Author Topic: Faction Idea  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Kilroy512

• View Profile
Faction Idea
« on: August 10, 2013, 06:11:51 AM »
This faction calls the planet Devorexaes (roughly derived from words meaning "devouring tide rises") home. A world destabilized after the calamity causing its already small landmasses to sink into the worlds single ocean, from which the planets name is derived. Ever since, the humans living on Devorexaes lived on large floating platforms created before the calamity to deal with population issues and created more using metals harvested from the ocean floor in its shallower parts.

Each human faction on the planet functions individually and the planet has known no war since the cataclysm, as they must focus all their efforts on surviving day to day with very limited resources with which to grow crops or raise animals, there simply are not enough resources left to fight over. What there is, is accessible to everyone. The ocean and all it has to offer.

In order to work on the ocean floor and get the fuel needed to maintain such large platforms, though, they use highly advanced drones referred to as "Dive Runners." The ocean of Devorexaes is perilous and filled with dangerous aquatic lifeforms, preventing the humans themselves from venturing far into the depths. As such, each society has created it's own style of Dive Runner since they were invented by a remarkable researcher, commonly referred to as Aleta of the Tideclimbers. (the ruling government of the second largest platform) The largest platform, The Delvers Union, was formed around four smaller platforms that came together to increase their odds of survival as each had resources the others lacked.

Each faction jealously guarded their unique design components ranging from entire schematics to function parameters (casually refered to as Dive Cores) as these are the lifeblood of each society. The better Dive Runners your society has, the more it can grow and the more spare resources it has to live off of.

Generations passed and society stabilized directly due to abundant use of Dive Runners to strip the ocean floor of metals and other various resources. They had even been able to create fertile soils by modifying samples found on the ocean floors and purifying them of salts. Everything was normalizing after a hard fought battle for survival.

As things started to look up for this society in shambles, a new invention was created by a descendant of Aleta, named after her great grandmother, as all daughters of the family were. (;)) Living up to her now revered lineage, she created a new, fascinating Dive Core that allowed the Tideclimbers Dive Runners to react to situations in real time and make split second decisions. This allowed for their Dive Runners to perform exceptionally well and explore into the deepest regions of the ocean depths. A number of them even developed language skills which allowed them to converse directly with humans to receive orders or report the results of a project.

Over time the Dive Runners slowly become more and more intelligent, they were often (though not always) treated as family. Eventually they were even given rights by the Tideclimbers and had an underwater outpost not dissimilar to a society of their own. With this new technology, it was not long before the Tideclimbers platform was the largest in the world. They enjoyed luxuries reminiscent of the old world and had a well working relationship with their, now supremely proficient, Dive Runners.

Not everyone was as enthused about their success. The now declining Delvers Union grew jealous of their neighbors success and shattered the longstanding worldwide peace. Using a technology kept hidden from the rest of the world, they bent the will of the creatures of the sea to their command and sent them to ravage the Tideclimbers platform.

After numerous generations of peace and recent prosperity, the Tideclimbers knew nothing of war and were easily wiped out, their bodies cast into the ocean or devoured, their platform left empty for the ambitious Delvers Union after only one brutal, seemingly endless night. The following day when the envoy of the Tide Runners arrived with their shipments of metal, they were greeted with nothing but death and despair. Seeing the fate of their former allies, the Tide Runners experienced something they had never felt before, rage.

As they turned to report what they had seen to the rest of the Tide Runners, they were greeted with a familiar call. It was Aleta, her eyes fierce and her hands trembling. The ocean struggled to hide her tears in vain. Nothing needed to be said. She was quickly outfitted with a prototype Dive Exoskeleton Suit (D.E.S. for short) allowing her to survive the depths unharmed and she returned with them to what was now their capital, Aleta, Mother of Machines.

[Edit]
Fixed some grammatical errors. :P

This took me around three hours to make. I figured I'd try my hand at making a legit faction back story and, to be honest, this came out a lot better than expected. 8) Hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

[Disclaimer]
This is fan fiction unless otherwise stated so don't think I have insider information or anything.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:10:46 PM by Kilroy512 »
Quote from: WWKnight
You are probably going to end up quoting me in your sig.  Everyone else already has.

Offline Hitori

• #YoboSwag
    • View Profile
Re: Faction Idea
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 07:14:34 AM »
What cataclysm?
Surely you mean Calamity!

/willreadlater
I conceive that a great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by false estimates they have made of the value of things.

Offline Kilroy512

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 07:32:32 AM »
What cataclysm?
Surely you mean Calamity!

/willreadlater

You'll be back. 8)

Also... fixed.
You are probably going to end up quoting me in your sig.  Everyone else already has.

Offline WWKnight

• View Profile
    • dTCG Sanctum - One stop for all your IW needs!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:23:05 PM »
You grossly overestimate my position here :p. I will just say, they aren't taking on faction ideas any time soon.
I'm a pretty big deal around here.

Feel privileged.

Offline Kilroy512

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 06:10:23 PM »
Yeah I know, they have not even released Rise yet. Pretty cool idea though eh?

Offline Hitori

• #YoboSwag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 10:27:49 PM »
Good story bro
I conceive that a great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by false estimates they have made of the value of things.

Offline Lateralus19

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 05:22:01 PM »
overall nice job. always encourge innovative thinking. couple of things i didnt quite understand but that's ok. my main thing is you know Aleta, is Immortal right? were you just trying to do soemthing different with her?

also, would this world be liken to Water World?  ;D

Offline Hitori

• #YoboSwag
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »
I believe he meant that the 'descendents' of Aleta are all the same Aleta, she is just lying to the world about her immortality.

Offline Kilroy512

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »
I believe he meant that the 'descendents' of Aleta are all the same Aleta, she is just lying to the world about her immortality.

This 8)

Offline NikP1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 11:10:21 PM »
Does she just disappear for years at a time until the "next Aleta" is old enough to have her appearance or something?

Offline Kilroy512

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 05:11:33 AM »
The post was getting huge so I didn't post about this, but basically the route I was going to go with was that each "Aleta" leaves on a pilgrimage in their old age and sets out into the ocean with an entourage of Runners. Sort of a sleight, hidden under family tradition. Once everyone who knew her personally has passed away she returns from her voyage posing as one of the descendents of the original Aleta. The memories die off with the people but not the history which allows her to slip right back in to society, none the wiser. (except maybe her)

[Edit] Added quotation marks around Aleta......... Don't judge me! :'(
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:04:10 AM by Kilroy512 »