponent till your advantage is so overwhelming that finally pull through to the win. In short the player that makes the most of every single card will probably win.

Why do rift runs cost me IP?

Think of it like a poker tonier  where you have to pay first to get chips to play with. Then you sit down at poker table and play as long as you want or make through to the big prize.
In a rift run you will never lose all your “bet”, even if you go out with 0 wins you will get back about half of your fee but if you manage to get at least 9 wins you granted 1 rare and 2 uncommon cards and a lot of IP and if you go really far an manage to achieve 29 wins you can keep your rift run deck.
It is a bet. It is a challenge. It is the most rewarding thing in IW.

So how do I win games in the rift?

First of all – knowledge of the game also referred as skill. A good player will crush you even if got the superior deck. He will just outplay you. So before you set a foot in the rift you should be familiar
with all the cards and mechanics that are present in IW.

Secondly you have to understand how an advantage is created.

There are in general three states of creating an advantage.

1. In board stage/boardpower: To make it simple, if the sum of the attack and defense value of the creatures on the board is higher then those of your opponent you have the advantage. You will be able to trade more efficiently than up to the point that your opponent is forced to “hide” his units in the support-zone in fear of losing even more and have the glimpse of a chance to catch up to your power-level.
2. In (resource) efficiency – the general idea behind this is if you spent all your resources every turn you will get more done over time than your opponent. For example if you play a creature that costs 2 on your second turn and your opponent does this too you should be equal in power on the board. On your next turn you play a 3 cost creature and he players a 2 cost creature you have the advantage of 1 resource in power on the board. But there is more to that: if you for example use a death ray to kill a five cost creature you also gained an advantage of 2 resources. It is like an hidden advantage. Ramp cards like the wealthy noble excels in this regard – if you use all resources very turn while you have an wealthy noble in play you will gain an advantage of 1 resource per turn.
3. Card advantage  - this one is a bit different in IW than in other TCG's through the existence of the trading post more related to efficiency mentioned above. If you have more cards in hand then your opponent you will have more options to counter what he is playing, to be efficient with your resources. The key to get an advantage in this regard is to trade efficient. You always want to look out for a good trade where one of your cards can take out more then one of your opponent cards – the most know and feared card that does this exceptionally well is the dreaded mass death but also a one of many can be good in this regard because there are not many 3 cost creatures that can trade up with him 1:1.

There is a 4th, less common method of gaining the advantage; Tempo.  Due to it's difficulty, many new IW players may find it hard to take full advantage of a deck's tempo.  For this reason, I am keeping Tempo separate.It is also probably the one that is the hardest to achieve for a player that is new to IW.
The concept of tempo is to force your opponent to react to your plays by putting him under pressure. This will force him to make more predictable plays and take bad trades.
Since IW the fog of war is an essential part of the game play its hard to unfold this point in all its depth in a few sentence and also this probably the one I am still struggling the most with myself.
So I will leave it like this and open to someone else to break it down.

What cards should I pick?

To draft a decent deck you want cards that give you high amount of flexibility and/or good value.

A good example for a flexible card is “Word of Command” - it can be used in different circumstances. It can be used to kill a unit of your opponent that is otherwise out of your reach like secluded constructor, get rid of a behemoth that sits in front of the enemy fortress and denies you the last swing at it or gives you a guarantied death ray on the opponents flyer.

If you talk about value you cant do this without mentioning the splitter-bot, which is maybe the best uncommon creature for draft. It is 10/10 for 4 cost that leaves two 5/5's when it dies witch make it a ridiculous 20/20 in stats.  It is nearly impossible to get less than a 2:1 trade with this badass.

One more thing to think about if you draft your deck is a theme – this is mostly decided by the uncommons you pick. For example if you have warpath and GI in command and you get to choose between Lucca and a pack leader for the first time you will more or less set the theme of the deck an which road will go. If you pick Lucca you probably want a more artificial heavy deck – with the pack leader you want more beasts to maximize the synergies of them.

to give you general idea of what is hot and what is not - my drafting tier list.

