Author Topic: Lots of miscellaneous templating/balance suggestions  (Read 5387 times)

Offline Bayushi

• View Profile
Lots of miscellaneous templating/balance suggestions
« on: February 22, 2014, 12:59:49 AM »
(or in other words: I figured this would be easier done as one thread than as twenty)

Suggestions are sorted by type.
Changes from the last edit are in bold.  Last edit: April 20th

General Templating (not specific to any one card)
"gets" vs. "gains": IW does not seem to have a consistent style here. I prefer Magic's "gets +X/+Y" and "gains [ability]", but any consistent style will do.
Random discard: I prefer "discard a card a random", but I've also seen IW use "discard one random card" and "discard one card at random".  Just pick one.
Passive Voice: IW does not have a consistent style here. It might be correct to eliminate all use of the passive voice.

Ascension (Preview Cards From Quests Only)

Mindbender (Ascension #??): This discard is not at random.

Infestation:
Spelling/Grammar/Style (Style suggestions are italicized.)
Annihilate (Infestation #9): Flavour text lacks a period.
Bloodthirsty Dead (Infestation #12): Flavour text lacks an apostrophe (The sleepers').
Boomy (Infestation #13): Rules text lacks a comma ("he explodes, dealing...").
Bury (Infestation #18): I prefer "and put it into your graveyard."
Cyber Infested Dragon (Infestation #24): I prefer "and create 6 Endless Hordes in your graveyard". Does not create tokens when sacrificed to Secluded Constructor. (How to sacrifice a dragon to secluded constructor is left as an exercise for the reader.)
Dead Feaster (Infestation #25): It may not be a hard rule to never end a sentence with a preposition, but here there's no reason to; flavour text should be closer to "There are some things upon which only the dead may feast."
Decrepit Crystal (Infestation #26): Flavour text should not capitalize "bones".  The trigger is repeatable and thus should likely be "Whenever".  Why is this "additional"?
Defender of the Realm (Infestation #27): I prefer "While..." or "As long as..." to "If..." conditions that may cease to be true.
Desolation (Infestation #31): Rules text lacks a period.
Disarm (Infestation #33): I prefer "Target character in a combat zone's power becomes 0 this turn."
Enyah, of the Endless Possibilities (Infestation #37): Name should be "Enyah of the Endless Possibilities". (The comma is unnecesary.)  Calls itself Varyus instead of Enyah when informing you you cannot include two copies of a card in deck.
Flame Dawn Fanatic (Infestation #38): "it's" should be "its".
Frenzied Monstrosity (Infestation #40): The comma in the rules text is unnecessary; the one in the flavour text should be a period.
Hungry Abomination (Infestation #46): The name of the card should be capitalized in its own text.  Flavour text appears to be unfinished.
Inevitable Dead (Infestation #47): "At the end of the first turn of the game".  I would also prefer active voice over passive here.
Infected Devil (Infestation #48): "Sleeper of Avarrach" is a card name and should be capitalized accordingly.
Infected Drone (Infestation #49): "Robot" is not a character type; "artificial" is probably intended.
Infest (Infestation #52): I prefer active voice here.  I feel there is a better template as well, but cannot provide one at this time. Makes a 5/5 Sleeper of Avarrach instead of the 6/4 Risen of Avarrach mentioned.
Infested Knight (Infestation #56): "A flesh" is very awkward; consider "but I did not expect to see flesh turn to metal." (Should this be Artificial?)
Kali, the Purifier (Infestation #61): The last comma in the flavour text is unnecessary.
