Author Topic: Omni Promotional Set, Your Thoughts?  (Read 7242 times)

Offline Mody

• View Profile
Omni Promotional Set, Your Thoughts?
« on: January 03, 2014, 11:36:31 AM »
On January 2nd Lightmare released the Omni promotional set containing 3 new cards.
They are available through the Wrecking Ball challenge (kill 250 enemy characters) where you get 4 of each.

Dugg

Navi

And Raa - WARNING do not use Raa in PvP, causing major de-syncs in-game. Versus bots is fine.

They all have one thing in common, they all have abilities that win the game for you under certain conditions like Ju-Lin.
A lot of people are saying they are over powered, but luckily they are only legal in unranked constructed games.

Bugs:
  • Raa is causing de-syncs in-game, spawning two "Spawn of Raa" instead of one (needs nerf to not include sacrifices like the verore death worshippers), zooming in on "Spawn of Raa" it will pull out the image in a 4x2 tile fashion
  • Dugg causes UI problems when the fortress health is above 100

What are your thoughts on these new cards, and how do you think they will affect the game?

Edit: Bugs and warning
Edit 2: Updated bugs
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:20:23 PM by Mody »
༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽ This is a signature, fear it! ༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽

Offline Dusk

• View Profile
Re: Omni Promotional Set, Your Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 11:54:19 AM »
Dugg I could see being used in DoD as a staller in conjunction with repair as an alternate win condition. Navi seems a bit conditional at best because she dies to 1 lightning blast. Raa will make lanstead decks pretty overpowered.

Offline Mody

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 11:56:40 AM »
I've already won a few games with Raa in Gen and Dugg in DoD. They're pretty damn powerful, especially Raa. Though he is causing desyncs at the moment, and that he creates 2 characters when a character dies, even when it is a sacrifice.

Offline TimetoSplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 03:25:02 PM »
Woah, thanks for letting us know about this.  I haven't cared about quests because I've always just thought "I'll get it when Infestation comes out."  But if these cards aren't in Infestation, then who knows when they'll be available again?  Hopefully soon so we can use them in ranked >_<

Offline Hjorvir

• Such brutal, much damage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 03:37:45 PM »
Say wut. I totally missed that, damn I should quickly get going and kill some enemies :X

Offline Mody

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 04:07:30 PM »
You two don't need to worry too much, the challenge ends on the 9th.

Offline The_Fallen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »
Extremly abusable characters.  No idea what they thought.... probably not much :-(

I guess if anybody plays them verore splash is the only option.
Still waiting. Hope declining.

For bugfixing information: Proud Windows XP User

Offline Salteador Neo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 04:41:23 PM »
I thought Raa was completely busted at first sight. After trying it, I now know it for sure lol.

Made my Sacullas Dream Land completely obsolete. New version is exactly 250% better  8)

Offline Hitori

• #YoboSwag
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 06:05:43 PM »
Extremly abusable characters.  No idea what they thought.... probably not much :-(

I assure you, some thought did go into making these characters.
They aren't legal in Ranked or Rift Runs, so I see no issue even if they are a touch too strong.
I conceive that a great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by false estimates they have made of the value of things.

Offline Kindran

• May Death's cold grasp deem you worthy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »
I have huge problems with all 3 of these.

Dugg: Pay 5 and heal for +15 (once per turn) while allowing health to go over 200? Talk about outclassing Repair 10 fold. Combine this with Kung Ji and gg.

Navi: pay 2 exhaust for 5 damage? This is much better than aleta sorceress pay 4 exhaust for 6 damage. Navi totally outclasses this card for the effect. Screw the win condition, I would use this card even if it did not have that win condition.

Raa: 30 characters may seem like a lot, but combine this with landstead and gg on turn 6 or 7 if the enemy does not have location removal. I do agree that this is much safer and easier than using Sacculas to win.

Overall, I do not like these cards one bit. I get what they are trying to do, but this is not the way it should be. The main thing I see is power creeping, huge power creeping.
Death's Demise shall arise when Life's Creation nullifies.

Offline Coolcor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 12:16:31 AM »

I assure you, some thought did go into making these characters.
They aren't legal in Ranked or Rift Runs, so I see no issue even if they are a touch too strong.

I'm not sure if it is really ok for cards that are too strong to exist in unranked. If a hypothetical overpowered Raa deck dominates the unranked games it won't be very fun for the all times people would want to play an unranked game without a Raa deck. And not everyone will be happy they are forced to play ranked all the time to avoid the overpowered decks.

Especially if the overpowered cards happen to be impossible to get for a new player and nobody knows if or when they will be able to get them again. It doesn't seem like a good way to welcome people when the game releases on steam.

Also what is the point of having promotional cards when so few people are playing the game right now and people not currently playing probably won't find out they exist? Not even a twitter or facebook post about these guys it is strange. Anybody coming back to the game for infestation release is going to be surprised if they like playing unranked when they find out they missed their chance at these cards.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:22:22 AM by Coolcor »

Offline Mody

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 07:43:38 AM »
I don't understand why Lightmare would make some of the most powerful cards in the game promotional cards. What will happen when they are unobtainable? Everyone else, especially newer players will be dominated. These cards are waaaaaay above the power curve.

I don't want to say too much as I don't want to sound like an idiot when  Teremus comes and explains all of this.

Offline soulmilk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 07:52:04 AM »
I am guessing some of them will be slightly nerfed or getting a clause that makes certain combos not so abusable.
Even Unranked needs to have balance.
Yobo, Forever Alone

Offline Salteador Neo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »
Coolcor nailed my exact same thoughts. *claps*

Offline LunarEntropy

• Celestial Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »
To me these cards seem purely for fun, in fact try to build a completely factionless deck for casual play using one (or all) of them!
Yes, it's a little odd to have promotional-only cards right now when the game is still so young and small, but we don't know Lightmare's plans on
distributing them in the future.  For all we know later on they could come with completing the campaign on 100% or something.

I actually find promotional cards and limited-edition cards to be great.  They add incentive to play and complete the quests.  It's when the limited edition
cards are so powerful that people get upset when they miss out on them though.

These are so powerful that they almost might be there just to test the limits on power for individual characters,
which is a good thing to do when a game is still developing in it's early stages.

Here's to even more cards like this in the future!
A single spark to set the world ablaze.