And also check out Adorabears proven combos ----> http://dtcgsanctum.com/2014/03/08/adoratips-rift-run-combos/

Factionless
http://i.imgur.com/IhWoKY5.jpg
CoV
http://i.imgur.com/5TF3bLU.jpg
DoD
http://i.imgur.com/tTtH7Kh.jpg
FD
http://i.imgur.com/QRaeaNG.jpg
GI
http://i.imgur.com/gK1AwoE.jpg
Warpath
http://i.imgur.com/DHh9u2E.jpg
Exiles
http://i.imgur.com/nCZw8NV.jpg
Sleepers
http://i.imgur.com/tsIY9UD.jpg
The Overseers
http://i.imgur.com/1Eu1At0.jpg

If you still dont know what this is all about, you should have a look at this awesome step by step drafting analyse of chaosangle2112 or Shimrra3.
                           http://lightmare.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=20251.0          http://lightmare.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=20473.0

Complete reward table and comprehensive tips bye Adorabear.
http://forum.lightmare.com.au/index.php?topic=64354.0

I also strated with a series of drafing vods. You can find them on my twitch profile under highlights for the time beeing. I may put them up to Youtube in the future.
                                                                              http://www.twitch.tv/m2dx/profile
Just look for the drafting with M2dX vods. I go through the drafting of the deck and commentate the choises of mine.

Thanks a lot to 4 Diamonds for correcting my bad english.

See you all in the rift.

and DONT PANIC!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:00:38 AM by MzudemX »

Offline MzudemX

• View Profile
Re: Riftrunner's Guide to the Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 12:50:08 AM »
Changelog:
-FD chart got updated. Shoutout to Erlaya!
March 8. 2014
-added Adorabears draft combos link. Bearlicious
March 18. 2014
-all sheets have been updated
-added link to chaosangle2112 draft analysis
April 1. 2014
-STICKY! whoop whoop!
-added link to drafting with M2dX vods on twitch
April 3. 2014
-added link to Shimrra3's draftin analysis
June 30. 2014
-Ascension update for all tier lists
-added Overseers tier list
April 19. 2015
-link to Rift rewards and 5 tips
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:02:16 AM by MzudemX »

Offline DeathBySnuSnu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 02:02:00 AM »
Well done write up. I didn't go through all the cards that and spreadsheets but this is a great starting point for anyone who wants the 411 on "Tripping the Rift". Thanks for taking the time to do this. I think it will do a lot to help those who are newer be better "drafters".

Offline Nekelkosh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 08:30:11 AM »
Great article can see this becoming a sticky post haste.

Offline Hitori

• #YoboSwag
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:46:42 AM »
Interesting guide :)
+1
I conceive that a great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by false estimates they have made of the value of things.

Offline Adorabear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 01:18:20 PM »
Very nice :) well laid out and explains the answers to alot of questions that I see in global chat everyday
Goose got me loose!

Offline MzudemX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »
Thanks for your response guys!

If you see something in the tier list that you thing should be rated diffrently, please let me know.

Also I am going to add a section about the power curve - forgot about that completly  ::)

Offline Berabouman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
Well each to his own but personally I find Evelee quite strong. Sure she is neutral but both her abilities are very powerful. Won me quite a few matches.

Offline MzudemX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 09:21:53 PM »
Well each to his own but personally I find Evelee quite strong. Sure she is neutral but both her abilities are very powerful. Won me quite a few matches.

I can do that. I have honestly have no expirence with Evelee. She is so rare to pop up in the first place but I think I will give her a shoot the next time I get the chance.

Offline Hytf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 12:29:58 AM »
What does max 1 mean?

Offline MzudemX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 01:50:21 AM »
What does max 1 mean?

That means the maximum amount of that card you want in your deck. Take Poison for example. It is a good card to take out a commander or a constructer but its slow. So you dont want it to happen that your hand fills up on that card. Some cards that forfill a special purpose have are of limited use if you stack up on them. They can becomme "dead draws" and thats about the worst thing that can happen. Many location fall in this category. Two of the same location is okay because it highers your chances in drawing it and sometimes your opponent has a removel for it. Haveing more then 2 locations in draft deck is in general a bad idea because if you draw into it, it wont do anything for you and you have to spent 3 resources to get another card.

i hope that helps   :)

Offline Palaxar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 10:02:10 PM »
A few things I'd like to point out:
1) typo for referred: "refereed" (I'm a perfectionist at times and can be fixed with a quick edit).
2) you kinda messed up with the quality for the Warpath cards. For all the other factions, you have the qualities stated at the top in their respective columns for the other factions besides Warpath.