Kyrallic, Origin of the Virus (Infestation #62): "singly-mindedly" should be "single-mindedly".
Mechanism (Infestation #66): Rules text is awkward and uses a tone rarely found elsewhere; consider "At the end of the turn, all characters next to Mechanism get +1/+1."
Prophet Karani (Infestation #73): Warpath should be capitalized. This text is unclear enough it needs a retemplate I am not confident to provide until or unless I play with it.  I believe "she hath" is also incorrect.
Purify (Infestation #74): I prefer active voice here.
Recurring Nightmare (Infestation #77): The comma in the flavour text is unnecessary.
Scramble (Infestation #80): No Exile cost is written; is this "Exile 0"?
Shifting Stone (Infestation #81): "Character" should be lowercase.
Skraar's Young (Infestation #82): The rules text is missing a (trailing) period.
Summoning Stone (Infestation #85): The token should be a "flying demon character token".  This card removes all counters when exhausted. If this is intended, the template is wrong. If this is unintended, the card is horribly bugged.
Survival Swarmer (Infestation #88): "it's" in the flavour text should be "its".
Taunt (Infestation #89): I prefer active voice here.
The Demon Wastes (Infestation #92): The ability should not have a line break in it. Consider "this turn" instead of "until the end of turn".
Wheezer, Demon of Smog (Infestation #99): The rules text is missing a period.
Wreckful Walrus (Infestation #100): "underfoot" is standard. Something else seems wrong about this text, but I can't quite place it.
Other templating
Agent Coyle, Alpha One (Infestation #3): This has the worst case of Tygris-itis I've ever seen; even worse than Tygris himself, in fact.
I have been informed of this card's effect by a friend who opened one. This template is intentionally not how other cards do it to fit on a card.
Agent Coyle, Alpha One
Pay 3: Alpha One gets +3/+3 permanently.
Pay 4: Attacks twice this turn.
Pay 6: Can't be dealt more than 3 damage at once this turn.
Pay 8: Kills target character instead of fighting it this turn.
Agent Coyle, Zomborg (Infestation #4): This has the same issue as Alpha One.
Aleta, the Immortal Searcher (Infestation #6): This ability should indicate somehow that it occurs immediately and cannot be undone (like the trading post).  At the minimum, I suggest "immediately draw a card".
Cheryl, the Forward Scout (Infestation #19): Rules text lacks ending "from the game".
Demonize (Infestation #29): This card should read "is fully healed, then" before "is transformed".
Fleeting Footman (Infestation #39): Why does this specify "to the support zone"? Hinekiri does not.
Hubris of the Strong (Infestation #45): I have not been able to test this, but does this make a Defense Golem 0/1? If not, the text should be closer to "Target character in a combat zone is fully healed, then becomes 1/1."
Rabid Rabbit (Infestation #75): It is unclear whether the transformation occurs before or after combat. Add "character" after "undead" for consistency.
Suppress (Infestation #86): It is unclear whether this effect applies to triggered abilities.
Surprise Defense (Infestation #87): The order of the cards put into the defense zone is unclear.  I prefer "return them to your hand".
Tithe Collector (Infestation #58): This effect does not work as printed.  I suggest "character cards your opponent owns".
Uncontrolled Rift (Infestation #95): I do not think "from Infinity Wars" is necessary.  Uncontrolled Rift can create promotional cards (such as the Santa Secluded Constructor); though I cannot confirm this without seeing the code, this likely means cards with multiple printings are more likely to appear, which seems not the intent.

Core: This entire section is new.

Burning Prejudice (CORE #24): "all other characters" should specify "on the battlefield".
Call the Crusade (CORE #25): These tokens are not identical to the card Flame Dawn Aspirants, as their morale cost is 1.  The text should specify "with morale cost 1".
Cannon Fire (CORE #7): "in a combat zone" should be "in combat zones" (as they do not have to be in the same zone.)
Flame Ram (CORE #31): This should read "When Flame Ram directly attacks an enemy fortress, deal 15 damage to that fortress." (This is to clarify that it deals its normal combat damage as well.)
Meditating Monk (CORE #95): This should read "At the end of the turn, if there are no characters in an opponent's assault zone".

Changes below this line are style changes.

Aleta, Immortal Caretaker (CORE #40): "target" should be capitalized.
Aleta, Immortal Sorceress (CORE #58): "deal" and "pay" should be capitalized; "pay" should come before "exhaust"
Ao Shun, Dragon of Wisdom (CORE #84): Remove "you" before "draw a card".  (Even better, write "At the start of each turn Ao Shun is on the battlefield, draw 2 cards." per Hidden by Clouds.)
Battlefield Scavenger (CORE #59): "defensive zone" should be "defense zone".  Remove "you" before the first "draw a card".
Bromich, Field Commander (CORE #23): "attacking zone" should be "assault zone".
Caretaker of the Young (CORE #44): "create" should be capitalized.
Daode, Sage of Strength (CORE #87): "all" should be capitalized.
Demon of Gluttony: First ability's restriction should be "This ability can only be used once per turn".
Field Engineer (CORE #107): "defensive zone" should be "defense zone".
Great Wall of Jinhai (CORE #90): "Defensive Zone" should be "defense zone".
Martyr Golem (CORE #111): "heal" should be capitalized.
Orion, Master Architect (CORE #13): "create" should be capitalized.  I suggest writing the last text as "where X is twice the cost of the card removed".
The Hellmouth (CORE #72): "create" should be capitalized.

Rise: This entire section is new

Aleta, the Immortal Traveler (RISE #1): This card should be named "Aleta, Immortal Traveler" (for consistency).  The cost should be before the colon - "Pay X, Exhaust: Create an Unlimited character of your choice with cost X-1.".
Ancient Egg (RISE #11): See http://lightmare.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=19521.0.
Evellee, Mage Guild Recruiter (RISE #4): The first ability should read "Pay X+1, Exhaust: Put the first character [or a random character, whichever it is] from your deck costing X or below into play."  The second ability can be similarly changed.
Hell's Gambler (RISE #93): This should be written "Hell's Gambler gains either +4/+4 or -4/-4 at random.  This ability can only be used once per turn." (As written, a reasonable interpretation is that the rolls are separate.)
Low Orbit Ion Cannon (RISE #29): The cost for this should be "Pay 3, Exhaust".
Tygris, the Architect (RISE #34): See http://lightmare.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=19521.0.
Zom-B-Gone 4000 (RISE #35): This card actually targets characters in a combat zone.

Changes below this line are style changes.

Heaven's Bell (RISE #72): "Defense Zone" should be "defense zone".
Mark 1 'Brimstone' Battle Tank (RISE #55): "deal" should be capitalized.
Shrapnel Launcher (RISE #32): "target" should be capitalized.

Balance Changes
Repair and Rally
Both of these cards are clearly worthless; you are effectively giving up _two_ cards in exchange for 15 life or morale, as the opportunity cost of playing a 5-cost card is not drawing a card with the Trading Post.
There are four options here: one is to say "we don't care about worthless cards existing", which I certainly hope is not the answer; a second is to reduce the cost, but I think these cards are bad even at 0 to play; a third is to increase the life or morale gained (perhaps to 30 or 40, though this would of course need to be tested by the supersecret team of secretness.)  The fourth option is, of course, the one that I can prefer; in exchange for putting a card in your deck you cannot use until you have five resources, let's remove the opportunity cost.
My suggested new text:
Rally - You gain 15 morale.  Draw two cards. Remove Rally from the game.
Repair - Your fortress is repaired 15 damage. Draw two cards. Remove Repair from the game.

(More to come).

Other
Teremus should get a raise.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:16:44 AM by Bayushi »
Scorpion Clan * Courtier * Shugenja * Loyal * Unique * Destined * QA Team * Experienced
(Draw a card after your Destined card enters play. Shugenja may attach and cast Spells.)

Viquel

Re: Lots of miscellaneous templating/balance suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 03:31:40 AM »

Hubris of the Strong (Infestation #45): I have not been able to test this, but does this make a Defense Golem 0/1? If not, the text should be closer to "Target character in a combat zone becomes 1/1."

Other

a 10/10 that took 1 damage for 10/9(10) will
A) become a 1/0(1)
B) become a 1/1
after Hubris is played.