3) Its somewhat clunky, I tried to do some practice drafts with this guide, and it just felt somewhat... tedious to look at the list for every commander because you have to hover to show it. Is it possible for you to code it in such a way that we can click them instead so that it doesn't make the spoilers go away when we hover away? A huge part of the reason why being able to click each of them to keep them open would make it less clunky is because I could press Ctrl + F (or go to where you search the page with on the browser you're using), type in the name of the commander, and it'll take me automatically to it. Also, having a link to the spreadsheet would be beneficial as well.

4) The guide doesn't give a rating for if the card is good in command. Its just a flatline. Take Skraar for example, he's a fantastic card to have in your deck, while he may still be a solid card to have command, he's less useful than he would otherwise be because commanders already have haste, and part of why Skraar is so good is because he has without being in command and can come out without warning(and since he's rare, people will expect him to come out less than they would for something like Killaroo which has haste AND is a common). I feel that this would affect his score in command.

5) This isn't absolutely necessary, but it would help alot if you gave a statement for each card on what makes them good/bad. Since this guide is here to benefit beginners, I feel that explaining on a card's quality would be helpful to them.
________
     |___|   
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Got thesis!

Offline MzudemX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 12:23:21 AM »
2) you kinda messed up with the quality for the Warpath cards. For all the other factions, you have the qualities stated at the top in their respective columns for the other factions besides Warpath.

yeah i had noticed that allready. Was late when I took the sreenshot and my excel was scrolled down a little bit. will be fixed soon  :D

3) Its somewhat clunky, I tried to do some practice drafts with this guide, and it just felt somewhat... tedious to look at the list for every commander because you have to hover to show it. Is it possible for you to code it in such a way that we can click them instead so that it doesn't make the spoilers go away when we hover away? A huge part of the reason why being able to click each of them to keep them open would make it less clunky is because I could press Ctrl + F (or go to where you search the page with on the browser you're using), type in the name of the commander, and it'll take me automatically to it. Also, having a link to the spreadsheet would be beneficial as well.

I look into it. First time I used the spoiler function. Maybe there are other options but I will add the links to imgur, thats a realy good idea. I honestly wasnt happy with the way it is right now.

4) The guide doesn't give a rating for if the card is good in command. Its just a flatline. Take Skraar for example, he's a fantastic card to have in your deck, while he may still be a solid card to have command, he's less useful than he would otherwise be because commanders already have haste, and part of why Skraar is so good is because he has without being in command and can come out without warning(and since he's rare, people will expect him to come out less than they would for something like Killaroo which has haste AND is a common). I feel that this would affect his score in command.

The tier list is ment for the draft after you picked the commanders. Aletas for example are way better in command then they are as a "normal" card. But I want to do a something for the commanders too. Work in progress  8)

5) This isn't absolutely necessary, but it would help alot if you gave a statement for each card on what makes them good/bad. Since this guide is here to benefit beginners, I feel that explaining on a card's quality would be helpful to them.

I could do this but I wanted to see first if this goes anywhere and this also needs time to do it. (Time that I spent on playing the game :D ) Doing the commanders is the next goal.

Thanks for your feedback.

P.S. There maybe a version of this with the actual pictures of the cards in the near future.

Offline Klipt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 04:06:29 AM »
I'm pretty new to the game, so excuse me if this is a silly question, but why is Explore listed as below average?  I considered it decent previously, because not only can it tutor your locale, but it's also a 4 cost draw 2, which is favorable to the Trading Post's 5 cost draw 1.  Although, granted, you have to wait a turn to use the draw cards, is that why it's considered below average, because it can be a dead draw when you really just need an immediate card?

Thanks for the guide!

Offline Berabouman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 04:42:16 AM »
Well, if you have a location like Veroria, I guess it goes up in value? Everything is relative, the ratings are just a guide.

Explore doesn't have an immediate effect on the field when you play it, and you still need to play the location next turn (or get the cards next turn) so that's on reason it's not that strong. However, if you have a high-value location obviously it's better.