Currently, A happens - if it took damage, it dies. That might be exactly what the card states, but English isn't my first language. Personally, I'd expect outcome B. If B is intended and A is a bug, your wording is better

regarding Teremus, let's all chip in, there is a Raise ;D

Offline WWKnight

• View Profile
    • dTCG Sanctum - One stop for all your IW needs!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 07:27:04 AM »
Copied and pasted to the man in charge.
I'm a pretty big deal around here.

Feel privileged.

Offline Githian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 10:10:22 AM »
+1 for wording changes, always appreciated.

Regarding Repair: it used to heal 25 (or 35? can't remember) and it was a key card in making control creatureless decks the strongest in the format, this summer. And that's how it became an almost useless card.

Offline Palaxar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 09:14:56 PM »
Other
AGREED! Though perhaps I might just be a Teremus fanboy XD He just does everything he does so well.
________
     |___|   
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Got thesis!

Offline Hitori

• #YoboSwag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 10:36:50 PM »
+1 to all
Rapair/Rally can get a cost reduction FOR SURE, as for card draw, perhaps replacing itself is enough (no need for 2 cards imho).
I conceive that a great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by false estimates they have made of the value of things.

Offline Bayushi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 03:27:44 AM »
Just updated the original post; figure it won't be noticed if I don't make a new post to notify others of this.
I intend to go through core/rise soon and do basically what I've done for Infestation above, but that's a larger project.
Scorpion Clan * Courtier * Shugenja * Loyal * Unique * Destined * QA Team * Experienced
(Draw a card after your Destined card enters play. Shugenja may attach and cast Spells.)

Offline opferunm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 10:53:29 AM »
If you want to add a draw effect to repair/rally you could just start with 1 card and see how it goes...

Offline TimetoSplit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »
Rather than card draw, I'd rather just see a reduction to the cost and an increase to the life/morale boost.  I mean, compare Rally to Yobo.  Yobo costs 3, gains 10 and has a 7/7 body...plus he's factionless! Leagues ahead of Rally. 

Offline Bayushi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »
Core and Rise cards have been added today (March 31st).

Offline Hitori

• #YoboSwag
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 05:17:40 AM »
BAM!
I conceive that a great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by false estimates they have made of the value of things.

Offline Bayushi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 04:23:33 PM »
OP updated.

Offline Agrivane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 11:57:07 AM »

Meditating Monk (CORE #95): This should read "At the end of the turn, if there are no characters in an opponent's assault zone".

I think this might be confusing - I read in to his description "If anything attacks his meditation is interrupted."

Offline DefenestratedCow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 12:54:14 PM »

I think this might be confusing - I read in to his description "If anything attacks his meditation is interrupted."

The thing is, that's how the card works.  If everything that was put in the Assault Zone is dead by the end of the turn, then Meditating Monk gets +2/+0

(or in other words: I figured this would be easier done as one thread than as twenty)

Cyber Infested Dragon (Infestation #24): I prefer "and create 6 Endless Hordes in your graveyard". Does not create tokens when sacrificed to Secluded Constructor. (How to sacrifice a dragon to secluded constructor is left as an exercise for the reader.)

Unless you're saying that this should be a balance change instead of a description change, then I think it's fine.  I wouldn't say that sacrificing something counts as it being destroyed.  Instead, I think the description should be changed to "When Cyber Infested Dragon dies while on the battlefield..."  This would be consistent with One of Many Exhumed's text.

Although, after writing this, I noticed that you specifically pointed out secluded constructor.  Does that mean that it does spawn when sacrificed to something else?  In that case, I'd say that that is what should be changed, since sacrifices don't usually cause on death effects (the prime example being morale loss).

Offline Bayushi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »
I haven't been able to test it with other sacrifices as the only other way I can find to sacrifice it is random and I don't exactly have a victim to deal with that.

@CI Dragon: There is a standard template for "dies without being sacrificed". It is "dies without being sacrificed".  (See Verore Death Worshipper.)  I do not know whether this should be changed to spawn six hordes when sacrificed, and don't particularly care; I'm just reporting that the card does not do what it says.